Upgrading cables, Capacitance question.

maddnotez

Banned
Edit: see last post for cap question.

I do not have tons of cash to throw around so extensive testing is not an option.

I have never had very high quality cables and I am not sure where to begin or what I even want from them. I just want something good but not too expensive and with no extra noise. I am happy with my tone however my rig is noisy and I have not experienced the difference of having good cables so I am not sure what will happen.

I will need several patch cables for my 8 or so pedals, one for my guitar to the board and I will also need two longer cables (maybe 10 - 20 ft.?) to go from the board to the FX loop and 1 or 2 speaker cables from my amp to the cab.

I am using a Bogner Uberschall Rev 2. I guess it could be called a dark sounding amp. I use either a Mills 4x12 with V30's or a Mills 2x12 with Legend V12's and my main guitar is a Horizon with BKP Miracle Man.

I have done the searches and came up with a list but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some of the pros what they thought for my specific rig.

I will need them pre assembled and while I am not sure if it is needed, the pancake connectors appeal to me to save some room?

Canare GS6, Magami 2319/2524, George L, EBS. I am not sure what is best but again, I just want something good and pre assembled that won't break the bank. What say you?

They're nothing fancy, but Planet Waves stuff has done the trick for me for a few years now. I tried George Ls and they definitely sounded better, but were too unreliable for me and the sound kept cutting out, so they had to go. For as long as I've been on this board, I've always seen guys here mention just making your own cables with Mogami cable and Neutrik ends, but I haven't tried that yet. Might be worth a shot though! Cheers

VH4_BigRig":ttsz87ey said:
They're nothing fancy, but Planet Waves stuff has done the trick for me for a few years now. I tried George Ls and they definitely sounded better, but were too unreliable for me and the sound kept cutting out, so they had to go. For as long as I've been on this board, I've always seen guys here mention just making your own cables with Mogami cable and Neutrik ends, but I haven't tried that yet. Might be worth a shot though! Cheers

Thanks for the reply and yeah I have been leaning towards Mogami or Canare but I can't assemble them myself. Good to know about the GL's I mean yeah sounding better is ideal but not at the cost of reliability issues.

For bang to buck ratio, I think it's pretty hard to beat Planet Wave American Stage series cables. If you want to spend about $50 on one cable, I have been pretty happy with my Armor Gold cable.

Crunchtime":kqdcm3md said:
For bang to buck ratio, I think it's pretty hard to beat Planet Wave American Stage series cables. If you want to spend about $50 on one cable, I have been pretty happy with my Armor Gold cable.

I see the PW uses Neutrik connectors which is cool but what about the actual wire? Do they make their own do you know? Can't find any info about it.

Edit: Actually found an old post here saying the 30 ft. cable is 28pf/ft. I may actually look into these cables. I think 30 ft is a bit much for me but anyway thanks for posting.

I switched everything over to these a while back. http://www.rattlesnakecables.com/

The owner (Hank) builds everything himself. High quality and very clear tone. Superb customer service. Within 3 days of ordering I have the cables on my doorstep. That was never the case with other companies I bought from.

I own a lot of these cables for what it's worth. My two pedalboards and my many amps.

They come in different colors and In my case that makes things easier to identify. :LOL: :LOL:

Gsxrbusa":2hipxu6s said:
I switched everything over to these a while back. http://www.rattlesnakecables.com/

The owner (Hank) builds everything himself. High quality and very clear tone. Superb customer service. Within 3 days of ordering I have the cables on my doorstep. That was never the case with other companies I bought from.

I own a lot of these cables for what it's worth. My two pedalboards and my many amps.

They come in different colors and In my case that makes things easier to identify. :LOL: :LOL:

I think it may have been you I saw talking about them a couple of weeks ago and I signed up for the mailing list. They do seem really nice but are also pretty pricey IMO. Maybe it is worth trying one but I am really liking the price on the Planet Waves. Not sure if there is a huge difference in quality though.

Another vote here for the Planet Waves American stage series (not the classic series which is the budget line). Been very happy with them and best bang for your buck for a step up from cheap cables.

nigelpkay":qhva11c6 said:
Another vote here for the Planet Waves American stage series (not the classic series which is the budget line). Been very happy with them and best bang for your buck for a step up from cheap cables.

I do think I will get this for my guitar to board. Maybe in the future I will spend $60+ on a cable but not right now.

Still debating on patch cables. My buddy is convincing me to get a PW soldierless kit. It is appealing but they do not have the Neutrik ends so I am still debating on that.

born_hard":3am7590i said:
Solder your cables yourself. Learn it. Its easy.

I probably should but I suck. I wired some pups but I probably did a bad job and idk. I guess an iron is worth the investment. I may look into it.

My drummer has a soldiering iron but I think it's a cheap one. Like maybe a step up from the radio shack kind :p

I could use it but I'm not sure if it's worth using one that's not so great?

I used a radio shack iron for years. As long as it's hot enough to properly melt the solder, you'll be fine. I just pulled apart some 15 year old cables I made that still worked perfect because I need different lengths. They weren't pretty but were reliable. Search YouTube and find some vids. It's a waste of money not to learn. All that said, btpa is great. I ordered a bunch of stuff from them when I reworked my pedalboard.

Back