Recommend me a British style classic rock amp

NaturalBornBoy":2fhxrs1y said:
danyeo":2fhxrs1y said:
One of the older DSL's, not the new one's which are crap IMHO.

Why do you say so?

I have the older, JCM2000 one and I love it to death. Have never had the chance to try the new DSL100H though.

I mean the new one's you see in Guitar Center now that are made in Vietnam, or Mexico? Or wherever they throw them together. I think those new one's are horrid. I like the older DSL and JCM2000. But some of those old TSL's were garbage. I was in a band with a guy who had one and it gave him so many problems.

danyeo":1radl450 said:
NaturalBornBoy":1radl450 said:
danyeo":1radl450 said:

Why do you say so?

I have the older, JCM2000 one and I love it to death. Have never had the chance to try the new DSL100H though.

I mean the new one's you see in Guitar Center now that are made in Vietnam, or Mexico? Or wherever they throw them together. I think those new one's are horrid. I like the older DSL and JCM2000. But some of those old TSL's were garbage. I was in a band with a guy who had one and it gave him so many problems.

I was just wondering why you think the new, Vietnam made, DSL100H is horrid? Do they sound that much worse than the original JCM2000 DSL head?

JerEvil":3iipxc9e said:
How much are you looking to spend? Are you a straight baller? If so, get a Wizard! If you want to NOT spend a ton of money, grab an older Marshall. Hell, I'd personally grab a post 2012 Splawn Quick Rod for $1k'ish or a Friedman Dirty Shirley.

Everything this guy said.

The Marshall JCM 900 4101 Combo I'm selling will more than cover any wants in this range. 100w/50w - sounds great loud (and it gets loud) and low - super portable - takes pedals really well - can power another cab (including a 4x12), I have a Mojotone Canyon sitting underneath it - recording compensated out enables direct tracking (best into cab emulator) with zero volume, functions with standby off. An EQ in the loop turns this amp into a metal beast, too.

Here's a couple quick, crap videos of the combo only:

candletears7":3czg3s5u said:
Hey guys, I'm considering getting another amp.
Currently have a Soldano SLO + 4x12 cab with Eminence X1000's and a Mesa MKIII + 4X12 Stiletto cab with V30's.
That's what I use in the band which is alternative rock/metal.
I'm after something British and old school sounding.

In your opinion, what's the ultimate British rock amp?
I'd mainly use this to take pedals at home and occasionally get it up to drumkit levels, so it doesn't need to be a 50w stage amp - I use my other rigs live.

Cheers!
Jesse.

Why not save some cash and just plug in one of the many AIAB/MIAB pedals into your clean channel and call it a day?

danyeo":2c3w4u1p said:
NaturalBornBoy":2c3w4u1p said:
danyeo":2c3w4u1p said:

Why do you say so?

Heh. I actually prefer my Vietnam DSL100H over my old JCM2000. They sound identical to me, but the new ones have more usable gain. I also prefer the resonance knob over the deep button. The reverb is shit on the new ones (digital), but i have never used reverb anyway.

Either way, i got it for free, so who cares :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Friedman Buxom Betty. Isn't British classic rock exactly what it's designed for?

Marshall Silver Jubilee! GC and Sweetwater are blowing them out for 1249 .... I'm going today to get mine

SavageRiffer":2d2148u8 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Friedman Buxom Betty. Isn't British classic rock exactly what it's designed for?
The Buxom Betty is a non-master volume amp that sounds more Blackface than British to me. You have to use a pedal or really crank it to get any dirt. I second the Dirty Shirley if you have that much to spend.

marshall2553":pb3z0ah8 said:
SavageRiffer":pb3z0ah8 said:
The Buxom Betty is a non-master volume amp that sounds more Blackface than British to me. You have to use a pedal or really crank it to get any dirt. I second the Dirty Shirley if you have that much to spend.

I thought pedals for dirt was a given (I wouldn't have suggested the Vox AC30 either if it wasn't pedals for dirt). From the op:
candletears7":pb3z0ah8 said:
I'd mainly use this to take pedals at home and occasionally get it up to drumkit levels, so it doesn't need to be a 50w stage amp - I use my other rigs live.
A BE-OD into an AC30 is a wonderful thing imo. A BE-OD into a Buxom Betty sounds like it could be good too.

If you don't need to 50 watts.
Mini Dirty Shirley or Pink Taco.
Anything in the JTM camp is classic British rock to me.

candletears7":3f83sv4p said:
V2a":3f83sv4p said:
How about the Marshall mini Jube (2525)?

or a JTM45 kit.

An 18w kit has been on my mind lately.
EL84, Voxy and Marshally...

"EL84, Voxy and Marshally" makes me think of a Peavey Classic 50 (or 30 I guess but I have the 50). You should be able to get one of those fairly cheap.

For British classic rock tones at home, I like my Cornford Hellcat (35W, EL84), does pretty decently at relatively lower volumes. I also sometimes run one of those anniversary 1W Marshall heads (I have the JMP and JCM versions, there's a JTM if you want to go earlier), sometimes straight into cab, but sometimes slaved into a 50W JVM's FX return (can do this in low wattage mode that brings the 1W way down, also lets me get the overall volume way up if I want it for rehearsal/performance levels).

For pedals, also like running a Bogner La Grange (with a good OD when I want the low end tightened up).

Back