Doug Aldrich with my old Blacktop '58

bonedarrell

Just stumbled across this video and noticed Doug playing the '58 Blacktop I sold him earlier this year. He has named it "The Black Hornet" and does it soooo much more justice than me!!! Such a BADASS looking guitar!!

I got to hear him playing that guitar a month ago, and i have to say... It was the best sounding guitar he played all night IMO. By far the coolest looking too! :rock:

Gna meet up with DA when WS is in town. I am bringing a fork just incase he wants me to carve my initials in the back! :rock: :rock:

Wow, that's freakin' COOL dude!!!! \m/\m/ What'd you sell it for?? $20, a sub, and a few free private lessons?? ;)

whoa whoa whoa, what's the story on this. Is that a r8 RI or a real 58? How did you go about selling it to him? This is so cool

bonedarrell":27sae44v said:
Gna meet up with DA when WS is in town. I am bringing a fork just incase he wants me to carve my initials in the back! :rock: :rock:

I was just about to ask if you signed it for him. :LOL: :LOL:

chrisrocksusa":1340bkz9 said:
whoa whoa whoa, what's the story on this. Is that a r8 RI or a real 58? How did you go about selling it to him? This is so cool

It is a '58 Historic Blacktop. They only made 75 of these in 2000 for Sam Ash. These were the only R8s made in 2000. He sought me out after I bought the guitar. It was listed on RT as well as Ebay. Doug was watching the guitar on eBay, fell asleep and the woke up the next morning to it being sold. I bought the guitar from "Baricola" on RT during that time. Doug contacted Baricola through eBay and asked if he could have my contact info so he could make me an offer. Baricola passed that on to me and I said, "Sure!"

Doug called me and said he has been wanting one of these for years!! I told him I didn't really want to sell it and the only thing that would trump this Blacktop would be a trade for one of his Les Pauls! He said he couldn't part with any of his Les Pauls really and offered a couple of his strats he used with DIO on the live DVD to choose from for a trade. Although I was tempted for novelty reasons, I declined because I loved this Blacktop so much. We agreed to keep in touch and that he would get right of first refusal if I decided to sell.

I later found another Les Paul I HAD to buy, but was going to need to sell one of my Les Pauls in order to do so and stay married............I knew I had one specific buyer for one specific Les Paul.......so I made the call and the rest is history. Doug and I have developed sort of a Les Paul bromance with each other and have stayed in touch since. He is a super cool guy!!

The very day he recieved the guitar, he took it directly to "That Metal Show" and played it! He asked me if the strings were new. I said I put a fresh pair of 10's on prior to shipping (Doug traditionally plays 11's). He said that would work since he doesn't have time to put on new strings and has to dash to the TMS studios. The guitar also had a set of Sheptone AB Tributes in it when he played it on TMS. He has since put in his sig pickups and added jumbo frets. The TMS episode is the one with Ann and Nancy Wilson if you want to look it up. You probably can do so from the TMS site. if you watch that episode, notice that the strings are top wrapped. That is how i do it. Doug doesn't top wrap. I just thought that was kinda cool. Anyway, here is a pic Doug sent me from backstage at TMS.
dcda12c57ccbeca6016a4f733b7135fc.jpg

And now you know......................the REST of the story!

John4021":39le1zjt said:
bonedarrell":39le1zjt said:

I was just about to ask if you signed it for him. :LOL: :LOL:

No, but I did include a singed 8x10 glossy 80's head shot of me in the case! He got a kick out of that! I am sure he had it framed and now it sits in his fireplace mantel :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

dude that is such a awesome story! I love it. I don't think it would be nearly as interesting to me if this had involved anything other than a les paul.

Back