Seymour Duncan JB vs Suhr Aldrich Video

moltisanti

I was switching the JB out of my Charvel today to put in a Suhr Aldrich so i thought it was a good opportunity to record each one in exactly the same settings/EQ etc back to back.

Anyway here goes, forgive my shitty editing it's the sounds that count! :D

Kravitz/Zeppelin selections sound better with the JB but that's not surprising to me, the JB lends itself to that style better.

The Aldrich is a great pickup, just needs harder rocking tunes to showcase its strengths.

in the room the JB is definitely raunchier, but i personally prefer the smoothness of the Aldrich, and Jer is right when the gain goes up the Aldrich is much tighter

I've got Aldrich's in my Suhr. My ESP came stock with the JB. I swapped out the JB for a Bare Knuckle Miracle man & didn't notice a 'huge' amount of difference. Maybe a little more clarity in the BK but the JB is a decent pickup.

I'm not over the moon with the Aldrich neck if i'm honest. It's pretty woody & clinical sounding. If anyone can recommend me a smoother, high output neck pickup i'd appreciate it. I did really dig the SD 59 that, again, came stock in the ESP but I'd rather treat my suhr to something a bit more boutique.

Good job with the A/B! I own a JB but I'm kinda digging the slightly darker mid voicing of the Aldrich on the rhythm clips, it's less raunchy but sounds more balanced in comparison, doesn't have that snark to it. How do they feel, did you have to dig in more on one pup more than the other?

JimmyBlind":1kw2jb7x said:
My ESP came stock with the JB. I swapped out the JB for a Bare Knuckle Miracle man & didn't notice a 'huge' amount of difference. Maybe a little more clarity in the BK but the JB is a decent pickup.

Actually I recently swapped out the stock Custom 5 in my LTD Elite Horizon FR for a JB and I like it much more, more mids and high end presence, the C5 was totally lacking for me on leads and rhythms had no sparkle in this guitar. JB's a great all around pickup, the Aldrich sounds pretty decent too.

As a side note, Seymour Duncan had a pretty good demo video about 3 different flavors of the JB: 35th Anniv, Production, and Antiquity in that order I believe.

EDIT: Sorry fellers, 2-year old news with this vid, my bad...

bulletproof_funk":33chdklr said:
Good job with the A/B! I own a JB but I'm kinda digging the slightly darker mid voicing of the Aldrich on the rhythm clips, it's less raunchy but sounds more balanced in comparison, doesn't have that snark to it. How do they feel, did you have to dig in more on one pup more than the other?

feel wise the Aldrich seems much easier to play to me, the JB is more raw and needs a bit more effort, whereas the Aldrich is smoother under the fingers and is more forgiving

I have an Aldrich set in my Carvin and JB in my Edwards. Both sound very similar through the Splawn. I agree the JB is a tough raunchier but I'm surprised they are so close in sound.

Really liked both here but agree with the statements made... JB is a little raunchier and in your face and the Aldrich a tad smoother and tighter here. I'm thinking the Aldrich might be what i am looking for! I'll stay away from the neck though.. I really like the dimarzio air classic bridge in neck position. Not high output though :(

if you like the JB but wanted it a little more refined and smooth then the Aldrich is perfect, that's exactly what i wanted

Thanx for the vid! I have spent time debating whether or not to try an Aldrich after having used JB's for several years in my strats and LP style guitars. For what its worth relative to the video, I like the JB for the rhythm stuff and the Aldrich for the lead work.

Sounds great. I like them both. I just got a guitar with a JB in it and really love the tones but I am big Aldrich fan as well. They are similar in the clips but both good in their own way IMO.

fender126":3hs60qi5 said:
Thanx for the vid! I have spent time debating whether or not to try an Aldrich after having used JB's for several years in my strats and LP style guitars. For what its worth relative to the video, I like the JB for the rhythm stuff and the Aldrich for the lead work.

yeah this is a good point, i find the JB great for riffy rhythms but can be a bit harsh up the dusty end at volume, the Aldrich sweetens out those highs for me

Back