Fortin Grind... useless w/Marshall types?

JerEvil

I am kind of interested in the Grind pedal but not sure if it will do anything interesting to my Quick Rod or Henning Bottle Rocket. Anyone using this pedal for adding flavor to Marshall style amps? I assume SOMEONE has to be!

I use it with my butterslax for another flavor. Sounds best with my diezel

It cuts a lot of bass, it likes thick amps IMO

I've used it with my Cali mod for a different flavor, and it sounds great with it. You'll likely have to dial in more bass and/or depth on your amp to make up some difference since it cuts a good bit of bass on the front end to get that tightness. But I really dig it.

I think it is cool, but for my needs, it needed more knobs. The sweet spot was around 1 o'clock. Any other location and it had too much gain or was overly compressed. I wanted to like it since Mike makes some amazing sounding amps and is a really nice guy.

Racerxrated":3czpibqd said:
I got an email about the Grind being revised a bit...not sure what changes were made?
Hmmmm...

I guess I am wondering mostly how this could push the Quick Rod over into more "brutal" territory.

For what its worth, I really like the Randall MOR with my TSL100...still wondering if anyone has compared the guts of the MOR to the Grind?

I don't think I've ever seen a Grind (including mine) that wasn't set at 1:00. :D That seems to be its sweet spot.

That being said I do use it with my 2203 at times (when playing a LP Custom drop tuned to Eb) but still enjoy the good ole' SD-1/DS-1/BD-2 Boss stuff better with the Marshall.

My Orange Rockerverb SLAYS with the Grind. In fact if more Orange players knew about the Grind and how it takes the dark loose sound of them into epic metal brootz-land they would all have this pedal.

I'm a fan of the pedal, but the amp needs to be thick to begin with.

Starman22":26h0efqy said:
I don't think I've ever seen a Grind (including mine) that wasn't set at 1:00. :D That seems to be its sweet spot.

That being said I do use it with my 2203 at times (when playing a LP Custom drop tuned to Eb) but still enjoy the good ole' SD-1/DS-1/BD-2 Boss stuff better with the Marshall.

My Orange Rockerverb SLAYS with the Grind. In fact if more Orange players knew about the Grind and how it takes the dark loose sound of them into epic metal brootz-land they would all have this pedal.

Gotcha. So that's why folks like it with a Dual Rec then...

Why do people spend $3-4000+ on an amp, and still feel the need to use boosts and other shit with them? Why not just get an amp that can do out of the box what you want it to?

sutepaj":3rlxslzi said:
Why do people spend $3-4000+ on an amp, and still feel the need to use boosts and other shit with them? Why not just get an amp that can do out of the box what you want it to?
I don't think ANYONE spends $4k on an amp feels they NEED to boost. Some people just like to tinker and see what other sounds they can come up with.

I literally NEVER boost my amps for my own use. Only for demo purposes on vids when asked.

sutepaj":50emb23v said:

I just moved from an EVH 50w head to an Uberschall, and feel I kinda fit your archetype here. At first I was pissed with the Uber, as it didn't grind like the EVH. After some tinkering and boost experimenting, I'm super glad I made the move I did.

In my estimation, ch. 3 of an EVH is a boosted version of ch. 2. It is a neat sound, but had some tones I didn't jive with. The uber does not grind like the EVH out of the box, but I'm finding that I can now choose the characteristics of the boost I run in front of it, and control the tone better. Listening to recordings I've made of both amps, I'm much happier with a boosted Uberschall.

Everyone likes different things, and so far I've never found an amp that made "the" sound without some convincing from external pedals or otherwise. At any rate, different strokes for different folks. :dunno:

sutepaj":3cn9z63h said:
A boost isn't always used to increase the gain. Sometimes they are used to change or add some higher mids into the tone, in a better way than what an EQ pedal can do. My 2C+ needs nothing gain wise, but when I turn the gain down on the amp and then hit my OD1X it puts the gain back in with a bit of Marshall upper mids...I like it best this way.

sutepaj":323e0ezm said:

I get your point 100%. I use pedals to add variety. I don't use them all of the time. I'm big into using an EQ in an amps loop to vary the tones as well.

JerEvil":1r34inpf said:
Starman22":1r34inpf said:

Gotcha. So that's why folks like it with a Dual Rec then...

Exactly. I really wanted to like it, but it was too limited for what use a boost for. Thought it just sounded bad on my 2204, and didn't like that I needed to dial my Mesa channel dark, when I need to use it unboosted sometimes. It's a good one trick tho.

NaturalBornBoy":2lfjtg8n said:
Oblivion DC":2lfjtg8n said:
NaturalBornBoy":2lfjtg8n said:
There's a Grinds Rev 2 in the works.

And what will this revision bring to the table??

IIRC, some capacitor changes and better components.

Do you have any idea how these changes will affect the performance of the pedal?? What shortcomings are being addressed here?

Back