-HIGH GAIN CLASS A AMPS-

What about just getting a Mesa mark series amp like a iic+ and running it in its lower powered class A mode

The jtm-30 (30 watt mode) of the bogner Helios might also do what you want but I'm not sure if that's class A or not

JimmyBlind":2lzpwptw said:
ElectricVoodoo":2lzpwptw said:
That "Paul," is the best I have heard in a Deizel product yet.

Innit. I've toyed with the idea of switching out my VH4 for the Paul myself.

I know the VH4 has a class of its own and
is revered, I never gelled with what I've heard, never owned one either, so it's an unfair judgement, BUT.. that Paul...

Paul is a killer amp, super loud has chewy gain or tighter attack depending where you set the EQ. It's Class A/B unlike the Schmidt. The clean channel goes from clean to gritted up British tones, channels 2&3 takes your from more vintage rock to all out metal (even without a boost). If you're looking for unique tone the Paul has it, if you only want a class A amp since it reacts differently than those "fizzy" amps you've mentioned :confused: I'd say play some amps with more headroom. Oranges with the gain down and volume up aren't really fizzy to me. I like a lot of gain, the Paul never gets fizzy. I have mine for sale but only because I spent a lot of $$ on a James Tyler recently...otherwise I'd hold onto it for a while.

Kind of out of left field here, but maybe consider an Ceriatone 18W TMB?

One side is similar to a Vox circuit with just Volume and Tone. The other side is your standard Marshall TMB style circuit. You can get it with a PPIMV.

That amp, cranked, with a treble boost in front sounds like what you're looking for, to a T.

Yeah, any Mesa Mark that's Simulclass has a Class A mode. I usually run my MkIII in class A when practicing, it can still get still stupid loud.

Also, the Randall Diavlo 5 watt head is class A.

I really dig my Bat Cat Lynx 50. You really have to dial them in, though. Once you understand how the controls interact and get it dialed in to your liking, they sound warm, thick, tight, etc. Great clarity.

sg guy":3gu8hlyo said:
-seems this is the tone I've been chasing since day one, hot molten lava of tone, thick & juicy, oozing dynamic over tones, controllable feedback at will,..... I could careless about super tight for power cord stops, some of the ORANGE amps come pretty close, except I hate fuzz & fizz, can an amp like the ORANGE DUAL DARK be modded to eliminate that?.... I guess its a given that tubes like 84's just turn to mush with more gain, I recently played a VOX NIGHT TRAIN that was pretty close, I've tried some of "boutique" amp's, they seem to fall short of the level of gain I want,.... I guess I could get some pedals, but I would rather not, seems I've turned into a GUITAR---->AMP--->SPEAKER guy,..... Any experience's??

-WHAT SAY YEE RIG TALKER's!!! Share you wealth of amp knowledge with a mere peasant!!

I found a schematic of the Orange Dark Terror, I'm sure it can be modded if you want to try that instead of a whole new amp. Do you already have one? Can't tell if you already have it and it's really close to what you want already, or if you were thinking of getting one to mod. If it's the latter, I probably wouldn't bother.

fizz is pretty easy to get rid of with a tight Q cut on the highs on a para eq inside the loop
But it also seems to take away some magic if you go to far.

Me Want Paul

FourT6and2":3ibilnih said:
I owned a Hot Cat 30R. It was... ok. One of my least favorite amps, though. But I go for a very different sound than what OP said he's looking for.

The Hot Cat was thick. And chewy. And dark. But also very loose and kinda had a certian something about it I didn't like. The FX loop was horrible. The Reverb circuit also messed with the amp in a bad way when engaged.

Here's what it sounds like though. This is pretty spot on. It's all Hot Cat.

Yeah, very nasal around the 700Hz range.

I have a Dual Terror for almost a year ! I just installed a MM output trans & 9 Henry Choke ! Problem solved no fizz no mud just Pure Orange sound ,try it you will Love it !!!

-deja vu all over again-

-its the FUZZ that I can't deal with that is/was present with all the CLASS A HI-GAIN AMPS I got to try, but it seems the ones most suggested I never did get to try-(schmidt,Paul,bad cat, hot cat etc.)-but the numerous other's had the same DNA... FUZZ... add more gain,.. Get more FUZZ... the simul class amps didn't sound as thick & rich in class a as the true class a amps..

-thanx again for all the suggestions
-(speakers make a bigger than normal impact with class A amps)-

what about the "Preuß´n König"?

image.raw

Channel 2 on a mesa mavrick is pretty high gain, but with el84's it does not have really crushing low end that you want with metal.

JimmyBlind":2mbxmp3a said:
There's not a great deal of content for it unfortunately, but Peter Stapfer gives a breakdown of it below at Namm. Clean channel sounds amazing.

You'll have to forgive the interviewer. He can't help it.

Also these. Uberschall JP is on the forum so can hopefully chime in.

Whoa' that second clip hit dead on brutal and then dude passed onto other areas...that amp has "IT"
BTW were those G12H30's...

GJgo":2827vzpn said:
Yeah, any Mesa Mark that's Simulclass has a Class A mode. I usually run my MkIII in class A when practicing, it can still get still stupid loud.

Also, the Randall Diavlo 5 watt head is class A.
I just bought dooredge(awesome member here) MKIII+ and it's being delivered to Mesa tomorrow for some mods. One being more power scaling in class A mode down to 5/1 watts. Just wait to hear the other work through my rack I'm building as seen on my other thread, the sorta kinda Poland rig lol

Back