ESP USA vs custom shop

braintheory

So I tried an ESP Horizon USA the other day (costs around 4k) and it was nice but nothing amazing. I'd take a Mayones Regius or my BRJ Jekyll over it any day, but I've heard so many great things about ESP custom shop guitars, so my question is how do the ESP custom shop guitars made in Japan compare to their USA models? Are they similar?

I don't know the difference, but both are nice. The custom shop ESP's I have played were amazing. The quality was as good as anything I have seen.

braintheory":13ncpsaz said:
So I tried an ESP Horizon USA the other day (costs around 4k) and it was nice but nothing amazing. I'd take a Mayones Regius or my BRJ Jekyll over it any day, but I've heard so many great things about ESP custom shop guitars, so my question is how do the ESP custom shop guitars made in Japan compare to their USA models? Are they similar?

Sounds like high end ESP maybe isnt going to be for you in either case. The USA is just as good as the Japan. All handmade high quality stuff. I love ESP's :rock:

I've played a few of the new USA models, and the quality some pretty comparable to custom shop stuff depending on specs. Maybe 10% better for the CS stuff?!?!... but is that extra 10% worth the $$$ to you?

I have an esp custom shop that sort of fell into my lap at a ridiculous price and it is flawless. Amazing tone and the feel is just superb. That said, they are crazy expensive and you can probably find a myriad of luthiers to make you a comparable guitar for a bit less.

Over the last 10 years, I've owned 2 of the standards. Well built and sounded good. I just didn't gel with them as much as I would've liked to.

I've never even picked up an ESP custom in my hands, so I would love to see how much of a difference they really are.

I own a custom shop ESP (Japan). It is very very nice. As far as ESP USA, a few years ago I owned a couple of the Hetfield signature guitars. I believe those were made in the USA. They were 95% as good. Neither we're mind blowing like a Ken Lawrence though.

My 2?top keeper guitars. ESP CUSTOM shops.
They just feel .... play ..... sound amazing.
Have owned em all thru the years. Just keep Gravitating back to them.

There is no better guitar than the one built FOR YOU to your specs.

As long as you really know how to spec out your guitar.

I have a bunch.
My fav guitars, but at that price range it's really just subjective.
Mine are all Japanese except 1 made in the USA custom shop in 2001 or so, very similar to the current USA custom run, and it is one if my favorites. Built by John gaudesi when he was still at ESP.
Can't vouche for the new USA ones , but I would expect them to be on the same level. Maybe you got a dud, which happens, or they are just not your thing.

I've owned many and love both custom shop and the standard models. I am an ESP whore so it really comes down to what you like for specs. I'm all about the specs off kamikazes. Wide neck, fat ebony board, maple body. It's what you want out of it but I find all ESP to be consistent and awesome.

Back