NGD!! ESP Jeff Hanneman. The blackest of fury.

GJgo

I did something I probably shouldn't have, bought a guitar that I've always wanted but it's far above my pay grade. Screw it, it's my 40th birthday. :)

I've had the LTD JH-600 for years now, and I think that is the best mid-grade rock / metal that money can buy. Everything about it just kills. All this time I've wondered, what makes the ESP version 5 times the cost?!?! Well, the honeymoon isn't over yet so we'll see but I wanted to start talking about it since I couldn't find any direct comparison reviews anywhere. To be honest, the JH-600 hits way above its price point IMO & the differences, while there, are subtle. The ESP definitely has the best fret work of any guitar I've ever played. It's amazing. The mirror dagger inlays look insane in lighting. The sustain is unreal. The NTB shoulder has a better profile. All that said, and these are really splitting hairs, the JH-600 is a little heavier & I think has a slight edge in the tone department. They both have crushing amounts of high gain on tap.

I've also played an LTD KH-602 vs. an ESP KH-2 & there's a much bigger difference in quality there- the KH-2 has solid improvements over the LTD version. I've played a lot of LTDs and really any of these mentioned IMO are leaps better than your standard LTD, but then again I scoff at anything that doesn't have an extra thin neck profile. God, there are so many things that make a guitar awesome to play- or not. I guess anything high end is like this- same theory in what I do for a living- you can get about 80-85% for a pretty reasonable mid tier cost. That last 15-20% is going to cost you a lot more. Is it worth it to you?

Anyway, what questions do you guys have about it? Realistically I'll probably play it for a little while to get the experience, then sell it while it's still in excellent condition when the reality of how much I just spent sets in...

This is the guitar, BTW.
http://www.6-string.com/esp-jeff-ha...ies-custom-shop-2008-new-electric-guitar.html

There is one or two other members here that I know of that have true "custom shop" Jeff guitars along with myself, actually I have a few of Jeff's personal guitars. Does yours have a K or T serial or is it a SS serial?

If its a SS just look to selling it and get a K serial if you can. Good look finding a T serial but nice guitar either way. I still one day would like to grab a H and sword inlay in the future.

By the way I had a LTD S and Key inlay and that was one of the Korean made lines before they went to God nows where in Asia now but it was very impressive and nice quality.

Thanks, mine is a K serial. Made in 2008.

I forgot to mention this guitar has the lowest (usable) action of any guitar I've ever played. It is lower & faster than the 600, no doubt. Once again, another subtle difference though. If you can afford the ESP it is definitely a better instrument. Also, the SPC knob does nail the Slayer lead tones...

The 600 is a Korean made one, those guys are actually doing really good work on their higher end stuff. If you're on a budget I wouldn't hesitate recommending one.

I'm glad you think this way. I have owned many ESP signature guitars. I only have a couple LTD's now as priorities have changed and I didn't want much money tied up in gear.

I have two guitars that play and sound just as good as any ESP I have owned and some of those have been custom shop. I will tell anybody who can justify the cash to always go with the ESP but there are guitars out there ie. Ltd jh 600 that will and can play and sound just as good. Maybe they don't have all the nice details but now that I'm over that I find I can actually enjoy my gear more knowing I don't have as much money tied up in it.

I've been playing JH-600's for a few years now. Like them better than the real ESP's I have.
Solid, well built. And sound great. Especially thru my JCM800KK head.

EXPcustom":11yqnmsr said:
There is one or two other members here that I know of that have true "custom shop" Jeff guitars along with myself, actually I have a few of Jeff's personal guitars. Does yours have a K or T serial or is it a SS serial?

If its a SS just look to selling it and get a K serial if you can. Good look finding a T serial but nice guitar either way. I still one day would like to grab a H and sword inlay in the future.

By the way I had a LTD S and Key inlay and that was one of the Korean made lines before they went to God nows where in Asia now but it was very impressive and nice quality.

is your website going live anytime ever? Remember you saying a few years ago that you had good photo's of Hanneman's rig.. Would love to see the ones you have.

lukeburke1":2xwmtzv8 said:
Sometimes you just have to treat yourself. Congrats, and happy birthday!
Couldnt of said it better myself!!
Sometimes you just gotta say.... "Fuck it" and bust out that credit card. :LOL: :LOL:

Congrats man! Awesome axe!! :thumbsup:

toddmogle":h74d9swz said:
EXPcustom":h74d9swz said:

is your website going live anytime ever? Remember you saying a few years ago that you had good photo's of Hanneman's rig.. Would love to see the ones you have.

Long story but without going into details my friend/partner that was helping and providing those pics passed away unexpectedly and that's why the website sort of went away. I may bring it back in the future as an archive... if I have time.

GJgo":3mve0rz0 said:
Thanks, mine is a K serial. Made in 2008.

I forgot to mention this guitar has the lowest (usable) action of any guitar I've ever played. It is lower & faster than the 600, no doubt. Once again, another subtle difference though. If you can afford the ESP it is definitely a better instrument. Also, the SPC knob does nail the Slayer lead tones...

The 600 is a Korean made one, those guys are actually doing really good work on their higher end stuff. If you're on a budget I wouldn't hesitate recommending one.

K serial, thats awesome! :thumbsup:

Keep it, I would like to find one of these in the future with the H sword inlays.

EXPcustom":2ej8705o said:
toddmogle":2ej8705o said:
EXPcustom":2ej8705o said:

Long story but without going into details my friend/partner that was helping and providing those pics passed away unexpectedly and that's why the website sort of went away. I may bring it back in the future as an archive... if I have time.

if you want assistance, holler.

Congrats man!

Did the same for my 40th near two years ago! Treated myself to a FB100.

Good job man :rock:

Way I see it is at 40+ we've earned the right to be irresponsible with our money :LOL: :LOL:

Fucking :rock: in peace Jeff :salute:

Spent some time playing it tonight at volume with the house empty. Raised the Pup height up, cranked the SPC knob, rolled back the gain & turned up the volume. This is definitely a crushing guitar with some very heavy tones! One thing I like about the Kahlers is you can get lower string height / action than a FR, since the saddle doesn't rock in use. Leaves more wood in the guitar, too.

EXPcustom, everything has a price. If you want it more than I do let me know. :)

Spent some time this morning A/Bin the LTD & the ESP with my Tremoverb, which just has everything set to noon. There was a much more dramatic difference in tone here, than with my Mark which is heavily EQd. The ESP really shown more of its tone, sustain, and crushing chunk when swapping back & forth. I'm really starting to dig the SPC knob, too.

Back