Boss Katana

MR MARCUS":2evr0q4a said:
Got mine a few days ago. Was fine without the editor. Now I'm really in total disbelief. This thing is for real!

I know I was truly amazed! After all these years of amps, plug in and bam!
Fun to play, easy to set up! Oh ya cheap!
Enjoy it!

so my local GC has a 100 watt combo.

i kinda want the head.

but i can always out into the PA with the combo, yes?

i am currently using S-Gear in the box with some secret sauce going into my interface.

how does the Katana sounds against sims like S-Gear, A4, Ignite, etc... ?

hodshonf":hkf4i3s1 said:
so my local GC has a 100 watt combo.

i kinda want the head.

but i can always out into the PA with the combo, yes?

i am currently using S-Gear in the box with some secret sauce going into my interface.

how does the Katana sounds against sims like S-Gear, A4, Ignite, etc... ?

If you have a cab and kinda want the head, I say get the head. You can always ad a 1x12 or 2x12 if needed. A 2x12 made from pine loaded with a pair of neo creambacks is on my list.

I'll be the heretic here and just say it. This is the only guitar board that's never mislead me. You guys know good tone! I just sold my grail amp, a Cameron Aldrich 3 channel after playing a Katana side by side with it for hours. I thought after seeing all the posts about it that it was a joke but seeing so many guys whose opinions on amps I respected rave about it, I figured, why not give it a try.

I was totally floored. This little 350 buck toy sounded and felt as good as the best amps ive owned. Wth?!

Better than my Aldrich? No. Was the katana 3000 less sounding than my Aldrich? Hell no! It sounded and felt like a good tube amp. That's saying a lot for me and my respect to all the posters who've guide me to such a great amp. Thank you!

richardt4520":1y9buykm said:
I'll be the heretic here and just say it. This is the only guitar board that's never mislead me. You guys know good tone! I just sold my grail amp, a Cameron Aldrich 3 channel after playing a Katana side by side with it for hours. I thought after seeing all the posts about it that it was a joke but seeing so many guys whose opinions on amps I respected rave about it, I figured, why not give it a try.

I was totally floored. This little 350 buck toy sounded and felt as good as the best amps ive owned. Wth?!

Better than my Aldrich? No. Was the katana 3000 less sounding than my Aldrich? Hell no! It sounded and felt like a good tube amp. That's saying a lot for me and my respect to all the posters who've guide me to such a great amp. Thank you!
Holy shit man. As great a player as you are, that's one hell of an endorsement.

richardt4520":1vrorcok said:

Badass! quite the endorsement.

It is easy to understand why all the scepticism, this thing SHOULDNT sound this good haha.

Delve into the app, true tone shaping is there. AB against your real amps and dial it in even closer.

I brought my katana rig to jam with a newer group ibe been working with, the other guitarist doesnt have live gear and pines for a tibe amp, (5150) so I brought katana for him to use. After the first rehearsal he says " how much for the whole rig" when I told him it was less than the head alone that he wanted he bought it on the spot haha. I am katana-less already but because its so GOOD lol.

Well it is picky about guitars. I read all you guys raving about it so I figured I should at least check it out. I walked into gc, plugged in a prs since that's what I usually play and I wanted a good representation of what I'd get with my guitars and the clean and brown channels just blew me away. I was kind of in shock! Haha I put the prs back on the wall and started to walk out of the store, turned around and grabbed an old carvin sitting near it and it sounded like crap. Same settings. I went home, played on my Cameron for a while to get a feel for it, then took one of my guitars back up there to try on it and was sold. Ordered a Katana head as soon as I got home.

Side by side, the Katana hung pretty well with the Aldrich for leads. It wasn't as complex or forgiving and didn't have the refined high end sizzle the Cameron had but it sounded and felt really good. The clean was actually better than the one on the Cameron for what I like.

I bought a couple of neo creambacks for a 2x12 I have lying around and have a great sounding, cheap, lightweight rig I can throw in the back of a car now. And not worrying about it getting stolen or breaking down-no idea how much it'd cost a tech to scrape all the black goop off the circuits in that thing just to fix it-is a blessing. Someone steals it or it falls out of my truck on i35? So what? I can get another for 300 bucks! Haha

@moltenmetalburn I'm with you on the app. I liked it for the clean and brown alone dry and could be happy just setting up those 2 across the 4 presets with no effects but plugged into the app, it really gives so many more options that I hope they add a bank feature in an update. Maybe have the channels double as bank buttons as well for 4 banks of 4 or something. I wasn't in love with the crunch channel but after figuring out how to stick some of the od models in front of it, I really like it for rhythm now. Lots of good effects in it but it bugs me that you can't save separate settings on each of the 3 modes (green-red-yellow) so it limits it for me on that. Hopefully they'll change that in an update. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

richardt4520":1y0hpmx1 said:

It was the same thing for me. I could not believe how good it sounded and when I went back to my costly high end tube amps. I just went.....fuck right back to the Katana! It makes playing guitar fun, has created tunes in my head and my wife is now giving me blowjobs because I stopped buying amps!

I can honestly say, "I ain't selling no amps!!!" BUT... the Katana IS legit as frunk! Just got my GAFC foot controller yesterday so setting up patches for tonight's gigging.

That's how it was for me too, Jeff. Just plugin and go!

Jerevil, I'd do the same but I always end up gravitating toward a single amp and the others collect dust so I quit keeping more than one around. As cheap as this little thing is though, I might just grab another amp or 2 at this point though.

Jeff Hilligan":3ntggkqv said:
.....and my wife is now giving me blowjobs because I stopped buying amps!

If that'll work on my wife then I'm getting one yesterday! Hell it could sound like a Gorilla combo with a Can-O-Bees pedal in front and I'd still buy it and quit buying other amps. :LOL: :LOL:

richardt4520":t7wtumlp said:

Yup I too was skeptical. Figured for 350 what the hell.

I too was DAMN!!!! hahaha

It does hang with my high gain high dollar amp heads easily. No doubts. ;)

Its in my house now out of the jam room. Just noodling on it thru the enclosed speaker.

But its so light and easy to move around. Not selling this little guy ever.

Got mine for sale. Can not get a good direct tone with it. GREAT through a cab but direct to PA/FOH, even with a cab sim it is "less than desirable"

Mailman1971":1csaegsy said:
Hell man .....
Helluva ride though right?? :D
I am playing through it and the 5" speaker and I still LOVE it... it is just the damn direct out that BLOWS!!!

I have it at $425 shipped with the controller and I will NOT budge so I will likely have it a while yet.

Yup. Sold my old Yamaha toaster practice amp for this reason. Brang the boss into the house.
Dicking with it on the built in speaker.
But knowing damn well I can take it to the jam room...,
And just melt faces :D
But you know they are easy to get. So fuck it.... let it go. :yes:

We just had the Mooer Hagen preamp plugged into Katana FX return.

It sounds just as good as the Katana preamp does, they would mate well with this head FYI.

Back