Fractal AX8 Midi Question

Wizard of Ozz

Can you use the AX8 to control midi swiching (channel switching, modes, etc) on a Diezel or Engl amp?

If I can replace my midi pedal with the AX8 it might save me space to switch to he AX8. But if it can't handle midi switching for amp functions, I'll just stick with the Axe-FX XL and a midi pedal.

Thanks.

mudf00t":8bq3qljx said:

Yeah... I've seen this... but my amps have both: midi-in and midi-thru 7 pin midi jacks on the back panels... and can be controlled with a standard midi pedal as is... no extra converter needed... so I was wondering if the AX8 can serve as a basic midi pedal in addition to everything else it does?

PS: I've already read the AX8 manual and it really doesn't clarify this. It looks like it could, but I want to be sure.

Ok, if you look at page 94 in the manual it gives you the midi layout. Apparently, you CAN switch channels using the midi. I have not set mine up to do this yet as I have just been running into the effect loop and using the models.

Scenes on the AX8 will only send program change via midi so keep that in mind if you want to use scenes in the AX8. If those amps will respond to PC changes then you should be fine.

My fx8 works flawlessly with DMoll through the midi

Last year it did not work, but thankfully Fractal came up with a software update that made it work a few months ago

mudf00t":zwdaurgf said:
Ok, if you look at page 94 in the manual it gives you the midi layout. Apparently, you CAN switch channels using the midi. I have not set mine up to do this yet as I have just been running into the effect loop and using the models.

That's how I understood it as well... just wanted to see it in practice. Sometimes midi gear doesn't play nice with each other.

mhenson42":33268u19 said:
It should be able to change the channels on any MIDI amp.

Hey Matt. Thanks.

crankyrayhanky":33268u19 said:
My fx8 works flawlessly with DMoll through the midi

Last year it did not work, but thankfully Fractal came up with a software update that made it work a few months ago

This is exactly what "bugs" me. Updates, bugs and fixes.

So it looks like in theory and on paper it should work then. This will free up some space for me.

mudf00t":14r8ge1o said:

I saw this one too... we think alike... :LOL: :LOL:

The thing is the Satan doesn't have midi built in or any midi in jacks. Ola is just using the 4 extra latching TRS out jacks (aux switching jacks) to switch channels/boost-on-off/loop-on-off on the Satan with AX8... which I will want to do with mine as well.
:yes:

If it can change channels and mode functions on my Engl SE... then all will be good. My Voodoo GC takes up a large piece of real estate.

SkyhighRocks":ln5dpvpx said:
The AX8 switches all 3 channels on my 5153 50 watter via midi.

Any chance you could create an instructional YouTube video, please?

About to receive my MkV:35 - and am curious how to setup the AX8 to switch channels, etc.

Thanks

-Scott

curious why you would choose AX8 rather than FX8? FX8 is specifically designed for 4 cable method and if you like your amps tone, that's the way to go IMO. BTW, I am switching my Fortin mod JVM using FX8. It will switch channels and modes of each - green, orange, red plus switch master 1/2, loop on/off etc.

thenine":1f1q3thj said:
curious why you would choose AX8 rather than FX8? FX8 is specifically designed for 4 cable method and if you like your amps tone, that's the way to go IMO. BTW, I am switching my Fortin mod JVM using FX8. It will switch channels and modes of each - green, orange, red plus switch master 1/2, loop on/off etc.

Good afternoon, thenine
I have actually owned the AX8 since it was released - however - I have recently decided to get a Boogie Mark Five:35.
I will continue using the AX8 in live situations for the effects, etc . - however, I may use the AX8 while in my home (for practicing, etc).

That is why I'm curious how to perform channel switching with the AX8.

Thanks

-Scott

Back