Soldano SLO wet/dry iPhone clip

Mr. Willy

Had the rare opportunity today to crank the amps because I was home alone. It's not professionally miked, I made mistakes, yadda yadda yadda. I was slaving the SLO into my buddy's Granger LO50. It sounded bitchin in the room. Volume was on 2.

steve_k":36wcbsm2 said:
sounds awesome. W/D is the way to treat a SLO.

I usually just use a 2x12 at gigs, but I'm thinking I need a wet/dry/wet set up. 2 1x12's and a rack mounted power amp wouldn't be that much more to load in and out. Because good lord...the tone!

Mr. Willy":pbuogtv1 said:
steve_k":pbuogtv1 said:

I usually just use a 2x12 at gigs, but I'm thinking I need a wet/dry/wet set up. 2 1x12's and a rack mounted power amp wouldn't be that much more to load in and out. Because good lord...the tone!

You can get some very portable SS power amps these days for driving the wet side. Won't break the bank or the back.

steve_k":3d5rtscp said:
Mr. Willy":3d5rtscp said:
steve_k":3d5rtscp said:

You can get some very portable SS power amps these days for driving the wet side. Won't break the bank or the back.
What are the best SS amps out there from your experience?

Sounds big even with the "cell" phone :LOL: :LOL:

Which head had the effects running through it...not the slo I'm guessing??

Luca79":arpyyabh said:
Nice, do you have same speakers in both cabs?

SLO is running dry through the Bogner 4x12 which has Greenbacks on top and V30s on bottom. Granger LO50 was slaved wet through an Avatar 2x12 with Lynchbacks. This was just a fun experiment. My buddy let me borrow his Granger to cover a pickup gig because my amp was in the shop getting new filter caps and power tubes.

MrDowntown":339tns1n said:

Yeah, SLO was dry. I thought I'd try the wet/dry thing after reading through one of the SLO threads going around. This isn't my gigging set up. I normally just take my 2x12 with me. This was just messing around. It's got me seriously wanting to do a w/d/w rig though. I just need the money to make it happen. :LOL: :LOL:

Mr. Willy":2yzdoqyo said:
MrDowntown":2yzdoqyo said:

Yeah, SLO was dry. I thought I'd try the wet/dry thing after reading through one of the SLO threads going around. This isn't my gigging set up. I normally just take my 2x12 with me. This was just messing around. It's got me seriously wanting to do a w/d/w rig though. I just need the money to make it happen. :LOL: :LOL:

Was it the SLO "loop" thread? I was trying to follow the same thread....apparently the SLOs that have loops aren't tremendous...? Which is kinda crazy to think of it.

Is the grainger more of the modded Marshall feel? Sounds like the two work well together. Anyway...sounds really good.

MrDowntown":3ggm8n73 said:
Mr. Willy":3ggm8n73 said:
MrDowntown":3ggm8n73 said:

Was it the SLO "loop" thread? I was trying to follow the same thread....apparently the SLOs that have loops aren't tremendous...? Which is kinda crazy to think of it.

Is the grainger more of the modded Marshall feel? Sounds like the two work well together. Anyway...sounds really good.

I understand why some guys don't like the SLO's loop. When you're on the lead channel, you can't get a very, very wet sound like you can with some other loops. The fx get kinda buried. This doesn't happen so drastically on the crunch channel. It's not that the loop is "bad," it's just that it's in a place in the circuit that causes fx on the lead channel to get buried. The amp sounds so good, it's a non issue for me. I do see why it's a deal breaker for some, though.

The Granger LO50 is basically a SLO clone. It sounds very similar to a SLO. Curt Granger lives about an hour from me. He makes some nice amps that are basically tweaked clones of other popular amps. I used to have his 2204 and loved it. He's very nice, professional, and knowledgeable.

In the other thread, I mentioned setting up my SLO for wet/dry. I just purchased a used Rocktron Velocity 300. It's a single rack space and cost me $225 or so in good condition. I'm just running an old Intellifex through it right now. So far, I've mostly played around with the over-the-top presets on the Intellifex, but longterm I'll just program up some light chorus or short delays to thicken things up most of the time: the effects that thicken things up but sound like effects, as it were.

The 'main' SLO tone is a stock SLO with a loop. IF you use the loop, it does take away some of the magic. Best to run it just like this. Unless you get it modded, or find one without a loop. Not sure of the difference, some have SLOs with 2 lead channels and no loop. Both of mine had loops and sounded amazing. But I never used the loop.

I've been using my line out and hitting a flashback into the return on a few different amps. I'm totally digging it. I would like to try a small ss power amp and see how that sounds. Nice clip man

Chester Nimitz":11tewwg9 said:
JMP [dry] DSL [wet] been running a wet/dry rig about 3 years, its the only way to fly.

It appears that you're running into the front end of both amps. That's more of a dual mono set up. It's still wet/dry in that you're running one amp with no fx and the other with, and that's cool, not knocking it. I did the same thing in the past when I had my Bassman. I'd run fx through the Bassman and the SLO was dry. This slaving set up, now that I've tried it, is different than that kind of set up. The SLO slaved was just so freaking mean compared to the dual mono set up. Plus, and no offense here, I wouldn't want to haul your rig to gigs. I couldn't haul it, matter of fact. Don't have the room in my car. I don't only load my rig in and out, but I also help with loading all the other band members' gear in and out, including the PA. When it's 2:00 in the morning and the gig is done, I'm ready to home to my wife and three small kids as quickly as possible. But I am seriously thinking about piecing together the most compact w/d/w set up I can get away with because the sound was so good.

steve_k":3j6fkr2n said:
Mr. Willy":3j6fkr2n said:
steve_k":3j6fkr2n said:

Which SS power amps do you recommend?

Mr. Willy":1ajvwdw0 said:
Chester Nimitz":1ajvwdw0 said:
JMP [dry] DSL [wet] been running a wet/dry rig about 3 years, its the only way to fly.

It appears that you're running into the front end of both amps. That's more of a dual mono set up. It's still wet/dry in that you're running one amp with no fx and the other with, and that's cool, not knocking it. I did the same thing in the past when I had my Bassman. I'd run fx through the Bassman and the SLO was dry. This slaving set up, now that I've tried it, is different than that kind of set up. The SLO slaved was just so freaking mean compared to the dual mono set up. Plus, and no offense here, I wouldn't want to haul your rig to gigs. I couldn't haul it, matter of fact. Don't have the room in my car. I don't only load my rig in and out, but I also help with loading all the other band members' gear in and out, including the PA. When it's 2:00 in the morning and the gig is done, I'm ready to home to my wife and three small kids as quickly as possible. But I am seriously thinking about piecing together the most compact w/d/w set up I can get away with because the sound was so good.

Wireless > tuner > boost > EQ > gate > into Tripler into the front of both amps.

Time based & modulation into the DSL loop.

Ive tried various stereo FX into both amps and it just doesn't sound that great.

I set the FX wet but not too wet it sounds like both amps are wet.

I use the TC Pitch Modulator setting and it creates a stereo effect.

Mr. Willy":1jjj6ls5 said:
steve_k":1jjj6ls5 said:
Mr. Willy":1jjj6ls5 said:
steve_k":1jjj6ls5 said:

Which SS power amps do you recommend?
Matrix is one I've heard is good, and the older Mosvalve mosfet amps are cheap and work well. I used a Mosvalve for years with an ADA MP1 back in the 90s.

Back