Washburn USA---Gone

nevusofota

The oldest USA guitar company is no more. The Washburn US Chicago custom shop has closed yesterday for good. This is where the N4's were made. Looks like all Washburns now will be made in the far east. It's unsure what will happen to the N4 model, as that was the only model that mattered in my opinion. I've played just about every guitar and my early Davies N4 continues to be my favorite. Many here on RT won't care. It's a sad day due to the history alone, really sad for the players who love the N4. This must be why Nuno has been buying all the fan's early N4's during the meet and greets.

Late entry here to Washburn....I have a Grover Jackson era MG 94 with an iridescent finish. Great guitar. Something about a used USA guitar that I value over buying a new Asian one....rather have the US made vintage. Every time I look for a different axe I look for a Washburn, Hamer, Charvel.....sad news about Washburn indeed.

Randall went with them...that whole group of companies I was told are gone by a buddy in the biz...

Bummer. End of an era. I've never owned a USA Washburn but have played a number of them. Great guitars. Too bad they never achieved great success in the marketplace.

Bummer. Seems like they never found a groove, a thing they did that made them distinctive. The N4 and its neck joint were cool, but I guess they never took off the way the Ibanez Jem did.

My buddy had an N4, and it was easily one of the best guitars I have ever played. It sounded good, and played AMAZING!! Its too bad they are gone.

Bummer. Anyone remember when usamusic got hammered for bringing in Asian built bodies and necks and stamping them as made in USA? That was the beginning of the end...

Actually, Eric of Boogie Street stated that business was booming between 2004-2009. Then the effects of the economy caught up with them followed by the parent companies and distribution changed then things went south.

Washburn's best years came after that "made in USA" scandall.

rottingcorpse":3vyf8wdx said:
Bummer. Anyone remember when usamusic got hammered for bringing in Asian built bodies and necks and stamping them as made in USA? That was the beginning of the end...

What in the fuck???

Dirty bastards :thumbsdown:

Washburn seems like a pretty lazy company IMO. Almost zero advertising. The high end stuff is never in stock.
I was interested in the Ola Englund Solar. Impossible to find. No product, No sale.

I had a Washburn USA Sonic that I loved and sold unfortunately. Wish I still had it. Had one of the first Dime Stealths as well.

But of course everyone wants the Nuno models which I'm sure are/were easier to get.

Washburn acoustics are bottom of the barrel.

The current shop closed, but word is they're looking for a smaller shop according to Ola and emails from several people that contacted them about it.

billsbigego":3rtjpytt said:
Washburn seems like a pretty lazy company IMO. Almost zero advertising. The high end stuff is never in stock.
I was interested in the Ola Englund Solar. Impossible to find. No product, No sale.

I had a Washburn USA Sonic that I loved and sold unfortunately. Wish I still had it. Had one of the first Dime Stealths as well.

But of course everyone wants the Nuno models which I'm sure are/were easier to get.

Washburn acoustics are bottom of the barrel.

This. I thought the Marzi model they were supposed to come out with was pretty cool, no idea who that guy is though. It was announced at the beginning of the year, now 7 months later and I couldn't find any info on whether or not these were produced.

The boogie street dimebags were bad ass! The import crosses were amazing too. Even the blue and black boogie bolts were great!

Wonder if my mint-ish USA dime slime just went up in value again.....it's amazing what you can get for them.

Rufus Leaking":2yaz9s6s said:
nevusofota":2yaz9s6s said:
The oldest USA guitar company is no more.

Martin is actually the oldest US guitar company, predating Washburn by 50 years....
Actually, you are half correct. Martin is older by 30 years, not 50. George Washburn Lyon and Patrick J. Healy started the company as a music store in Chicago in 1863. It was known as Lyon & Healy. The company was born even though they weren't making instruments. I apologize however and should have stated: "One of the oldest USA guitar companies is no more." I'll be sure to proofread next time before committing to the Submit button. ;)

Definitely a sad day. I loved the face eraser and dime models. Always wanted to check out an N4.

Back