Mick Mars 1989 Kramer telecaster build *COMPLETED*

ChadVanHalen

I'm building myself a new guitar, and some peeps have shown interest in it (And by some I think one) so in preparation of everything getting here, I'll start the thread and give you you all prelim specs so you all can wait on bated breath alongside me waiting for the month long wait for the glorious shafts of wood... Err...

I'll post updates and also update this first post so the generations to come don't have to scroll through a bunch of bs to get to my glorious new build...

First off, the original... Played by Mick Mars in 1989, used live and in a few videos (Kickstart and Same Ol Situation I believe)
99953-1.jpg

DSC_1352.JPG

(Note, yes, I am aware this guitar ^ has what looks to be a Super D... But that's not Mick's guitar... He switched from Super D to JB between Shout and Theatre of Pain... So, nyah)
maZ6T4N.jpg

I'm getting the body made for me by Mitch at KnE guitars over in Cali. He has a few "tribute" models (Most famously he has a 5150 model he sends with reflective '5150' stickers for those purists) and once I saw he had a GGG tele (Based off Mars' Girls Girls Girls telecaster... You know... The one with the tits painted on the back?) I knew I had to build myself a dedicated D standard guitar to jam to Motley Crue with. Only question is do I paint it myself and affix a mirror to it or pay someone to paint it black with the stenciled "Girls, Girls, Girls" on the front and tits on the back?... Being the broke kid I am I obviously went with the first one. It's an alder, single straight hum, one control and recessed trem (Luckily I'm no purist so I can take liberties... Especially in giving myself a recessed OFR...)
(Pictures will go here... Eventually...)

The neck is being made by Musikraft. Their banana 1 is based off the EVH/Kramer banana, so I went with that one, rosewood board, 12" radius with thin C profile (I think that's the closest spec wise I can get to one of the old late 80's Baretta necks), 22 frets with glow in the dark dots on the side of the neck (Another one of those liberties...)
(Again... Pictures... In a month...)

Underneath the mirror it looks like it's a sort of silver metallic flake... Now, had I bought the body from Warmoth I could have had them do a silver flake finish for another $200
Or do it myself. Cheap bastard-ing it again here.
I found this extremely detailed guide on flake finishing (On a tele no less) and all Chad will need to do is ruin a sifter or two

Everything else is pretty standard... OFR, Duncan JB, Schaller tuners. Cutting the plexiglass mirror and getting it nice may be another story and may require me going to a glass cutting place... But again, cheap bastard, I'll figure it out...

So there we go! As my stuff gets here and as I set it up I'll update this first post and also post below depending on how you want to read it.
Feel free to leave comments, questions, critiques, lustful desires toward me or the guitar, death threats or whatever down below

And welcome to the waiting game!

10/16/13
Hey! Well, after a bit of miscommunications and me shipping it to the wrong place Chad finally got his guitar and his neck and his days off! Took a bit longer since it decided to rain and snow since I got my guitar...
If you want to see mid process pictures and close ups you can find them on my Facebook page here but if not here's a picture of my finished product
946023_10151933074913276_566474105_n.jpg

Now all that's left is to wire her up and get the mirror cut!

11/2/13
Well, my deadline of getting her done for my show on Halloween fell right to the last hour (Literally drove from Salt Lake City to the place checking my wiring in my spandex and hair all done up straight down south to my show in Provo, tuning her up and getting the bridge all set during sound check!) but I got it done. Once I got it painted I went to my local guitar shop and had the guys I know there set her up since there's no way in hell factory shipped parts would be set up right and also asked them to check my wiring and make sure it all works properly, being the amatuer with the soldering iron I am, but their electrician guy comes in and out as he pleases so no guarantee that he'll get it done before my show which had me driving it from one guitar shop to another guitar shop to get it done right in the nick of time... But ba da da dum here she is in her (almost) finished beauty.
f4ehoi.jpg

There was no way I'd get the mirror on with the deadline I was pushing but now I have until January I think to get a mirror cut and screwed on before my next show...

And for those who care still after all this she plays great, the custom strap is a bit high but that's not the guitar's fault and playing on 10's will take a little getting used to, and sounds great... And thank God because all the last minute stress of little minute details I overlooked (Like the kind of shaft the pot had versus the knob I needed? That was a last minute surprise of information I didn't need after having all the parts shipped to me) but it was all worth it getting to use her at as big of a venue and stage we had on Halloween to play some Crue songs with.

4/21/14
Hey remember this thing from like a year ago?

Well I finally finished it thanks to one greekjgg who isn't even a member on here except to comment on this one thread about this guitar (and thank God he did cause if not I'd still be S.O.L.!) I had it all ready to only play Motley Crue songs with my cover band but I loved it so damn much I wanted to use it with my main band when we play for a lot of peeps this summer (Use this thing in front of a few drunks or opening for Vince Neil, Night Ranger, Quiet Riot and on a short tour with Last in Line... Hmm...) so I installed a Rockinger Black Box, which is a German trem blocker that has some sort of felt built into the end the blocks the trem block, I didn't hear any others that did, and put a D-Tuna on it since we drop for one song... I'm so happy about it, it isn't funny. Rehearsal yesterday everyone (especially the singer) kept looking over and admiring the guitar, and by admiring the guitar I mean looking at their reflections seeing how they look!

Much props to greekjgg (Not sure if he wants me to use his real name on here or not, so I'll stick with user name...) not only did he do this, he helped through every stupid question I asked about it AND told me he'll keep the layout so if I need another one I wouldn't need to send him the guitar... Highly recommend his services!

Anyway, here she is...

117u5u9.jpg

2po5im0.jpg

2yjsbgy.jpg

6t32w7.jpg

The last picture shows how despite my best packing job the shipping company beat the living hell out of it, but I'm too lazy to fill the pock marks so I'll just keep it, no one will notice they're too busy looking at the mirror anyway

Thanks, man! I've subscribed to this thread.

Was it a metallic flake on the original, or was it just a metallic silver finish?

rlord1974":p7fl7c93 said:
Thanks, man! I've subscribed to this thread.

Was it a metallic flake on the original, or was it just a metallic silver finish?
I always thought it was flaked, but looking at the SOS video, it does sorta look just like a standard finish... Decisions will have to be made down the road on how much work I want to put into painting...

very cool! Mitch does awesome stuff at KNE. I've got 4 or 5 of those KNE bodies floating around - some strat some tele. Here's what I did with a GGG body and an old Kramer neck.

Attachments

• yr;r.jpg
    yr;r.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 22,819
dstroud":1bbxlwyk said:
very cool! Mitch does awesome stuff at KNE. I've got 4 or 5 of those KNE bodies floating around - some strat some tele. Here's what I did with a GGG body and an old Kramer neck.
:thumbsup: H/S makes it look like those rare Kramer teles... Customs I believe they were called? (Been awhile since I snooped around Vintage Kramer)

How much extra was the neck pup route and the strat input jack? And how long was the turnaround on your body? I didn't want to be an annoying customer asking how long it'll take to get the body the moment I put the order in... But I'm curious and impatient!

ChadVanHalen":qd8c5amb said:
dstroud":qd8c5amb said:
:thumbsup: H/S makes it look like those rare Kramer teles... Customs I believe they were called? (Been awhile since I snooped around Vintage Kramer)

How much extra was the neck pup route and the strat input jack? And how long was the turnaround on your body? I didn't want to be an annoying customer asking how long it'll take to get the body the moment I put the order in... But I'm curious and impatient!

I don't think any of that cost any more. Turnaroud was fast - but you can email Mitch and ask your ETA. He's super nice and always answers the bazillion quiestons I always have really fast. I'm thinking it was a couple weeks for mine.

dstroud":1vagtiis said:
ChadVanHalen":1vagtiis said:
dstroud":1vagtiis said:

I don't think any of that cost any more. Turnaroud was fast - but you can email Mitch and ask your ETA. He's super nice and always answers the bazillion quiestons I always have really fast. I'm thinking it was a couple weeks for mine.
He seemed very particular on selling the "tribute" guitars as the original artist had it, so I just assumed any alteration like my recessed trem would cost more...

And that's good... So I only have a couple weeks to sit here... Waiting... Impatiently... :cry:

ChadVanHalen":3t47baiw said:
dstroud":3t47baiw said:
ChadVanHalen":3t47baiw said:
dstroud":3t47baiw said:

He seemed very particular on selling the "tribute" guitars as the original artist had it, so I just assumed any alteration like my recessed trem would cost more...

And that's good... So I only have a couple weeks to sit here... Waiting... Impatiently... :cry:

oh, recessed trem is extra - like $15 - I think the rest is no charge.

dstroud":18xzj2q9 said:
ChadVanHalen":18xzj2q9 said:
ChadVanHalen":18xzj2q9 said:

oh, recessed trem is extra - like $15 - I think the rest is no charge.
Ya, I figured similar charges would be applied to other alterations as well... But that's a good looking build, I'm glad you like KnE, I like some of the styles they produce and their price and could definitely see me doing a lot more builds through them.

Can't wait to see the build. I'd love to have a single hum tele like that, probably without the mirror though.

I just read a cool article about Mick Mars in a guitar magazine. That guy has always been a tone king. I just love the guy. His tone is just so thick and he knows how to get a full, beefy sound.

Aidanspaghetti":2wpu9yn6 said:
The sound of that Corabi album .......
Man alive - that is ROCK :rock:

Slo's I believe?
Live he uses a mix of like SLO, Marshalls, etc

In the studio he records like 100 guitars, some of them top of the line vintage equipment, some of them complete hunkers, and mixes them to sound like a ginormous wall of sound

It's one way to record lol

romanianreaper":20pxepjt said:
I just read a cool article about Mick Mars in a guitar magazine. That guy has always been a tone king. I just love the guy. His tone is just so thick and he knows how to get a full, beefy sound.

A bunch of their albums were tuned a whole step down so that added to it. I love playing along to Shout, Theater, and Girls. The funny part is that a lot of songs from theater are played using the same chords, just in different progression.

Metlupass2":fubil51e said:
romanianreaper":fubil51e said:

A bunch of their albums were tuned a whole step down so that added to it. I love playing along to Shout, Theater, and Girls. The funny part is that a lot of songs from theater are played using the same chords, just in different progression.
All their songs are in D standard... You can blame Vince's 0 vocal range for that one :LOL: :LOL:

ChadVanHalen":25c2v57s said:
dstroud":25c2v57s said:

All those so called custom Kramers were nothing more than Warmoth parts put together by 1 or 2 guys in the Neptune plant. I know, because I worked there in 1990 and saw it all done. At that time, 1990, they weren't cutting any necks or body's. Everything was ESP parts for higher end, Hondo's for lower end stuff. All the custom stuff was Warmoth parts.

Very Ironic I found this thread via google.

I'm working on my own Mick Tributes.

A quick few tidbits based on my own research.

1. Mitch's KNE bodies are great, I've bought them myself....however, the Mick bodies are only accurate in representing the Black girls model. If you look CLOSELY, you'll notice that his grey girls guitar is slightly higher and the top curves that go into the left side of the neck are not as recessed as the black version. Also, the horn on the other side is slightly lower as it is a bit easier to reach the 22nd fret on the grey version vs the black. I learned this the hard way.

Also, in reproducing the mirror guitar. Actually very easy if you have the right stuff. Keep in mind, the Japan replicas are different from Micks. Mick had a rear cavity for the control jacks, the Japan version has them in the top like a typical tele cut. The body shape for the mirror guitar is very close to the grey girls guitar as well. I assumed all these years it was the same for the black and grey girls but when I started my projects I figured this out.

greekjgg":umr02zrf said:
Very Ironic I found this thread via google.

I'm working on my own Mick Tributes.

A quick few tidbits based on my own research.

1. Mitch's KNE bodies are great, I've bought them myself....however, the Mick bodies are only accurate in representing the Black girls model. If you look CLOSELY, you'll notice that his grey girls guitar is slightly higher and the top curves that go into the left side of the neck are not as recessed as the black version. Also, the horn on the other side is slightly lower as it is a bit easier to reach the 22nd fret on the grey version vs the black. I learned this the hard way.

Also, in reproducing the mirror guitar. Actually very easy if you have the right stuff. Keep in mind, the Japan replicas are different from Micks. Mick had a rear cavity for the control jacks, the Japan version has them in the top like a typical tele cut. The body shape for the mirror guitar is very close to the grey girls guitar as well. I assumed all these years it was the same for the black and grey girls but when I started my projects I figured this out.
Wow, I'm Google famous?? :thumbsup:

I consider myself a guitar geek, especially with famous hero guitars (That's why I've built a few and "build" them online all the time), but I haven't really delved much into Mick's 80's guitars besides what models he used when (LPC, Baretta, Kramer Tele, Charvel, etc) but thanks for the info! Love learning new stuff... I'll keep it in mind even though I'm not making an exact copy (Side markers are glow in the dark from Musikraft and I'm going to have the bridge recessed as opposed to top mounted)

And just an update, Mitch has my body shipped, so it should be here Friday, I'll probably order the paint while waiting for the neck... And then after that It's all just parts like pups and trems and mirrors... So close!

Back