AXE FX Ultra vs AXE II are there big differences ?

I´d hope so, I thought the amp sims on the Ultra were so-so, at least for DI use which was what I bought it for, and people swear that the II actually, properly sounds a lot better. I´m sure there are plenty of differences on paper in what it can do, but the basic tone is what I´m most curious about.

They are different
I had ultra and Ax8 other than sound the platform is constantly evolving the ultra has been complete for a while for the price a used ultra is get the 1299 AX8

The AFX2 sounds way better, has a ton more amp models & also has much better included cab IRs.

It's also just so much easier to get a great tone with just amp/cab & basic tone settings.

It also includes the tone matching feature which can be fun....

The Ultra, dialed in properly, was as real sounding as the tube amps it emulated. The Axe II took this to another level, and was even more realerer (and the Ultra somehow became less real in the process). There is now more recent firmware for the Axe II, and we are confident this time it is definitely the final real.

I had the Ultra for several years and then got the 2 when it first came out. There are too many differences to list. There used to be a comparison chart somewhere, but I can't find it. Basically, there is more computing power, more memory, more routing options, improved I/O and other technology and updated firmware/software. The Ultra is still good and if you can get one cheap, it will still sound great. But it's a finished product with no future changes.

This sums it up I think: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_Standard_and_Ultra#End_Of_Life
and quote: Cliff: "I really wish I could update the Standard and Ultra but it is simply out of memory. There are literally 1309 words left (out of 128K) in the Ultra's EPROM. That's enough room for maybe one or two amp models and that's it. IR slots are limited by the size of the SRAM which is fixed. I'd like nothing more than to bring some of the Axe-Fx II modeling to those old products but it's simply not feasible."

The II has had about 27 updates to the software since the Ultra. Much more accurate modeling the effects are easier to dial in, it is a USB interface, etc....

I talked to several people when I was looking at them and EVERYONE said the II was way better, more real.

I had a chance at an Axe Ultra yesterday but it was a younger guy and he was kinda flaky getting on the phone.

The CL deal didn't have a good Karma.

My impression is the Axe II has alot of updated features that were lacking on the other models.

I let it pass.

The Ultra sounded and felt like a real tube amp...until the II came out and was like a realer tube amp. I'm sure an even realer one is in the works.

Rock Bodom":1mh9t4d9 said:
The Ultra, dialed in properly, was as real sounding as the tube amps it emulated. The Axe II took this to another level, and was even more realerer (and the Ultra somehow became less real in the process). There is now more recent firmware for the Axe II, and we are confident this time it is definitely the final real.
One of the best posts I've seen in a while. :LOL: :LOL:

I actually own both. Got the Ultra in 2009 and the 2 in 2013.

The Ultra is a great box and I used it live for 5 years and hundreds of gigs. It's still pretty great sounding and feeling IMO. 3rd party cab IRs help a good deal.
The 2 is way easier to get very authentic tones from...that sums up my experience.

Edit: I started with the Ultra live, going into a Marshall 9005 50/50 EL34 poweramp, into 2 Marshall 4x12s. That setup, was as good as any 'real amp' rig I've used as far as SOUNDING LIKE AN AMP. LOL.

I'm probably going to unload the Ultra as I am in need of some cash.

Ultra.jpg

The dude with the Axe Ultra and i have been chatting, i may end up getting this afternoon.

We will see ...

I will mostly use just the FX portion of the Axe least thats the plan.

yeah, when I receive a CL email saying something like "u still got ur x, I might be interested" then I just know...

The FX of the Ultra were real good. It came up a bit short compared to my regular FX rack, but it was heads and tails over any other all-in-one box for guitar I´ve ever tried.

HUGE differences, man.

Honestly, if you just want the FX, grab the FX8, run it 4cm and you'll be good.

Not for nothing, but the Axe FX are amAAAAAAAAAAAzing. For real.

Back