Gibson G Force tuning. What a pile of sh.......

marshallmel

18 month interest free financing at Guitar Centet is ending at the end of February. I figured I'd take advantage of it and get a LP Jr. Went with a Special DC with P-100's. Wasn't too keen on the automatic tuners, but I figured I could get used to them. The guitar wasn't staying in tune the best but I figured with new strings and a set up it would be fine. WRONG!!! What a colossal piece of shit this tuning system is. I put new strings on, stretched them out and yet I am still constantly having to tune this thing. Looks like instead of taking advantage of Guitar Centers 18 month interest free financing, I'll be taking advantage of their 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Gibson went/is going right down the shitter. They (Henry), fired the artists relations dude, which has been there for years, only to hire his son. Besides that, the Les Pauls have become a complete joke. They're changing everything, neck size, waterslides, holograms, WTF????

I bought two gorgeous Les Paul Standards in 2004 for $1640 each. They were flawless. They now run just south of $4K? I cruise the various LP forums just to read the 'My New $$$$ Les Paul has a Blemish, Is this Right' Only to open the thread with pictures of hideous orange peel, fucked up electronics, and the worst fret and binding work you've ever seen. it's actually quite sad.

This particular guitar is great. I can take that shit tuning system off, but why should I have to alter a guitar that is brand new?

The min-Etune system on my 2014 SG actually worked flawlessly, which surprised me. I still removed it since it looked ridiculous and was gimmicky. Pulled it off and sold it, bought a nice set of locking Grovers.

I feel for ya!

Maybe I'm just old but personally I couldn't imagine owning a guitar that tried to tune itself.. I think it would drive my OCD self crazy!!!

...lol

marshallmel":3jf31hoh said:
I'm just returning it and avoiding the hassle altogether. I am lazy and I take the easy way out.
Yeah, I don't blame you. I was real hesitant to go with the SG because of it. Mine worked well right from the start so I got lucky. A friend of mine has his go haywire right from day 1. He returned his as well and had the same sentiments....why should he have to mod a brand new guitar. Wonder what the return numbers on these are and if Gibson and nutball Henry are paying attention.

the G-Force and the scribbled Les Paul logo that looks like a 1st grader with a gold paint sharpie really fucked up 2015 models.

I'd never own one myself and will stick to grabbing used historics anyway

What a shame. 10 years ago, Gibson was pumping out some of their best guitars ever.

Worse than the tuners for me is their new neck profiles.......I hate them. Then the stupid scribbled logo. Their guitars now are so full of suck.

danyeo":3fp9r2dm said:
Worse than the tuners for me is their new neck profiles.......I hate them. Then the stupid scribbled logo. Their guitars now are so full of suck.

Glad I snagged a 2014 just before they went into "so full of suck" mode :LOL: :LOL: Its like they went, "Hey I know...lets completely f#ck with our guitars, change 'em up the worst anyone has seen since the Norlin era, and while we're at it, we'll jack the prices way up too!" Yeah! Right on Gibson! High five! :no: The sad thing is, apart from the silly robot tuning thing, my '14 SG is probably one of the best recent Gibson's I've played or owned. Its like they started doing things right again in 14 and then turned around and completely shit the bed for '15.

The new "Les Paul" logo on all the headstocks is supposed to be a copy of Les' actual signature, copied from a signed pickguard. Just another example of bad decision making by 'ol Henry. According to both LP forums, hardly any of the 2015's have been selling. It'll end up like the 2012's (stacked fingerboard fiasco). They were doing great with the 2014's and then...into the dumper.

The Collector's Choice line is out of hand. It seems they release one every 45 minutes. What cash grab idea will they come up with after they've copied all the known Bursts.

One of my favorites was the release of the 'Beano' from the Custom shop. There's like, what, two or three black and white pictures of it, and they release a guitar that is supposed to be an exact replica of it?

Even though I have one, I'm really not an LP guy. And after reading this, I'm glad. I will say that I played a 2015 Standard last week at a GC. Hated it. Played a 200$ Agile and it was a better guitar. Seriously. Flame away if you must...

NoiseUnderTheFloor":1c9wejpe said:
danyeo":1c9wejpe said:

Its like they went, "Hey I know...lets completely f#ck with our guitars, change 'em up the worst anyone has seen since the Norlin era...
I disagree. Norlin era Les Paul guitars are some of the finest built, best sounding Gibson's I've ever owned. I'll take a Norlin over anything I've seen from Gibson since 1982.

TrueTone500":7e6j28vh said:
NoiseUnderTheFloor":7e6j28vh said:
danyeo":7e6j28vh said:

Its like they went, "Hey I know...lets completely f#ck with our guitars, change 'em up the worst anyone has seen since the Norlin era...
I disagree. Norlin era Les Paul guitars are some of the finest built, best sounding Gibson's I've ever owned. I'll take a Norlin over anything I've seen from Gibson since 1982.

My comment was aimed more at some of the design changes they made during that time more than the guitars themselves. My Norlin era SG is still one of my faves, I've owned it for nearly 30 years. Its not for everyone though....really skinny neck and low wide frets. Those Norlin LP's aren't for those with weak backs though...boat anchors! :LOL: :LOL:

So far the worst Gibson's I've played have definitely been from 2011 - 2012. I bought and returned 3 within those 2 years. Absolutely shameful, piss poor. I nearly gave up on owning another Gibson due to that run. Some of the worst, most glaring, finish flaws, fret, and nut work I've ever seen.

Racerxrated":l9dnj6yy said:
Even though I have one, I'm really not an LP guy. And after reading this, I'm glad. I will say that I played a 2015 Standard last week at a GC. Hated it. Played a 200$ Agile and it was a better guitar. Seriously. Flame away if you must...
You and I are on the same page. I recently played a 2015 LP Standard and a Firebird, and both were horrible. The Firebird was seriously unplayable. Both had fret ends sticking out that actually cut my hand. The finish felt plastic-ey and sticky for whatever reason. The LP sounded completely dead unplugged. It didn't resonate at all.

I went home, picked up my Agile silverburst, and was so happy. I paid $160 for this guitar :LOL: :LOL: So much better than those overpriced pieces of shit

NoiseUnderTheFloor":x0p5mti7 said:
TrueTone500":x0p5mti7 said:
NoiseUnderTheFloor":x0p5mti7 said:
danyeo":x0p5mti7 said:

My comment was aimed more at some of the design changes they made during that time more than the guitars themselves. My Norlin era SG is still one of my faves, I've owned it for nearly 30 years. Its not for everyone though....really skinny neck and low wide frets. Those Norlin LP's aren't for those with weak backs though...boat anchors! :LOL: :LOL:

So far the worst Gibson's I've played have definitely been from 2011 - 2012. I bought and returned 3 within those 2 years. Absolutely shameful, piss poor. I nearly gave up on owning another Gibson due to that run. Some of the worst, most glaring, finish flaws, fret, and nut work I've ever seen.
I purchased a 2011 LPC 70's era model, which is built to early 70's Norlin era specs. Best post '82 LP I've ever owned, and every bit as nice as my '78 Custom. 2003/04 resulted in some nice Standard's. 2008 was a great year for the '68 LPC reissue, mainly because of the mahogany.

Here's my 2011 70's spec Custom... I love the volute on the Norlin necks. :)

Specs are:
Ebony Finish
Pancake-Style Mahogany Body
Maple Top
3-Piece Mahogany Neck
Long Neck Tenon
Ebony Fretboard
24 ¾" Scale Length
22 Dunlop 6190 fret wire
1-11/16" Nut Width
Gibson ABR-1 Bridge
Gibson Aluminum Tailpiece