Best amp for Black Metal

Intimidator333":14rtvkca said:
I had an Engl Savage 120 that I thought was perfect for black metal. I know Emperor used to use them. Or, if you want to be extra grim and kvlt, you can wire a shitty fuzz pedal into a small AM radio and record on a boom box in the woods at night during the winter solstice. Only release on cassette and only release 1 copy.

When did Emperor use an ENGL? Nightside Eclipse is a Marshall 8100, Anthems is a Peavey Bandit, and later stuff is Line6 AFAIK.

Really depends on what kind of black metal tone you're going for, OP. Any amp would work. Satyricon is Dual Rectifier, really old school bands used just about anything with a distortion pedal. Here's black metal with an ENGL Powerball:

Mad Axe":25ansjcr said:
kylendm":25ansjcr said:
If you have an amp already grab the S&K VHD pedal and run it into the return.
It's a VH140 in a pedal and sounds really close

I've been wondering about this thing myself, seems like it would be great for a pedalboard based fly-in rig.

I would probably go with a single channel Marshall and some sort of distortion pedal if I was doing black metal but I imagine a 5150/6505 would be alright too. You want lots of treble and fizz :LOL: :LOL: .
The best VH140 pedal pre I have tried is the PLX FX "Spirytus". Price is great and build is pretty damn clean.

Back