DSL 100H vs JCM2000 DSL 100

ZoSo

Hi, new poster here. I've seen a few threads around on this but it kind of seems like a matter of taste or is the older JCM2000 really better? I tried a DSL100H and it seemed a bit fizzier than I would have expected on lead 2...

I think Lead 2 was always fizzier and that the amp is known more for the green channel with crunch in and a boost or Lead 1 + a boost for more saturated tones. I have heard lots of people say Lead 2 is for the most part, not that usable.

I actually liked the DSL100H more than the older DSL. I Know that the 100H is Made in china or whatever but i liked the tone of lead 1 more. i played it at GC through a Marshall cab with the 75's in it. i also like the idea of the Resonance know rather than a deep button. Seems more usable to me.

The resonance knob is definitely much better than the deep switch, pentode/triode is a nice additiob also. Maybe the newer DSL100H has a bit more of a compressed and less warm tone compared to the older one?

Also how would you guys compare either of them to the RM100 and the whole module thing? Are the tones really there in the modules or do they seem a bit 'fake'? Like would they have the balls and raw tone of a 'real marshall'?

The RM series are terrific. Once you get your module dialed in they can be awesome. The only real problem is going into module acquistion mode, always looking for the next "perfect" one.

I found that the new DSL 100H had an unusable lead 2, once you turn the gain past noon its gets mushy, you could boost it though and keep the gain down, the 2000s seemed to be better in that area, but I agree the crunch channel is fantastic,

I always found the Randall stuff to be lacking slightly compared to vintage iron in a Plexi or early 2204 but with the right module and one little secret.. the whole thing can come alive. It's a solid rig for sure and mine i would say is finally on par or at least at 95% with my JCM800.

So the secret.... ya gotta run the volume on the module itself, past 1 pm. I usually set mine around 2 or before 3. This means you have to keep the volume on the actual amp lower because like a JCM it'll get loud. If you don't do this and keep turning up the master, it just seems like it gets a bit louder, but that it is thin or lacking or fizzy. Krank that volume on the actual module and get that volume up on the amp and you are cooking. It's a great rig. Randall RM100 + a brahma module for more vintage crunch and grab something a little more high gain for lead tones or just boost it. Keep it simple, there are far too many options and you get carried away buying 4-500$ modded modules which you dial in the exact same way you would a stock module.

One knock against the amp though, $hit effects loop. It sucks. Can't handle pedals and I had problems even with line level rack gear. Wimpy signal. Again, it was "lacking" used that way. Straight up with volumes up, you have a kickass amp.

If I were buying a DSL though, I'd go old.

I like the older ones.. no they are not perfect
I do have the same pet peeves about them listed above, plus a few of my own, but I still think they sound better.
The RI I played did not have the beef of my older one

I love my old DSL, but have no experience with the new ones. I love the gain channel, but never use ultra gain(garbage) and NEVER use the mid scoop. I run the gain no higher than 1:00, and then use the koko to tighten up a bit.

I love my old DSL50 as well.
For home playing by itself, it doesn't sound as refined as my MarkV and others, but for live playing, it sounds amazing and cuts thru well.
I usually have the green channel w/ crunch mode on, gain set low for slightly dirty clean and the red channel with gain set around half for gainy rhythm and lead playing.

thanks for the replies, I guess maybe the difference isn't so big, but I'd probably go with a JCM2000 because it would be cheaper.

RM100 sounds great too, I will seriously consider this since I found a really really good deal on one (actually RM100KH) about $800-$900AUD + matching cab

Just played a JCM2000 and the RI today at two different stores. The RI sounded terrible to me. The gain channels are harsh, buzzy and way too compressed. The JCM, as stated above, does have it's issues; but I'd take it over the RI any day.

looks like I am getting closer to a RM100KH funnily enough... $875 AUD with matching cab (the one with v30s & 75s). damn good deal.

what's the reliability like on these things? I'm assuming if it works when I test it out then it should be ok.

I have them both and both with bigger, ClassicTone output transformers. I also put a choke in my 100H, but haven't gotten around to it with my JCM2000 yet. I have the choke, and plan to install it in the next week or two. It's a tough call. I only like the green channel on the 100H, and it totally kills with a good pedal. Still undecided on the JCM2000. Somehow the JCM2000 seems to have more depth or ooomph to it, but then I haven't really A/B'ed them side by side, which I still need to do. I have the 100H for sale now, but may keep it and sell the JCM2000 instead. I really don't need either, but want to keep one for a backup. The 100H is a little bigger and heavier than than JCM2000 and it's easier to work on. Really torn about which to keep.

standard.jpg

I have had both a few times. Still have a DSL100H sitting around.

Lead 2 is unusable on either model. Mushy mess.

They both sound similar, but the DSL100H model sounds slightly less annoying on the red channels

Reverb sucks on the new model and it's digital. It's a tank on the JCM2000 models

New model has better controls and sounds every bit as good, if not slightly better sounding than the JCM2000 model

IMHO

I have a DSL from 2000. When I got it, it was a bit noisy so I changed every single cap and ended up adding a choke, changing the OT and doing the Fortin mods to it. I prefer the Red channel overall. After the mods, it has a load of gain. I usually never run the gain over noon. For playing at home it's great because you can get great saturation at lower volumes. I suppose if you were playing live and could turn it up, using the green channel on crunch with a boost would be great but then you'd have no real clean channel.

I like the JCM2000 version better myself. The new version sounds like shit out of the box IMO. I do like the resonance control over the deep switch. Circuit wise they were very similar. The new version can be pretty sweet with some work and is built a bit cleaner inside.

FWIW, i got my DSL100H used from a dude who did all the tube rolling and biasing before i got it. It could be just the tube combo that makes me prefer the newer ones. I just know i have owned 3 JCM2000 versions before this one and this one sounds better. It ain't my Friedman, but it's a killer head.

Back