NAD: ELAN MK2 PRE BY METALHEAD ELECTRONICS - DINO FF TONES!

But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/

Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a":17d80z6z said:
maynardo":17d80z6z said:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM

I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.

I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.

technomancer":wnihbv9d said:
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a":wnihbv9d said:
maynardo":wnihbv9d said:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM

I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.

I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.

Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.

V2a":366itd34 said:
technomancer":366itd34 said:

V2a":366itd34 said:
maynardo":366itd34 said:

Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.

Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :LOL: :LOL:

technomancer":12r89s73 said:
V2a":12r89s73 said:
technomancer":12r89s73 said:

V2a":12r89s73 said:
maynardo":12r89s73 said:

Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :LOL: :LOL:

They both have three gain controls too! Oops, there I go again! :doh:

There is some truth to Mike at least being a fan of the Elan stuff. When I almost bought a Metalhead marshall, I sent him a pic of the circuit and he confirmed it was Metalhead modded. He had helped me with a Cali mod that needed work, and I emailed him about the amp, if he could confirm it was legit. He said it was and that he also owned a few of his own Metalhead Marshalls along with some original Joses.
Mike is great to deal with.

shred-o-holic":1bsdw75i said:
Metal1977":1bsdw75i said:
shred-o-holic":1bsdw75i said:
Metal1977":1bsdw75i said:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!

What was your main issue with it?

It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.

No I think it's always good to put that out there if that is what you found. With the plethora of options for high gain tone nowadays it may save someone a few bucks and wasted time. I have been an FF fan of Dino's tone for a long time so initially it sucks people like me right in.

I'm a fan of FF too, i thought the Elan MK5 Dino Preamp Pedal would be like a modern version of the old MK2 Elan Preamp. I have no experience with the old Metalhead Electronics stuff, but i really doubt that they sound the same.

shred-o-holic":3m8hy21u said:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/

The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?

Metal1977":1g10zeka said:
shred-o-holic":1g10zeka said:

The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?

Thanks, totally appreciate your input, as I temporarily got excited about the preamp pedals.. No more. . I have enough great gear!!! Rock on

Eric

Metal1977":179zzbd2 said:
shred-o-holic":179zzbd2 said:

Wow that's a bummer.......thanks again though :rock:

Metal1977":5957y29a said:
shred-o-holic":5957y29a said:

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was originally hyped about the pedal. The couple of demos I heard sounded poor, but I was about to chalk it up to user error and order one. I'm glad I didn't now.... :aww:

An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.

thegame":3of1tlut said:
An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.

:thumbsup:

Back