what tunings do you guys use?

Drop D, drop C, drop A for 7s and I dig open B or open C for some Devin Townsend type stuff.

Once a year or so I'll throw some EMGs into a LP and use some 12-60s for some sludge/doom in drop B.

Standard, Drop D, Double Drop D. The Double Drop D is usually only on acoustic for Black Mountain Side/Song for George type stuff. And open-E on my lapsteel.

mudf00t":ssz0m6hi said:
I usually tune standard D (whole step down). This makes it drop C on dropped guitars.

This for me too but I am primarily in drop C. Sometimes I will tune it up to D standard and every now and then I use Drop Bb which is pretty awesome sounding.

I don't use 7's anymore but when I did it was either Drop A or Drop G.

sadly all of my guitars are tuned to drop C. my wolfgang with a Dtuna occasionally sees D standard but that's about it for alternate tunings

Standard, Drop D, and Open C are the 3 most common. I do some weird ones too, like DGDGBE/CGDGBE and down tuned versions of that.

Depends on the band. Of the projects in recent years, my tunings in have been E/Drop D, Eb/Drop Db, and a couple of tracks only that were tuned in "Dropped Bb" (aka, the entire guitar is tuned down a half step except the low E, which is tuned to Bb). So, all of my guitars are tuned to either standard or half step down, then I retune the low E as necessary.

Bought the thickest strings I've ever had this weekend. Dr DDT-13's and have it tuned to drop A on a 6 string. There a little stiff but man it sounds awesome. Gonna stick it out and see if I can get used to them. If not I gotta go back up to 12' or 11's.

Back