Charvel San Dimas/So Cal vs. RG550/Jem

mooncobra":jgpp16i8 said:
NaturalBornBoy":jgpp16i8 said:
Zoso1973":jgpp16i8 said:
NaturalBornBoy":jgpp16i8 said:
The MIJ Prestige Ibby's are real quality guitars. The J-Custom Ibby's are on a totally different level, quality wise and of course, price wise.

IMHO, you will never go wrong with a MIJ Ibby it fits your needs in the first place.

ill never be good enough for a J Custom, but they sure look nice. :rock: :rock:

To be fair, some J-Customs are gaudy as fuck all!

I prefer the simpler, more understated looking J-Customs. Like my MRG13.

lets see pics of yours. I sold mine a while back. I had one without the tree of life inlay. I don't like that inlay at all. lets see the mrg13, should be amazing!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16f4_zpsjrohrpke.jpg

It's a shitty picture but hey, at least you can see it :LOL: :LOL:

Korina body, really dark rosewood board, 1 of 6 made for the Kurosawa Gakki chain of stores in Japan.

I dig that pickguard! Really works.

I've got a 1991 RG770DX in laser blue that is, unfortunately, beat to shit (previous owners), but I love it. Really special guitar to me. Needs new pickups, but playing it is so fun. I've got it in Open C right now, and it's become my main electric instrument again recently.

rockinchippy":39jh4zez said:
Not cool to knowingly misrepresent his screename which he uses across the internet.

Maybe you can start buying up username rights across the forums while you're at it.

RockinChippi":1mi1r02i said:
rockinchippy":1mi1r02i said:
Not cool to knowingly misrepresent his screename which he uses across the internet.

Maybe you can start buying up username rights across the forums while you're at it.
RockinChippi!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If you are comparing the current MIM Charvels to the MIJ Ibby Prestieges... I'd go Charvel. The Ibbys new Super Wizard (Gandalf) necks are way too thin and tire/cramp out my hand and playing for awhile... and the fret work is better and more consistent (more level and better ends) on the MIM Charvels. Also the necks, while still thin, won't cramp your hand after 30 minutes. But overall they are very comparable.

rockinchippy":32wb043k said:

Don't you have T shirts to sell to promote your collection of gear ?

User names are now trademarks and brands ? It's only a matter of time before everyone on Rigtalk will need a lawyer....

stompboxfreak72":125q5mgq said:
rockinchippy":125q5mgq said:

Don't you have T shirts to sell to promote your collection of gear ?

User names are now trademarks and brands ? It's only a matter of time before everyone on Rigtalk will need a lawyer....

We better ask his permission from now on.
I bet he has trademarked "whinylittlemidgebitch".com

All posts by this memeber are the opinion of said memeber and do not reflect the rest of RigTalk personal .
:LOL: :LOL:

Wizard of Ozz":16a4x32b said:
If you are comparing the current MIM Charvels to the MIJ Ibby Prestieges... I'd go Charvel. The Ibbys new Super Wizard (Gandalf) necks are way too thin and tire/cramp out my hand and playing for awhile... and the fret work is better and more consistent (more level and better ends) on the MIM Charvels. Also the necks, while still thin, won't cramp your hand after 30 minutes. But overall they are very comparable.

So you think the MIMs are favorably comparable to the MIJs? I had an egg shell blue one very briefly and thought it was great.

NaturalBornBoy":nqcssi3f said:
mooncobra":nqcssi3f said:
Zoso1973":nqcssi3f said:
The MIJ Prestige Ibby's are real quality guitars. The J-Custom Ibby's are on a totally different level, quality wise and of course, price wise.

IMHO, you will never go wrong with a MIJ Ibby it fits your needs in the first place.

lets see pics of yours. I sold mine a while back. I had one without the tree of life inlay. I don't like that inlay at all. lets see the mrg13, should be amazing!

IMG_0597_zps464cfa22.jpg

Korina body, really dark rosewood board, 1 of 6 made for the Kurosawa Gakki chain of stores in Japan.
That may be my favorite Ibby ever. Always wanted that one.
I'm also in the camp that doesn't like the TOL inlay. I have an early 2000's J. Custom that I love. It has a very different neck profile than most, moderately thicker.

though I like my Charvel Custom shop equally as much:

:LOL: :LOL: Hey Rockinchippy you do realize the real Rexamatix made fun of you all the time and yet you want to defend him... :no:

Zoso1973":15l03b11 said:
Rezamatix":15l03b11 said:
Is one better built or higher quality than the other? Briefly had experience with each, but appreciate your thoughts.

I would take a custom shop charvel over an ibanez. ymmv. :rock:
Me as well. But, the biggest issue for me is the neck profile...very different from one another.

Racerxrated":1qu18dco said:
Zoso1973":1qu18dco said:
Rezamatix":1qu18dco said:
Is one better built or higher quality than the other? Briefly had experience with each, but appreciate your thoughts.

Me as well. But, the biggest issue for me is the neck profile...very different from one another.
For the most part, but the early J Customs have a much different/thicker neck profile than the lprestige and wizard necks.

Racerxrated":o23l3ymd said:
Zoso1973":o23l3ymd said:
Rezamatix":o23l3ymd said:

Yeah the Charvel neck profile is fatter than the Ibby Super Wizard neck profile. It's all down to personal preference.

nevusofota":1qc51kh5 said:
NaturalBornBoy":1qc51kh5 said:
mooncobra":1qc51kh5 said:
Zoso1973":1qc51kh5 said:

IMG_0597_zps464cfa22.jpg

That may be my favorite Ibby ever. Always wanted that one.
I'm also in the camp that doesn't like the TOL inlay. I have an early 2000's J. Custom that I love. It has a very different neck profile than most, moderately thicker.

Holy shit! I LOVE your J-Custom! Right up my alley!!!

Rezamatix":14ik2epg said:
Wizard of Ozz":14ik2epg said:

So you think the MIMs are favorably comparable to the MIJs? I had an egg shell blue one very briefly and thought it was great.

Definitely. Comes down to the day and the guy building it... great days = great guitars. I really like the necks on these too.

Back