Help me ID this Marshall

Norton666

Ok , so I consider myself to be fairly fluent in the language of Marshall , but this one has me stumped. Look familiar to anyone else?

That's interesting. Looks like it has a standby switch, so I'm thinking a tube amp, but I don't recognize it at all.

It's a protype amp Marshall built, supposed to be a metal amp based of a 2203KK

Stole this from another forum

It's like they took the 2203 KK signature as a starting point, but adding in all the features it's lacking, and a 3 filter sweep EQs to control the contour of the Gain when in boosted/beasted mode (there is no beast mode as such, it's just a similar concept) Its certainly something in that direction, but its a much more refined sounding amp than the KK.

In some ways, it reminds me a lot of a Diezel Einstein's first channel - in the sense that it's 1 row of controls for 1 channel, but that channel can do anything from Clean, to Crunch, to Metal. Just like the Einstein, it manages to balance all these modes and tones really well, so you don't experience volume drops or weird tonal shifts between channels - since it's all built into the one channel. Unlike the Einstien's major flaw however, the modes *are* switchable, with memory switching, footpedal control, etc.

Its got a Budda-Esq voicing to it - very open and dynamic, but ballsy and raw as hell if you want it.

The nicest thing about it is that it doesn't overly compress or squish your tone even at ridiculous gain levels. I found that with both the Budda's and the Diezel's - when recording high gain leads etc, my tone was getting overly compressed, and some of the nuances were being lost in the saturation. The Marshall allows me to get a smooth flowing high gain lead sound, but still capture all my dynamics and give it an open, almost vintage, flavor.

Certainly suits my style of play, but i'm sure it could be setup for some really aggressive stuff too. Likewise, the clean tones are brilliant and add a whole other realm of possibility to the amp

2022344810056398913s600.jpg

2682230700056398913s600.jpg

Never made it to production

Looks like the Prototype I saw Doug Aldrich playing a while back. Think it was on TMS. Or maybe a youtube vid.

Damn! Was the prototype a sig or slated to be a production amp? Honestly , Bjorns live tone is one of the best live tones I've ever heard

Norton666":2hko6mr5 said:
Damn! Was the prototype a sig or slated to be a production amp? Honestly , Bjorns live tone is one of the best live tones I've ever heard
Aldrich was playing it. Rumor mill said he maybe was gonna endorse it.
Never got off the ground.

Back