what tunings do you guys use?

Standard, Drop D, Drop C.

I rarely tune standard anymore. Original material is drop D on most things. Much heavier and I LOVE open strings. I always use an open string to a fretted note.

I tuned a 1/2 step down for years and years, then down a full step. But for the last year, I've been just using standard tuning. I got tired of having to transpose keyboards and samples down to my guitar tuning, so just went standard tuning.

I really got into 7 strings and I love them, but I do not like the sound of a really dropped 7th or 8th string anywhere I've heard. I actually love the mids and not the super low stuff. So I go with pretty light, 9.5-55 (7 string set - 9.5, 13, 16, 22, 29, 41, 55) balanced set from Kalium (aka Circle K). This works great for me.

stratjacket":1atmzcsp said:
I tuned a 1/2 step down for years and years, then down a full step. But for the last year, I've been just using standard tuning. I got tired of having to transpose keyboards and samples down to my guitar tuning, so just went standard tuning.

I really got into 7 strings and I love them, but I do not like the sound of a really dropped 7th or 8th string anywhere I've heard. I actually love the mids and not the super low stuff. So I go with pretty light, 9.5-55 (7 string set - 9.5, 13, 16, 22, 29, 41, 55) balanced set from Kalium (aka Circle K). This works great for me.
I was just checking out the Kalium stuff. Wow is that a shit website. I've got no clue what I'm looking at. Long product SKU numbers with no descriptions, acoustic strings popping up under the electric guitar filter, and an About Us page that hasn't been updated in years.

Alternate tunings. Best way to get out of a creative rut on the guitar! I use or have used em all! Sometimes I just stumble upon a chord progression or voicing and if the open strings aren't quite there I twist the pegs until it works.

Soundgarden and Sevendust have always been big influences with alternate tunings. Ian Thornley uses some nice open tunings too.

I tune all of my guitars down 1 whole step to D standard. However, lately I've kept a couple of them tuned to standard C because I'm kind of liking the tone a bit more lately.

Back