Boss Katana

cujo

So after playing one n watching clips I went back n bought the Katana Head. Took me 2 hours to get the editor up n running. Didn't realize I had to update head already. Anyway. Nice editor. Really expands this thing. Got the foot pedal too. Enough BS ... plugged it into my Engl pro 4x12 and literally holy shit. Does this amp fkn rip !!! We used it at practice n it cuts like a knife. At store it was a bit raspy but I used a diff cab to try it. This has v30 in it n literally this sounds better than some high dollar amps out there. So I ask myself why the fuck would I drag a heavy amp w all the bullshit to a show instead of this. Yes that good !

It definitely shines at higher volumes. I had it hooked up to my Friedman Cab and played on it for an hour or so. It sounded good and full, i was afraid to plug into my BE-100 again thinking that the Boss sounded just as good.

Well, it doesn't sound just as good and the Friedman has the dynamics of no other amp, but It was damn close in the sound department. This little cheapo head is the shit.

That's awesome that you like it. I've had the 100 watt 1 x 12 combo for a few months now and I love it. It smokes and is incredibly versatile. I've probably played my 5150 iii twice since I got the Katana.

The thing I love most about it is that it inspires me to play more. When I heard the tone I get, I just want to play and play and play.

I can't recommend this amp enough.

Enjoy!

Exactly it's one of those inspirational amps. Makes me want to write. This amp is loud as hell too. I can't believe it.

Same thing for me! Flat out rips! Inspiration happens every time I play it! So easy, so light and it sounds the same every time I plug in!

So you guys have had it at live volume with a full band and it kept up? The demos sound great and I am so sick of carrying an extra Marshall/Mesa whatever as a backup. I'd love to have an all in one backup like this that's light as well

cecilbag":rk5af0x3 said:
So you guys have had it at live volume with a full band and it kept up? The demos sound great and I am so sick of carrying an extra Marshall/Mesa whatever as a backup. I'd love to have an all in one backup like this that's light as well

It's capable of being louder than my Friedman can get. It's freaking loud.

atrox":3uuj2cg3 said:
cecilbag":3uuj2cg3 said:

Loud and still sounds great!

Jeff Hilligan":25zlv5jd said:
atrox":25zlv5jd said:
cecilbag":25zlv5jd said:

Loud and still sounds great!

Shit... sounds better the louder it is. Lots of "oomph" too which many modelers lack

This don't even sound like a modeler. The brown channel is full shred alert ! As expected the boss fx sound killer. Take this anywhere on a plane it be easy.

It truly doesn't sound like a modeler at all.

The Brown channel is killer. I have been using the Lead channel more because it sounds closest to my Friedman, but I have one channel set to brown for extra good high gain madness

We practiced last night with it. Sitting on top of some high dollar heads my other guitarist laughed n said. What the Fuck ???? This blows away some of the big dollar amps. It doesn't even feel or react like solid state ?

I just got to plug into one of the combo versions last week, and I really liked it. I could be happy with one of these as a home rig, for sure. So cheap and portable, with tons of options and a great sound. BOSS really nailed it here.

This is some whacked info. People in this thread have had some monster amps and to read this is dumbfounding. I'll have to check this thing out....

I've had my Katana head for several weeks now and am very happy with it. The effects are outstanding and having a little speaker built into the head is also a real bonus. The clean and distortion channels are all very good and have more of a tube-like feel than most expensive modeling units with the exception of the AxeFX. The irony of it is that it puts a lot of modeling amps to shame at it's price range. It sounds really good, but if I were to criticize it at all, the only thing I'd criticize is the fuzz stomps. The fuzz stomps just sound like smooth overdrives, and actually a good sound, but not nearly like an authentic fuzz. The software is a nice bonus and really takes the Katana to it's potential. It's so much fun to play and practice on. I don't care anything for Boss modeling stuff, but this is very different from any of their COSM stuff. Best gear value I've found in a long time.

Wonder if Guitar Center carries these. Gotta check one out for sure. You guys need to make some more videos of these. Not enough good ones out there.

I went to buy one and saw it only had one speaker input.
Just been so used to playing with two 4x12s for many years I don't wanna go to one.
I know. Sounds crazy. :LOL: :LOL:
But the clips I hear sound great for sure. :rock:

Back