Soldano SLO wet/dry iPhone clip

journeyman73":3udd333v said:
Curious, for you guys that are running w/d, are you running any dry in your wet cab or is it 100% wet?

I don't really know how to answer that. There was a really good thread awhile back about running w/d and w/d/w rigs, and in it there was some lengthy discussion on using mixers to add dry into the wet cabs. I must admit, I don't fully understand this concept. Hopefully someone will add clarity on this point. I ran this setup like this: line out of SLO with level set almost to full>90's Cool Cat Chorus>Boss DD3>FX return of LO50>2x12. Soldano>4x12.

Mr. Willy":36bmbqct said:
Which SS power amps do you recommend?

I can only recommend what I'm using in the same situation: the Rocktron Velocity 300. It's a clean power amp designed specifically for use in a guitar rack. I looked at the Mosvalve too, but they command a higher price and are 2U, with less power. They're supposed to have a tube-like sound to them. I don't care so much about as my sound is already SLO preamp and poweramp, so I don't need more color, just a clean, clear reproduction of that power effects.

Beyond price and reliability, I looked for the following: 1U, 150W+ bridged in 16 ohms (for my 4x12), and set up for guitar input and speaker outputs. Any good power amp should work just fine, but a lot of PA type power amps won't have good connections for a guitar cable in and a 1/4" speaker out.

However, I've had my setup for about 2 weeks and gotten only a couple of ours on it, so I'm not going to tell you it's the best solution ever. It's just what I thought about in the process.

journeyman73":32kx303v said:
Curious, for you guys that are running w/d, are you running any dry in your wet cab or is it 100% wet?

I'm running them mixed, just like I would if I were running them in a loop. The point of a W/D rig IMO is to keep the clarity of the raw amp with effects. It isn't a stereo set up. For that, I'd need to add another cab and go W/D/W with effects run in stereo.*

* Added to my post above: this was my other requirement. I wanted enough power in the SS amp to be able to switch to running 2 cabs with it if I ever decide to go that route.

gibson5413":1tl0588h said:
Sounds awesome! I look forward to the day I get to play an SLO!

Thanks man. I should mention that this is a stock SLO born in '92. I just had the filter caps replaced with F&T electrolytic caps and put new 5881 Mesa-branded wafer bottom matched Sovtek power tubes biased at 32ma per at 498v on the plates.

I think the point of W/D or W/D/W is to run the wet amps/cabs with 100% wet FX and no dry. Same way you'd run your FX if your loop were parallel. Ideally, you'd want your FX to have a kill-dry function. For example, the Flashback delay has kill-dry so only the 100% wet delay/repeats come through, not your dry signal. Otherwise you are sending your raw/dry signal to the Wet amp/cab as well, which you can totally do if you want I guess.

That's why you use a mixer, to not rely on the FX unit to do the mixing. Set effects 100% wet, but blend dry in with mixer. Steve Stevens is a big W/D/W guy and he DOES NOT run 100% wet in the wet cabs.

FourT6and2":q1wdz7ee said:
I think the point of W/D or W/D/W is to run the wet amps/cabs with 100% wet FX and no dry. Same way you'd run your FX if your loop were parallel. Ideally, you'd want your FX to have a kill-dry function. For example, the Flashback delay has kill-dry so only the 100% wet delay/repeats come through, not your dry signal. Otherwise you are sending your raw/dry signal to the Wet amp/cab as well, which you can totally do if you want I guess.

From what I recall of the thread I referred to earlier in this one, there where mixed opinions on that. I can see both viewpoints. I'd probably want a little dry in the wet cabs. Seems like it'd have a bit more clarity. It really depends on the player and what works for them. This was my first attempt at slaving, so I'm a bit of a novice. I was working with the tools on hand. For example, I'd rather use micro pitch detuning for this type of sound instead of chorus, but I'd try to use it subtly so that it thickens the tone instead of dominating it a la late 80's EVH tone.

Sounds great! I have my Wizards set up for W/D/W. the middle cab is dry. Run out the line out into an H9, out to an MLC rack line mixer into a Matrix GT1000 then the wet cabs. Sounds incredible. The mixer lets me control how much wet signal goes to the wet cab so they aren't alway 100% wet. Sounds a lot better that way. I never use effects loops anymore.

If you're running W/D and run 100% wet on delays, there are certain things that just don't sound right IMO. For example, if I'm running a little delay/echo line on leads it doesn't sound right if I get the main sound form the dry cab and nothing from my other cab on the initial sound. It sounds like you were trying for a ping-pong there but didn't do it right.

I've actually been playing a bit with exactly how to set up each sound, and some I want 100% wet but not others/most. Running W/D really isn't the same as running a stereo setup.....except for the effects where naturally you run dry to one side of the stereo sound! :confused: That's only some effects. This part would probably be easier in a true W/D/W setup.

rstites":184qwogn said:
If you're running W/D and run 100% wet on delays, there are certain things that just don't sound right IMO. For example, if I'm running a little delay/echo line on leads it doesn't sound right if I get the main sound form the dry cab and nothing from my other cab on the initial sound. It sounds like you were trying for a ping-pong there but didn't do it right.

I've actually been playing a bit with exactly how to set up each sound, and some I want 100% wet but not others/most. Running W/D really isn't the same as running a stereo setup.....except for the effects where naturally you run dry to one side of the stereo sound! :confused: That's only some effects. This part would probably be easier in a true W/D/W setup.

I see what you're saying. Sometimes that can sound good, though. I think the intro to this song has a 100% wet thing going on. Just a guess though.

Mr. Willy":esa3qx94 said:
How is using a mixer different than setting the mix level on the fx device?

I misstated what I posted above. I go from the amp to the mixer then to the H9 back to the mixer. Use the mixer so you aren't sending the entire signal thru ADA conversion. So the dry part of the signal to the wet cabs is pure

mhenson42":3qef21qt said:
Mr. Willy":3qef21qt said:
How is using a mixer different than setting the mix level on the fx device?

I misstated what I posted above. I go from the amp to the mixer then to the H9 back to the mixer. Use the mixer so you aren't sending the entire signal thru ADA conversion. So the dry part of the signal to the wet cabs is pure

That makes more sense. What is ADA conversion and why is it not desirable? Forgive me, I'm learning good stuff here.

Mr. Willy":ovnlumpg said:
Which SS power amps do you recommend?

Any cheap ol' PA power amps would do, Crown, Carvin etc. The class d stuff nowadays are very lightweight (~4kg). I use a Crown XLS1000 with my SLO.

Mr. Willy":3a6ppq1w said:
That makes more sense. What is ADA conversion and why is it not desirable? Forgive me, I'm learning good stuff here.

ADA is analog-to-digital conversion and then digital-to-analog conversion again. In rack setups, people use line mixers to preserve the tone of the original analog signal, so that you don't mess with it in the effects unit's converters. That's why I mentioned that Rocktron stuff above. One of their features was an analog through with internal mixers.

A parallel effects loop in a guitar amp with the ability mix would do the same thing. If you're running effects units that preserve an analog, uneffected, through then you don't need the mixer.

I was picturing the line mixer too.

Back