Anybody own the new 2555X Jubilee reissue head?

sefloval

Just curious if anyone here owns the reissue Jubilee 100W head and can give me some insight compared to say a DSL100?
So, I've got a Marshall Vintage Modern 425A cab that needs a Marshall head on it. I've thought about picking up a 2466 VM head, but not quite sure it's my thing as I fall more into the JCM800 camp.
I've played a few DSL's and have liked them quite a bit, but wondering how the 2555X compares in feel? The thing I'm most worried about is thickness and the 2555X not having enough balls and being too thin feeling/sounding?
I'm trying to find a Jubilee to audition, but it's been hard locating one so far, so thought I'd check here and see what the general consensus is on it.
I play in an original heavy rock band, we have a rehearsal studio and can crank my amp. I have a grand saved up and trying to decide if I should just pull the trigger on a DSL or save up for the Jubilee. First world problems, I know :LOL: :LOL:
Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

I got the 100 watt Jubilee reissue and a 100 watt VM. I can't remember the last time I tried a DSL though. The Jubilee is not thin. Not at all. Just research. Check out a bunch of YouTube vids of both. One amp's tonality will appeal to you more eventually. The Jub had MIDS, that I can tell you. Moreso than most other Marshalls.

One thing that I will add ^^^ is that the EQ is the most responsive of any Marshall I've owned. Thin only if you set it that way. For example, My first jubilee I A/B'd against the AFD head. The AFD sounded very thin in comparison. I can add so much low end to my Jube it will rival my 2C+. I had a 2555X a few months ago and now have an original, I'd give the nod to the original only because of the vintage trannies. The new one is very good.

I haven't played the 2555X reissues, but have played quite a number of the originals. I assume they sound the same. (I say that as more than one reissue from Marshall has been nothing like the original, but I think they've learned their lesson! ;) ). Anyhow the 2555 is a very different sound for a Marshall, so I'd definitely recommend finding one to play for yourself. They're darker than classic Marshalls, not thin at all. They can get a little buzzy at high gain and lower volumes, but smooth out very nicely at higher (gig) volumes, so you should be fine there.

The one caveat I'd say is to really put it through its paces if you need to channel switch live. That was the biggest downside of the 2555 that I recall. My time with a DSL suggested it was easier for me to dial it in to do live channel switching. The DSL is the higher gain, channel switching, grandchild of the old single channel 2204/2203s. The SJ is really it's own thing in the Marshall lineup.

Now, I'll find out that the reissue is completely different! :)

A couple of thoughts: if I was buying the amp primarily for live playing, as stated above, the DSL is going to be a lot more versatile choice and they can really cover a lot of ground.
The other thing that crossed my mind is that a DSL might sound better through the 425 greenback cab than the Jube.
Jubes sound best to me through V30's because of the way the mids are voiced.
Having said that, I think the Jube re-issue is a nicer amp than a DSL, and is definitely NOT thin sounding, but you gotta get the right amp for the right situation.
I'm not a huge fan of the Vintage modern amps at all, but oh man... those cabs with the G12C greenbacks are killer :rock:

Hey, thanks for the input guys. I'll try and locate one to demo. Yes, my VM 425a cab is killer! I've even grown fond of the purple tolex. Like I said, the DSL's I tried were great and would probably pair up with my cab and do the job really well. I might just go with that. I always see pics of the Jubilee and it's just sooo damn sexy haha! Hard to resist even though it might not be the right tool for the job.

I had one for a while and it was awesome. It can be hard to dial in as far as I'm concerned, but when you get it right it's extremely satisfying. The clean sounds are amazing; though not Fender clean, but great sounds from clean to crunch to lead. It was easy to get good clean and crunch sounds and a lead tone (with pedals), but rhythm tones gave me the most trouble. I let the one I had go with the intention of picking up a 50w. However, after recently putting the 50w & 100w head-to-head, I've got to say the 100w has my favor. I you have Klon KTR or Centaur, the 2555x will love it.

fusedbrain":1lfzivrc said:
A couple of thoughts: if I was buying the amp primarily for live playing, as stated above, the DSL is going to be a lot more versatile choice and they can really cover a lot of ground.
The other thing that crossed my mind is that a DSL might sound better through the 425 greenback cab than the Jube.
Jubes sound best to me through V30's because of the way the mids are voiced.
Having said that, I think the Jube re-issue is a nicer amp than a DSL, and is definitely NOT thin sounding, but you gotta get the right amp for the right situation.
I'm not a huge fan of the Vintage modern amps at all, but oh man... those cabs with the G12C greenbacks are killer :rock:
I'm gonna politely disagree a bit, while the Jube does sound great through V30s it sounds even better through my 74 Marshall cab with original creambacks, and I'd put G12 65s ahead of V30s also. Now if you mean the Marshall Vintages, I'll find out later this week as I found a Slash cab for a good price, Those are different than the V30s most are familiar with. And I believe they were voiced specifically for the Jubilee in 87. i have a Rivera V30 cab and when I gig with the Jubilee I leave it at home in favor of my other cabs.

Clean and dirty tones testing out new guitar a year ago. Gain channel w/ gain at 2:00. This amp, since the day I got it, I just dialed in Joe B's Jubilee settings. Seem to work well.

Not sure if you're into preamp/"amp in a box" pedals, but this seems relevant here...Lovepedal JTM and Jubilee pedals
https://youtu.be/jXCX09RSTTw

Both of those pedals sound incredible to my ears. They sound great through both the Fender Bluesbreaker and the actual JTM in the video. Running it into the JTM sounds more authentic, as you're using the correct tone stack and power amp for that kinda trip. Still, it works great as a way to add a bit of Marshall flavor to a different style of rig.

It's not an amp head that matches your cab, but it's a lot cheaper and lower risk. Worth considering, I'd say.

mrcak":1z852w46 said:
Clean and dirty tones testing out new guitar a year ago. Gain channel w/ gain at 2:00. This amp, since the day I got it, I just dialed in Joe B's Jubilee settings. Seem to work well.

That sounded so damm good :rock:

I've wanted one of these reissues and haven't thought about new gear in the last 2 months or so till now.
I love that tone with the strat. Damm you :LOL: :LOL:

Definitely not thin... and most definitely has balls. It's one of the darker more ballsy sounding Marshalls. It will have less gain, but most definitely be thicker sounding than a DSL 50/100W head.

Back