NAD: Bogner Helios 50 watt - Short review, and issue...

napalmdeath

Got the 50 watt head today - it was originally scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but it showed up today!
First off, I didn't spend much time in the Plexi input, or clean channel. And to be honest, I really didn't buy it for that option. I'll check it out, at some point.

I hopped right to Hot input, and channel two, shifting between 70's and 80's. Both of these modes just simply KILL! They both take boosts very well, too. They very much remind me of gears 1 & 2 on the Splawn Competition I had. But, more articulate, richer in harmonics, and very much just as aggressive, but less gain. Both are VERY usable, and I'm on the fence which I like more! They're both sick!

Again, not much experimenting, I more/less played in those two modes, and absolutely love it. I did pull that back off - JJ's across the board - EL34's and ECC83S. I put an NOS Mullard in V1, and a Tungsol in V2, and it really came alive! HUGE improvement! I think I will try some KT77's this weekend. Should be that much better!

Some complain about no footswitch. I got a "demo" from Sweetwater, and it's basically as new, and mine came with a gold Bogner 2-button footswitch?? Maybe you get one now, or did I get lucky??

Ok, the bad.. It's noisy. It's damn near as noisy as the Marshall JVM's I had! It seems to get really bad cranking the FX Loop return! I was getting white noise with the gain completely at zero! Is this normal?? Of course, it's less noticeable with lower return level settings. I run my effects in the loop, or I'd just turn the loop off. I need an ISP! Second issue - my TC Flashback "POPS" when hitting the footswitch? My chorus doesn't, my reverb doesn't - what gives?? Could it be the pedal?? It's pretty new, and I had no problems in my JSX with it...

Maybe some Helios owners can chime in.. Oh, and for those of you wondering - this amp is EXTREMELY tight and focused. With a boost, and will get as mean and nasty as you want it, and is clear, and razor sharp. Again, it reminds me a lot of a Splawn, but a much more polished, more articulate tone. I've owned 2 Splawns, and I'd take this amp over owning another Splawn. It's THAT much better. Killer, Killer amp!

The loop issue bothers me some what. I only have the problem with that particular pedal.

Mine isn't noisy. Try these settings if you are where you can crank an amp: Hot input, Channel 1, put the master at about 8 (or 3 o'clock), variac on, punch and bottom off. Sounds like the best non master volume marshall ever to my ears. :D

Pete

Think there was some kind of DC heater issue that had noise in the first run,
I had a 100 and it was pretty quiet.
Post your review in the "Bogner" section and see what comes up.

It would be cool if Bogner started to ship them with a footswitch.

That pop is probably due to DC offset in some way, which I understand has to do with the relationship between the pedal and the amp input, try if it still pops when a pedal is on after it - that is, with a buffer between.

Reactions: PDC
stratotone":eob4s4bl said:
Mine isn't noisy. Try these settings if you are where you can crank an amp: Hot input, Channel 1, put the master at about 8 (or 3 o'clock), variac on, punch and bottom off. Sounds like the best non master volume marshall ever to my ears. :D

Pete

Your clip proves that the clean channel on Hot input crushes and sings and is so dynamic. Yes ..like the perfect 4 holer

John4021":1xgjh74x said:
Think there was some kind of DC heater issue that had noise in the first run,
I had a 100 and it was pretty quiet.
Post your review in the "Bogner" section and see what comes up.

It would be cool if Bogner started to ship them with a footswitch.

They did. They come with a footswitch now. A nice one with a super long cord.

napalmdeath":25bkpnm3 said:
Got the 50 watt head today - it was originally scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but it showed up today!
First off, I didn't spend much time in the Plexi input, or clean channel. And to be honest, I really didn't buy it for that option. I'll check it out, at some point.

I hopped right to Hot input, and channel two, shifting between 70's and 80's. Both of these modes just simply KILL! They both take boosts very well, too. They very much remind me of gears 1 & 2 on the Splawn Competition I had. But, more articulate, richer in harmonics, and very much just as aggressive, but less gain. Both are VERY usable, and I'm on the fence which I like more! They're both sick!

Again, not much experimenting, I more/less played in those two modes, and absolutely love it. I did pull that back off - JJ's across the board - EL34's and ECC83S. I put an NOS Mullard in V1, and a Tungsol in V2, and it really came alive! HUGE improvement! I think I will try some KT77's this weekend. Should be that much better!

Some complain about no footswitch. I got a "demo" from Sweetwater, and it's basically as new, and mine came with a gold Bogner 2-button footswitch?? Maybe you get one now, or did I get lucky??

Ok, the bad.. It's noisy. It's damn near as noisy as the Marshall JVM's I had! It seems to get really bad cranking the FX Loop return! I was getting white noise with the gain completely at zero! Is this normal?? Of course, it's less noticeable with lower return level settings. I run my effects in the loop, or I'd just turn the loop off. I need an ISP! Second issue - my TC Flashback "POPS" when hitting the footswitch? My chorus doesn't, my reverb doesn't - what gives?? Could it be the pedal?? It's pretty new, and I had no problems in my JSX with it...

Maybe some Helios owners can chime in.. Oh, and for those of you wondering - this amp is EXTREMELY tight and focused. With a boost, and will get as mean and nasty as you want it, and is clear, and razor sharp. Again, it reminds me a lot of a Splawn, but a much more polished, more articulate tone. I've owned 2 Splawns, and I'd take this amp over owning another Splawn. It's THAT much better. Killer, Killer amp!

The loop issue bothers me some what. I only have the problem with that particular pedal.

Nice review. Congrats on a great amp. I love mine. Use a FB in the loop and have no problems with noise in the loop. My amp is not particularly hissy either. But mine picks up my local radio station your and clear when plugged into the hot input regardless of the gain settings. Jorge said RB said it is a simple fix. Does yours pick up radio?

I'm sending it back, and Sweetwater is replacing it with a new one! There's something going on, and being a "demo", lord knows why it was returned. They offered to send a new one, I say hell yeah.

Also, it has the transformer brackets bent syndrome as well. At some point, the weight of it pulled on one side and bent the brackets and pulled from the chassis. The back of the amp came off real easy, I'm guessing somebody had it off at some point!

And yes, new models DO come with footswitch.

Great review, thanks. I just bought one used today (50w version), recent production, so hoping none of the noise issues. Can't wait to fire it up. Also ordered the matching 2x12 cab w V30 & creamback speakers.

Back