Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega are Back!

FourT6and2

I just ordered another one from the Custom Shop, only to find they are bringing them back for production. The Omega is seriously the best pickup I've ever tried. It's worth looking into.

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2017/e ... inter-namm

"The Omega bridge pickup was created to provide destructive percussion and growl in the mids and low end. It’s aggressive but it also has lots of clarity and brightness, which cuts through whether you’re playing sophisticated chords, complex single-note lines or intense solos."

Nice. I wish I could order the blackened Winters with the hex poles like on the km6 schecters. I emailed custom shop and never got a reply. :confused:

FourT6and2":3sx8p66c said:
I just ordered another one from the Custom Shop, only to find they are bringing them back for production. The Omega is seriously the best pickup I've ever tried. It's worth looking into.

"The Omega bridge pickup was created to provide destructive percussion and growl in the mids and low end. It’s aggressive but it also has lots of clarity and brightness, which cuts through whether you’re playing sophisticated chords, complex single-note lines or intense solos."

Are they ceramic, or is the bridge?

crwnedblasphemy":3lmc0513 said:
Nice. I wish I could order the blackened Winters with the hex poles like on the km6 schecters. I emailed custom shop and never got a reply. :confused:

You don't email the custom shop, you fill out the order form. Just specify your want the Black Winters but with hex poles and they'll make 'em for you. I never get a response from emails either. You can always call them too.

mooncobra":3lmc0513 said:
FourT6and2":3lmc0513 said:

Are they ceramic, or is the bridge?

The Omega is bridge, Alpha is neck. I think they are both ceramic.

EDIT: I know the Omega bridge is ceramic, but not 100% sure about the neck. But I believe it is.

FourT6and2":1oynotow said:
CEG85":1oynotow said:
Whats the output on these guys?

No idea. But the DCR on the Omega is about 13k and change.

Had a feeling they were gonna be between 12 and 14k.
Sounds like a nice pickup for agressive playing.

-percussive + pick up = horrible

-I'm old, and nolonger brootlaz,... but why would someone want anything in there signal train that's percussive?

veji":hckkimle said:
how do they compare to the nazgul/sentinent pups?

I have a Nazgul/Sentient set in my other guitar. The Nazgul has more saturation and a deeper low end. And a more greasy top end that sort of smears out. The Omega has more articulation, less saturation, but more aggressive mid-range. They are both some of my fav pickups. The Omega is a little better for my style. But I grab the Nazgul-equipped guitar when I want more gain.

Here's a good video that compares a lot of SD's pickups. The Omega is in there, along with the Nazgul. If you go to the YT page itself, they are all time-stamped so you can click back and forth between them. Although I think he EQ'd that setup with the Nazgul in mind. But of all of them, I really like the Nazgul, Omega, and Black Winter.

sg guy":hckkimle said:

-I'm old, and nolonger brootlaz,... but why would someone want anything in there signal train that's percussive?

Maybe think on that one for a bit and get back to us.

-I've wasted too much time thinking about it as is,... Maybe it stem's from my hatred of drummer's-

ote="FourT6and2"]
veji":3eslxjx8 said:
how do they compare to the nazgul/sentinent pups?

I have a Nazgul/Sentient set in my other guitar. The Nazgul has more saturation and a deeper low end. And a more greasy top end that sort of smears out. The Omega has more articulation, less saturation, but more aggressive mid-range. They are both some of my fav pickups. The Omega is a little better for my style. But I grab the Nazgul-equipped guitar when I want more gain.

Here's a good video that compares a lot of SD's pickups. The Omega is in there, along with the Nazgul. If you go to the YT page itself, they are all time-stamped so you can click back and forth between them. Although I think he EQ'd that setup with the Nazgul in mind. But of all of them, I really like the Nazgul, Omega, and Black Winter.

sg guy":3eslxjx8 said:

Maybe think on that one for a bit and get back to us.[/quote]

Related question. I have a korina explorer with a jb in the bridge . The guitar is already midrangey and bright and the JB has a weird chirp to it and a somewhat unpleasant top end. Suggestions for a SD replacement?

chris lykins":2a7wsnt7 said:
Related question. I have a korina explorer with a jb in the bridge . The guitar is already midrangey and bright and the JB has a weird chirp to it and a somewhat unpleasant top end. Suggestions for a SD replacement?

The JD is the only SD pickup I've tried that has that sound. But I haven't tried many. The Distortion is the JB with a ceramic magnet. I don't really like the Distortion, it's kind of fizzy. Listen to that video I posted above, all those sounds are pretty accurate.

veji":2a7wsnt7 said:
which has better cleans? nazgul/sentinent or omega

Omega for sure. The Sentient is pretty nice. For neck pickups, the '59 and the Jazz are both a little sweeter sounding. The Sentient is very articulate. I haven't tried the Alpha. But based on its description it probably bucks the trend when it comes to typical neck pickups. I have my Omega paired with a Sentient and I like it for metal.

Big deal... Had em, tried em, hated em... Just my opinion. Great for Axe Fx djenty stuff though. Pretty sterile through my tube amps.

FourT6and2":26v9c4x5 said:

Great video, I think that all sounded pretty good to be honest. More that anything, after 17 minutes, I have that song/riff stuck in my head...

FourT6and2":2xlr746w said:

Any idea when the Omega will be made available as a non-Custom Shop purchase? I'd really like to try it but I'd rather pay 90.00 for a regular off the shelf model rather than 160.00 from the Custom Shop.

Oblivion DC":pvxa11ni said:
FourT6and2":pvxa11ni said:

Any idea when the Omega will be made available as a non-Custom Shop purchase? I'd really like to try it but I'd rather pay 90.00 for a regular off the shelf model rather than 160.00 from the Custom Shop.

No idea. If there's someone from the forum at NAMM, they should stop by SD and ask.

Back