Boss Katana

crankyrayhanky":1gia5aev said:
Here's an in the room test with my new Zoom Q2N
I also applied a para eq from the Boss software and really like the results
Dude that sounds sick! I can not WAIT for tomorrow! LOL!

Watch me hate it once I get it!!!

JerEvil":z6iuollm said:
crankyrayhanky":z6iuollm said:
Here's an in the room test with my new Zoom Q2N
I also applied a para eq from the Boss software and really like the results
Dude that sounds sick! I can not WAIT for tomorrow! LOL!

Watch me hate it once I get it!!!

Keep telling yourself that Jer ;)

I'm curious if anyone has done any comparison to the Yamaha THR10X? Seems its sorta similar. The Yamaha obviously falls short on a lot of things that the Boss can do, but how about the sound in general? Does it blow it away or are they close??

phil b":3dq8uyd7 said:
I'm curious if anyone has done any comparison to the Yamaha THR10X? Seems its sorta similar. The Yamaha obviously falls short on a lot of things that the Boss can do, but how about the sound in general? Does it blow it away or are they close??
I have the THR10X. It sounds great. But the Katana blows it out. My 2 cents. ;)

moltenmetalburn":3jzgri08 said:
Swung by Seeetwater and got one for $329.

I AM a tube snob.

This thing KILLS for what it is and what it sells for.

THE FUTURE IS NOW. i wish this was my first amp at 16, I spent FAR more for WAY worse.

The crispness CAN be dialed out, all controls work as you are used to.

Zero complaints, even truly impressed with the onboard speaker, (makes me want to hack the amp a bit for an upgrade.)

The feature set is COMPLETE. Every other amp should take notice tubes or otherwise.

I think Ill be keeping mine as a bedroom praxtice amp that can do ANYTHING in a pinch.

It stands tall against my $6K rig no problem.

Jeez man at $350 they probably get these made st about $100, how far we have come.

Ive been A/B ing with tube buffer upfront. Feel is good alone but perfect with tube buffer up front.

What is this tube buffer you speak of?

LunatiBSW":2mmmmt61 said:
moltenmetalburn":2mmmmt61 said:
Swung by Seeetwater and got one for $329.

I AM a tube snob.

This thing KILLS for what it is and what it sells for.

THE FUTURE IS NOW. i wish this was my first amp at 16, I spent FAR more for WAY worse.

The crispness CAN be dialed out, all controls work as you are used to.

Zero complaints, even truly impressed with the onboard speaker, (makes me want to hack the amp a bit for an upgrade.)

The feature set is COMPLETE. Every other amp should take notice tubes or otherwise.

I think Ill be keeping mine as a bedroom praxtice amp that can do ANYTHING in a pinch.

It stands tall against my $6K rig no problem.

Jeez man at $350 they probably get these made st about $100, how far we have come.

Ive been A/B ing with tube buffer upfront. Feel is good alone but perfect with tube buffer up front.

What is this tube buffer you speak of?

i have "all" of them hahaha, the effectrode glass a, sarno balck box and vht valvulator. if i plug ANYTHING in between guitar and amp I ALWAYS use a tube buffer for TRUE tube amp feel.

ive been using the effectrode thus far for size reasons.

Mailman1971":2cga2v44 said:
phil b":2cga2v44 said:

The 5 inch speaker? Or plugged into a cabinet? Or both? I like my little thr10x a lot for home practice.

Marshall Freak":3vcafe2l said:
Mailman1971":3vcafe2l said:
phil b":3vcafe2l said:

The 5 inch speaker? Or plugged into a cabinet? Or both? I like my little thr10x a lot for home practice.
Actually never plugged it into a larger cab. I got some great vh1 tones out of the Yamaha on its own with the built in speaker. How do you slave it out to a bigger cab? Thru the Headphone out jack?
I would like to give it a whirl actually. :yes:

I just sold my Mark V so I think I'll be ordering one of these as soon as that transaction finishes up.

Got $40 in MF cash back and hopefully they'll give me 10-15% off too.

Marshall Freak":29fisqzn said:
Mailman1971":29fisqzn said:
phil b":29fisqzn said:

Well both actually, but mainly the built in speaker. The Yamaha is stereo and with the effects you can really get some pretty good tones. I think the Katana is mono {does it have a stereo out for 2 cabs?} so does it still sound better with the 5 inch speaker?

Mailman1971":2jv63hba said:
Marshall Freak":2jv63hba said:
Mailman1971":2jv63hba said:
phil b":2jv63hba said:

Actually never plugged it into a larger cab. I got some great vh1 tones out of the Yamaha on its own with the built in speaker. How do you slave it out to a bigger cab? Thru the Headphone out jack?
I would like to give it a whirl actually. :yes:

Yep, the Yamaha is really nice for dialing in that tone..reverb and all. :thumbsup:

My GDEC bit the dust. Marshall Code, Katana and Yamaha were the main choices for small practice amp.
Looks like Katana in landslide.

zewango":1icla1fo said:
My GDEC bit the dust. Marshall Code, Katana and Yamaha were the main choices for small practice amp.

I played mine again last night. I still feel the same about it. I would pay $350 again tomorrow for it and then some. Hell, Iv'e paid more for boutique pedals. One of my old band mates came over last night and I demoed it for him. He was like "Get the fuck out, how much?" :LOL: :LOL:

I could see using this Boss in a place I didn't want to drag my $6K rig to. Or if I wanted something light weight and easy. Or for a backup to my main rig. Or gig with it all the time. Most people would never notice the damn difference anyway. :doh:

I almost felt shame playing the expensive stuff out for a 30 minute set. As an original metal band that's all we get around here.

Anyway. Carry on. :rock:

Gsxrbusa":6rzf3gqd said:
zewango":6rzf3gqd said:

I played mine again last night. I still feel the same about it. I would pay $350 again tomorrow for it and then some. Hell, Iv'e paid more for boutique pedals. One of my old band mates came over last night and I demoed it for him. He was like "Get the fuck out, how much?" :LOL: :LOL:

I could see using this Boss in a place I didn't want to drag my $6K rig to. Or if I wanted something light weight and easy. Or for a backup to my main rig. Or gig with it all the time. Most people would never notice the damn difference anyway. :doh:

I almost felt shame playing the expensive stuff out for a 30 minute set. As an original metal band that's all we get around here.

Ya kinda grows on you doesn't it Tom!

Damn thing is still making me smile. The best part is knowing that this is a new benchmark for guitar period. This tone at this price point.

Using the filtering available in the app the amp can cop many name brand vibes if you know how to get there.

Got my Dmoll "matched" lol. Used the parametric at 400hz with a narrow q for the midcut and knowing the diezels are filtered after the preamp around 7K i used the 8k option in the katan, then some A/B tweaking and close enough for government work at literally a tenth of the cost.

No im not selling any tube amps. Its not 100 percent. but neither would I be compromising if I was using the katana.

Dont care if it gets stolen or dropped or left in trailer.

Jeff Hilligan":baa7je8b said:
Gsxrbusa":baa7je8b said:
zewango":baa7je8b said:

Ya kinda grows on you doesn't it Tom!

Indeed it does! :rock:

Late to the party here, and I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm being redundant. I've had the 100w 1x12 combo for several months now (bought it on Halloween) and it's a total winner.
For the price of a booteek pedal, it's a total no-brainer. I bought it simply to have another practice amp that I was hoping would do double duty for use at jam sessions. Mission accomplished...this thing can hang with a band without even breaking a sweat. I've had no fear of using it as a back up to my live rig ever since...I haven't needed to use it in that manner but I wasn't concerned either.
The kicker for me is the feel and dynamic response...I like it even better than my old Axe-Fx in that regard. All for less money than I would blow on a single night out.
I'm not about conduct an amp sell-off, but this thing is too much fun not to own. If you can't make it sound great, the problem is in your mirror.

Back