Gibson Les Paul Special: Which P90's??

Charvel1975

Hi guys!! 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special, all pots changed from factory 300k to Gibson 500k some time ago, new Grover 135C tuners, GraphTech notched saddles. I currently have a Dimarzio p90 super distortion in the bridge and stock Gibson p100 in the neck. Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E. Been thinking about either getting a pair of new Gibson P90's or get the Seymour Duncan Vintage Soapbar P-90 Pickup Set BLACK covers SP90-1b & SP90-1n or the SP90-1n and SP90-2b Hot for the bridge.

Any Gibson Les Paul Special owners here that have swapped out their Gibson P100's for the Duncan Vintage P90's for the bridge and neck positions or the vintage P90 neck and hot P90 bridge? Thanks!!

I would just go with regular issue Gibson p-90's. I've twice tried "upgrades" to Gibson P-90's and P-100's, Lollars one of those times and always went back to Gibson P-90's. I wouldn't sweat output of the pickup as much as it's EQ emphasis. Almost any amp has enough gain to play metal on some pretty quiet pickups.

skoora":1r32jtk7 said:
I would just go with regular issue Gibson p-90's. I've twice tried "upgrades" to Gibson P-90's and P-100's, Lollars one of those times and always went back to Gibson P-90's. I wouldn't sweat output of the pickup as much as it's EQ emphasis. Almost any amp has enough gain to play metal on some pretty quiet pickups.
This^. And remember, the hotter you go the less they sound like P90's and more like humbuckers.

I'd stick with a Gibson P-90 until you can't deal with the hum. Then seek out some Fralin's or Kinman's. I heard the Kinman's maybe closer in output to stock P-90's, but I have never tried them.

Mini humbucker should also fit in the route if you want to open up more possibilities.

I had the vintage SD neck and the hot bridge in my guitar for many years and loved them until I got the Fralin's. No need to change anything more in that guitar now.

Hello all!! Need pickup suggestions for my Les Paul Special P-100 that can get as close as possible to a humbucker sound. Looking at Alnico V magnets for smooth overdriven tones that are punchy and articulate with edge and bite, with fat lows and silky highs, and a midrange kick that cuts through the mix.

Hello all!! Need pickup suggestions for my Les Paul Special P-100 that can get as close as possible to a humbucker sound. Looking at Alnico V magnets for smooth overdriven tones that are punchy and articulate with edge and bite, with fat lows and silky highs, and a midrange kick that cuts through the mix.
The answer is the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90 / hot bridge set. That bridge absolutely rocks and the set is dead quiet. I've got them in my Hamer Korina special and got a 2nd set for a p90 mutt guitar I'm building.

https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Hot-Quiet-Coil-P-90-Soapbar-Pickup

Now, this should have been the original post, we're getting to what you actually want now! The Bare Knuckle Supermassive 90 would be an option worth considering. I tried one in the bridge pos and ended up swapping it out because it sounded more like a humbucker than I wanted...also it's Alnico V powered.

Back