-HIGH GAIN CLASS A AMPS-

sg guy

-seems this is the tone I've been chasing since day one, hot molten lava of tone, thick & juicy, oozing dynamic over tones, controllable feedback at will,..... I could careless about super tight for power cord stops, some of the ORANGE amps come pretty close, except I hate fuzz & fizz, can an amp like the ORANGE DUAL DARK be modded to eliminate that?.... I guess its a given that tubes like 84's just turn to mush with more gain, I recently played a VOX NIGHT TRAIN that was pretty close, I've tried some of "boutique" amp's, they seem to fall short of the level of gain I want,.... I guess I could get some pedals, but I would rather not, seems I've turned into a GUITAR---->AMP--->SPEAKER guy,..... Any experience's??

-WHAT SAY YEE RIG TALKER's!!! Share you wealth of amp knowledge with a mere peasant!!

-I've been curious about "The Paul". can you give me a quick voicing experience?? I thought it was DIEZEL's take on a MARSHALL??

-Someone else suggested a THD FLEXI 50

There's not a great deal of content for it unfortunately, but Peter Stapfer gives a breakdown of it below at Namm. Clean channel sounds amazing.

You'll have to forgive the interviewer. He can't help it.

Also these. Uberschall JP is on the forum so can hopefully chime in.

Diezel Schmidt is another option and is an actual class A.
Heaps of gain on tap, not as tight as the bigger amps.
Beautiful sound.

That "Paul," is the best I have heard in a Deizel product yet.
I love thar tone and never thought I'd be giving such a warm welcome to Deizel, as I've never really cared for any of the other models..VH4 etc..

This however, is beautiful to my ears.
The price point is attractive as well.

For high gain class A the Bad CAT amps excel. Was so surprised I was playing death metal on a 30 watt class a amp and it sounded amazing.

Hotcat is cool too. Be forewarned there is a midrange hole in the response that serves this evil sound, you could dislike it. Its already cored out similar to a Diezel midcut .

JimmyBlind":199p3jp9 said:
There's not a great deal of content for it unfortunately, but Peter Stapfer gives a breakdown of it below at Namm. Clean channel sounds amazing.

You'll have to forgive the interviewer. He can't help it.

Also these. Uberschall JP is on the forum so can hopefully chime in.

-thanx man,

-thanx everyone for all the suggestions, I'm surprised at the DIEZEL's, I owned a HERB, and just assumed they would all have that modern, tight core sound,

-been getting a lot of BAD CAT suggestions, seems like a good path to take, thou I've never played one,

-THD FLEXI 50, these amps have always been on my radar since they came out, I've tried a bi-valve and really liked it, seems these amps have a cult following, I've never heard a bad review about them, and there prices surely haven't gone down,

-MESA make a CLASS A amp? I'm just gather data right now, someone mentioned that the TRANS ATLANTIC is a CLASS A amp.

-

I owned a Hot Cat 30R. It was... ok. One of my least favorite amps, though. But I go for a very different sound than what OP said he's looking for.

The Hot Cat was thick. And chewy. And dark. But also very loose and kinda had a certian something about it I didn't like. The FX loop was horrible. The Reverb circuit also messed with the amp in a bad way when engaged.

Here's what it sounds like though. This is pretty spot on. It's all Hot Cat.

-after watching a million clips,,, , I've come to the conclusion that the "fizz & fuzz" that I hate,... is just a by-product of this style of amp-(class A & AB)-it seems that's why ORANGE/MATAMP etc. have it, there great for that thick,chewy,chimney or what ever gear page term you want to throw at it,...great tone at low or moderate gain levels, anything behind it is a mess!! so it seems a ROCKERVERB II or III is the closest there is to this tone, just have to live with the fizz and fuzz,.... and unless one fall's from the sky at a price I can't refuse,.... I'm gonna pass, thanx for all the replies, I think RIG TALK has the best, and most knowledgeable pool of musicians on the inner web,

-a lot of what amp companies claim to be "class A" aren't, I new/thought that the ORANGE description would put the people on the right track of my "thick, hot molten liquid lava" tone description, well except for TGP, where they were more interested in the definition, and "correct class A/AB amps",....

-I like the recto series's, but I don't love them, I'm more or a MARK series guy,

Have you tried a Bogner Shiva? Not really "metal," but definitely high gain, chewy, thick, etc. Think... Alice in Chains type of stuff. Not Class A, though. But it's got the sound.

Back