Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega are Back!

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/mark-holcomb-omega

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/mark-holcomb-alpha

32258547132_5fe8f81ba1_o.png

Nice!! I will go sell some shit tomorrow and put in my order right after class!!
EDIT: aaaand it says "Coming Soon " at the bottom of the page!! :LOL: :LOL:

This sounds like it might be like a slightly underwound SH-5 Custom. The Custom is a ceramic magnet wound to about 14k and has a killer, articulate, and yes, PERCUSSIVE quality to it that I really dig.

This thread has given me some pickup gas. I have bee thinking about getting a different bridge pickup for my wolfgang. I'm going to have to listen to that video, and compare some. Right now I am leaning towards either the Pegasus, or Omega. I tried putting in a Dimarzio Crunch lab, but it is too tall to fit. I have heard that duncans should drop right in.

GuitarGuyLP":1w0wivl2 said:
This thread has given me some pickup gas. I have bee thinking about getting a different bridge pickup for my wolfgang. I'm going to have to listen to that video, and compare some. Right now I am leaning towards either the Pegasus, or Omega. I tried putting in a Dimarzio Crunch lab, but it is too tall to fit. I have heard that duncans should drop right in.

I really disliked the Pegasus I tried. The Omega is awesome. Another option would be the Black Winter. But it's got a much higher output. The Omega is pretty nice!

Nah, never tried that one. I haven't tried a lot of pickups. Just the Gibson T-tops, Shaw PAFs, BKP Holy Diver, BKP Riff Raff, BKP Black Dog, BKP Nailbomb, Duncan JB, Duncan Distortion, Duncan Pegasus, Duncan Nazgul, Duncan Omega, Sentient, Jazz, '59, aaaaaand I think that's it. Oh and EMGs and whatever came in my PRS guitars I used to have.

Chubtone":1fijrkaq said:
This sounds like it might be like a slightly underwound SH-5 Custom. The Custom is a ceramic magnet wound to about 14k and has a killer, articulate, and yes, PERCUSSIVE quality to it that I really dig.

From the Keith Merror clip, the Omega and the Custom sound pretty different. The Custom seems to have a sharper, more cutting treble while the Omega sounds more mid focused. Who knows for sure unless you try it out in person, though.

GuitarGuyLP":1fijrkaq said:
Have you tried the Crunch lab to compare to the duncans?

The Crunchlab isn't really similar to any Duncan I've tried (Distortion, JB, Full Shred, Custom 5, Alternative 8, Invader).

jsp":2krxumlw said:
Chubtone":2krxumlw said:

From the Keith Merror clip, the Omega and the Custom sound pretty different. The Custom seems to have a sharper, more cutting treble while the Omega sounds more mid focused. Who knows for sure unless you try it out in person, though.

Wow, I just compared them directly in that clip. You are right. Besides them having the same magnet and one being wound to 14k and one being wound to 13k, what else in the manufacturing process could account for that much of a difference?

Chubtone":16q7kd70 said:
jsp":16q7kd70 said:
Chubtone":16q7kd70 said:

Wow, I just compared them directly in that clip. You are right. Besides them having the same magnet and one being wound to 14k and one being wound to 13k, what else in the manufacturing process could account for that much of a difference?

Type of pole pieces, type of wire used and how its wound. Maybe the bobbin material, but I don't know. Coil winding pattern is a huge one.

Scroll down and you'll see what I'm talking about: http://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups.html

Chubtone":gqyv2qmu said:

I like that percussive quality too! :rock: :rock:

FourT6and2":39e42pmo said:
Nah, never tried that one. I haven't tried a lot of pickups. Just the Gibson T-tops, Shaw PAFs, BKP Holy Diver, BKP Riff Raff, BKP Black Dog, BKP Nailbomb, Duncan JB, Duncan Distortion, Duncan Pegasus, Duncan Nazgul, Duncan Omega, Sentient, Jazz, '59, aaaaaand I think that's it. Oh and EMGs and whatever came in my PRS guitars I used to have.

That was going to be my question. How do they stack up to the Pegasus/Sentient combo? I've been thinking about picking up that set for my PRS CU24.. Nothing I put in this guitar sounds good. EMGs, Dimarzios, Stock PRS pickups. Been thinking about going to Seymour Duncs

vultures":ja588ef9 said:
FourT6and2":ja588ef9 said:

That was going to be my question. How do they stack up to the Pegasus/Sentient combo? I've been thinking about picking up that set for my PRS CU24.. Nothing I put in this guitar sounds good. EMGs, Dimarzios, Stock PRS pickups. Been thinking about going to Seymour Duncs

It's really personal preference. But I hate the Pegasus. It's dark, round/loose lows, scooped mids. No saturation. difficult to play. No character. The Omega is lightyears better. I've never used the Alpha neck. I do have the Sentient neck and I like it.

FourT6and2":1tg9gbh7 said:
vultures":1tg9gbh7 said:
FourT6and2":1tg9gbh7 said:

It's really personal preference. But I hate the Pegasus. It's dark, round/loose lows, scooped mids. No saturation. difficult to play. No character. The Omega is lightyears better. I've never used the Alpha neck. I do have the Sentient neck and I like it.

That's the exact problem I've been having with my PRS, it's dark, loose and has a real weird sustain/tone thing going on. I've run EMG 85/60, EMG Hetset, EMG 81/85, Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire, and back to the stock HFS/Vintage set and I'm losing my mind. :LOL: :LOL: I think I'll check out the Alpha/Omega set

I really like WCR pickups in my PRS when I had one. I had a dark burst in the bridge, and left the beck stock. It sounded pretty good to me. That was quite a few years ago now so I can't compare it to anything.

Back