HSS opinions - Dean Vinman, Jackson SL1, ESP M3

stratjacket

I've been gassing for that single coil neck sound for a while. I bought a Fender USA strat last year, installed it with a YJM pick guard and really like the sound. However, I don't like the bridge single coil sound. So I started thinking a guitar with HSS would fit the bill. I have been looking at used Dean Vinman, Jackson soloist and pro, ESP mirage and M3...kind of any super strat with an HSS combo. I know I could just get a pick guard with HSS in it, but I would rather have a super start style than the Fender.

Opinions on the Vinman Anyone who has played and can compare? Have any others that worked that I may be missing?
I'm looking at used to really used market, so 900-1,300 range.
I play metal, high gain, mostly soloing shreddy (as best I can) type stuff.

I would just convert your Strat to Hss instead of buying another guitar. I am actually in the same boat with my Strat.

I think I am going to get some Dimarzio Injectors for the neck and middle as they are higher output than most single coils and work well with 500k pots. Both of those factors should help compliment a bridge humbucker.

Still not sure on what humbucker to use.

Thanks. I thought about just changing the pick guard, that would be much cheaper for sure. But still, I have been researching those others so much it's turned into one of those 'I know I won't be satisfied until I try one' type gassing things on those other guitars.

I had an ESP MIII that I wish I never sold.

m33.jpg

m3.jpg

I'd check out the recent Charvel guitars. There's a pretty good selection of HSS guitars. For your budget, you can look at recent USA built ones, though by all reports the imports are pretty good.

Metlupass2":rz74ogu5 said:
I had an ESP MIII that I wish I never sold.

That was a nice one, I know that feeling. I have a few things I still kick myself about trading away...

rstites":rz74ogu5 said:
I'd check out the recent Charvel guitars. There's a pretty good selection of HSS guitars. For your budget, you can look at recent USA built ones, though by all reports the imports are pretty good.

Charvel is definitely in the running and fit the bill.

Back