Recommend me a British style classic rock amp

jdel77

Hey guys, I'm considering getting another amp.
Currently have a Soldano SLO + 4x12 cab with Eminence X1000's and a Mesa MKIII + 4X12 Stiletto cab with V30's.
That's what I use in the band which is alternative rock/metal.
I'm after something British and old school sounding.

In your opinion, what's the ultimate British rock amp?
I'd mainly use this to take pedals at home and occasionally get it up to drumkit levels, so it doesn't need to be a 50w stage amp - I use my other rigs live.

Cheers!
Jesse.

How much are you looking to spend? Are you a straight baller? If so, get a Wizard! If you want to NOT spend a ton of money, grab an older Marshall. Hell, I'd personally grab a post 2012 Splawn Quick Rod for $1k'ish or a Friedman Dirty Shirley.

rickenbacker198":1i98mclj said:
Wizard - the ultimate "British" amp.
Agree, but not the best amp for home use only.
I'd mainly use this to take pedals at home and occasionally get it up to drumkit levels, so it doesn't need to be a 50w stage amp - I use my other rigs live.
Friedman Dirty Shirley or Smallbox might be better for this application.

IMHO it's the Marshall 2204

But really for what you're saying suits your needs, just plug the SLO into the V30 cab and use the Crunch channel. It's not as "rich" sounding as the Marshall IMHO, but it does a fine job.

candletears7":1o7ylygg said:
danyeo":1o7ylygg said:
Uuuugggghhhh. A Marshall? :confused:

Yeah but there's only 50 billion varieties of Marshall :/
Which one floats your boat?

One of the older DSL's, not the new one's which are crap IMHO. You can get them between 600-800 and sound pretty damm good for their price.

fusedbrain":32qe4mqn said:
rickenbacker198":32qe4mqn said:
Wizard - the ultimate "British" amp.
Agree, but not the best amp for home use only.
Friedman Dirty Shirley or Smallbox might be better for this application.

+1 on the Friedmans.

danyeo":189z6449 said:
candletears7":189z6449 said:
danyeo":189z6449 said:
Uuuugggghhhh. A Marshall? :confused:

Yeah but there's only 50 billion varieties of Marshall :/
Which one floats your boat?

One of the older DSL's, not the new one's which are crap IMHO. You can get them between 600-800 and sound pretty damm good for their price.

Interesting idea.
As much as I read people paying out on DSL's, they've always sounded pretty good to me!

danyeo":k6puhb7q said:
One of the older DSL's, not the new one's which are crap IMHO.

Why do you say so?

I have the older, JCM2000 one and I love it to death. Have never had the chance to try the new DSL100H though.

Depends a lot on what you think is "British Rock" sound. Real old school is JTM45 like, that are smoother and warmer. Then there is the whole Plexi-family and last but not least the JCM 800 family. All of them have enough flavors in themselves. But you first need to understand which generation you are after...

Having said that, for Plexi to 800 sound, get a Wizard MC2 or the MC25 if you want lower wattage.

Back