DSL 100H vs JCM2000 DSL 100

dfrattaroli":2n5xdjsa said:
I have a DSL from 2000. When I got it, it was a bit noisy so I changed every single cap and ended up adding a choke, changing the OT and doing the Fortin mods to it. I prefer the Red channel overall. After the mods, it has a load of gain. I usually never run the gain over noon. For playing at home it's great because you can get great saturation at lower volumes. I suppose if you were playing live and could turn it up, using the green channel on crunch with a boost would be great but then you'd have no real clean channel.

That's awesome Dave! Would love to hear a clip of yours!

JerryP":1uyr77pm said:
I like the JCM2000 version better myself. The new version sounds like shit out of the box IMO. I do like the resonance control over the deep switch. Circuit wise they were very similar. The new version can be pretty sweet with some work and is built a bit cleaner inside.

Hey Jerry, The resonance control on the new ones is that just a pot in place of the 10k resistor (R43)? Or is more of a traditional depth control?

dfrattaroli":zx3s1crp said:
I have a DSL from 2000. When I got it, it was a bit noisy so I changed every single cap and ended up adding a choke, changing the OT and doing the Fortin mods to it. I prefer the Red channel overall. After the mods, it has a load of gain. I usually never run the gain over noon. For playing at home it's great because you can get great saturation at lower volumes. I suppose if you were playing live and could turn it up, using the green channel on crunch with a boost would be great but then you'd have no real clean channel.

The Fortin mod is an amazing sounding mod for the DSL! (no disrespect to others as I haven't heard there mods) That really makes the red channel kill and a better balance from green to red channel. For right now I'm enjoying the stock JCM2000 DSL and really like reading these comments between the two. I've heard that Marshall may be releasing a new DSL line up.

I've owned both, currently own the 100h.
I have 3 strats and they sound great through it.
I never use lead 2, and my Gain sits at noon on lead1.

One of my strats has a hotrail Dave Murray set in it and doesn't sound nearly as good as my other 2 Strats with the vintage noiseless they have.

I think the amp sounds great and when I kick on my soul food OD, it adds a nice transparent layer on it. I Didnt Buy it for high gain playing anyway. It's good up to Sabbath style stuff or me and I'm just fine with that.

gibson5413":l6gp7not said:
dfrattaroli":l6gp7not said:

That's awesome Dave! Would love to hear a clip of yours!

Coming up. I think I have a short vid at home. On the road right now.

Snave":bfutku8b said:
Keep in mind many older JCM2000s have well documented bias drift issues.

The new DSLs have way too much gain and are very harsh on lead 2.

True. When I was learning to work on mine I read everything I could. I actually nodded my existing board to eliminate the bias drift. Rock solid now. I also bought a replacement board to keep on the shelf in case I toasted mine. It's still on the shelf and unused.

Can the Fortin modification be done to both the newer with the resonance and the older without the resonance ?

I'm thinking about picking one up and deciding between the old and newer....

I might not modify it at all.

I cannot tolerate the new DSL 100's.JCM2000 DSL all day.

I have played both next to each other. I don't like the high gain on either tbh, but if I had to pick for higher gain, JCM2000 all day.

I have had multiple jcm 2000, have both 100 and 50 watt now... a couple friends have/had dsl100H.. I'll keep my older ones. The new ones do sound good, just find the older ones sound better.

Back