Mixing Creamback - V30 - K100

Junk Yard Dog

I play rock of all kinds through a modded JCM800 and a vertical 2x12 that is semi open back.

I've got the V30 and K100, and am now interested in the Creamback H75.

Anyone have experience with all 3 speaker? I'm trying to keep some mids/cut, but my amp has a lot od that on its own.

Thx!!

Yeah.. I currently play a mix og H and M Creambacks. I love them.. it's like a modern take in a greenback. Tighter and slightly bigger low end. The H is a quite punchy speaker, still with the greenback woody mids. The M has more complex mids, and is a great addition to the H in a mix.
Never liked the K100.. the V30 was always too modern sounding for me.

The creambacks has that perfect sizzling top end with all the benefits of more modern speakers. I'm selling my V30's.

I play Wizards, modded Marshalls and a MKIII.

If you were going to mix, I think the V30 would go great with the H75. V30s and H30s are a proven combination so there's a good chance the higher powered H would also sound good with the V30.

Bumping this thread...So I've tried the following and here are my notes below. Keep in mind, I play a Splawn Pro Stock (awesome, has lots of cut, bite, mids, and can be bright with some speakers) and I play though a diagonal 2x12 with a semi-open back at the top in the back:

CBH75 with V30: CUTS, CUTS, CUTS...Actually, I was surprised how similar these speakers are. You can hear the mid-forward nature of the V30, but the H75 has some mids to it also, no doubt. More so than the H30 I had a while back. I did experience some ear fatigue with this combo after a four hour show (play in a cover band). So I had to try out a new combo...

V30 with CBM65: This was good, but wasn't quite sure about it. Seemed something was off, but it was several weeks ago, so I cannot recall exactly. Still, it warmed up the amp a tad, it seemed, and that's sort of what I was looking for.

CBH75 with CBM65: This was sounding awesome the other night, until I jammed Crue's Kickstart My Heart. I selected Gear 2 (JCM800) with OD2 engaged and the Gain at about 2pm. Something about it was fuzzy...not fizzy, but fuzzy, inarticulate. I know the H75 is very articulate, because it is crisp and can be too bright if you eq the amp that way. I felt like the CBM65, which was the top speaker closest to my ear, wasn't handling the gain well or something. Not sure. It was the last song of band jam, so I need to play around with it some more.

My goal of adding the M65 was to take some of the "harshness" out of the H75/V30 combo. I probably need to play with settings a bit more, but Gear 1 (Plexi) on the Splawn can get pretty nasty/gritty/harsh if you don't EQ it right.

Still, the M65 is warmer, fatter mids, but also seemed less articulate. I found myself turning up the presence. BUT, I was also standing 5 feet away. I need to stand further out to see what the crowd would hear at some of the shows we do not mic amps.

Hence, I thought to try the K100. I know that using higher power and efficiency speakers cause things to seem louder and more enhanced, and I know the K100 is some mids, lots of bass, and rolled off highs. Was thinking of trying it with any one of these speakers.

Any thoughts??

Love the G12K85, which I'm told is the same as the K100.
Indeed big bass, but tight/controlled, same with the mids. Overall a very balanced speaker, with a slightly modern, punchy tone. No harshness, but not dull, or overly smooth either. The G12-65 for instance (not the M65!) is a lot smoother and thicker, but more compressed too.

Good analysis JYD.

I haven't played m65 or h75. But the way you describe your findings is spot on to how I hear them. Even the v30. Like the v30 for metal in the mix. But alone, playing by yourself, cleans are rough and I like a more scooped speaker for cleans.

Might wanna try those lynchbacks in there. More smooth v30/greenback. A little more bass.

Kinda why I like eminence governors. Eminence are a little more round over celestion, but maybe not as much cut.

Speeddemon":36oelode said:
Indeed big bass, but tight/controlled, same with the mids. Overall a very balanced speaker, with a slightly modern, punchy tone. No harshness, but not dull, or overly smooth either. The G12-65 for instance (not the M65!) is a lot smoother and thicker, but more compressed too.

You ever mixed the K85 with another speaker?

Junk Yard Dog":17j1vocx said:

I have some 85s mixed with m65 creambacks, works awesomely. The 85s have a really "warm" bottom end to me and the creams are quite "3Dish" (i'm not good at putting sounds into words :LOL: :LOL: ) and a little "dark" so the 85's balance them out nicely (using them with a 5150iii)

Junk Yard Dog":2rhid8zo said:
Speeddemon":2rhid8zo said:

Oh, of course I have. :)

With G12-65; big, phat and friendly.
With V30; "welcome to Punch-Town, population: Mayor Chunk" :rock:
With Elite 80 (bigger sounding Classic Lead 80:) Defined, but rather modern, almost lifeless.
With G12M-65 Creamback: Some days great, other days meh. Hard to describe.

Given my impressions with the Elite 80 (which currently resides in a 1x12 open back cab), I'd venture to say that a mix with a Classic Lead 80 might be very nice for defined mid range, without nasty aggressive artifacts, but at the same time, perhaps a little too safe, or dare I say bland... But who knows, someone else may love that tone.

To give you an idea of what I consider great metal guitar tone (the type of tone that I strive for:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcrH48BYdXc

I've played extensively with the speaker mixing alchemy.
With a bunch of identical 2x12s and a 4x12, I was able to mix pairs either in the same 4x12 or separate in 2x12s. I concluded that speakers mixed in the same cab sound less than the sum of the parts. The same mix sounds better in separate cabs. There is a phasing, causing a hollowness in comparison to the same mix in a pair of 2x12s. That was with a horizontal split in both cases, 2x12s on top of each other.
The phasing is far less in separate cabs stacked.
Even so, I also concluded that it was a more even, stronger sound using one speaker type at a time.
The addition of another speaker type brings in some new freqs and a different level of gain/volume, which dilutes the effect of a quartet of one type.
It took many months as I spent time with each combination and made sure I wasn't making snap decisions, carrying it forward to another day to take it on with fresh ears.
It's a fine gimmick to provide a mix in a new cab, but it is just that to me, a gimmick.

Well, over the weekend I took out the Creamback H75 and replaced it with the K100 as the bottom speaker of my diagonal 2x12 and the Creamback M65 on top: IMPROVEMENT. The tone was less strident with my Splawn. It felt like there was a little less sizzle, which could be perceived as slightly less gain than before, but that's good!!

I keep the Gain on my Splawn around 1:00, mainly using Gear 1 and 2 and engaging OD2 when I need. At higher volumes, this sometimes equated to less articulation, but that's probably also due to the tubes I use, which I will change next. The Splawn has more than enough gain in its circuit, so I don't need high gain tubes in there, just good tubes in general. I'm using an RFT and it's great in my other Marshall, but I think it's too much gain for the Splawn. Also, I've learned that like just a little speaker flavoring rather than too much; I'd prefer the amp to the the work more than the speaker.

That said, I think I now want to try the K100/V30 mix, so I'll likely try the V30 as the bottom speaker and the K100 as the top. Will report back later.

Bump. Thinking of trying this mix with my BE50 or the V30/M65 mix. I know the Friedmans come with either 2 V30s or the V30/GB mix in the 4x12s. Playing hard rock to early metal.

If you do try that, please let me know what you think? I've been thinking of trying the same combination... don't have a BE50, but do have lots of Marshalls and Marshall-types. I'm wondering if this combination might be a useful flavor to keep in a cab or two. On paper (or more accurately in my head), it seems like it would be a good mix. I just haven't tried it, yet. :)

Back