What Do You Think of This?

SavageRiffer

Banned
I saw the 40th anniversary DS-1 on Reverb listed for $59, so I made the seller an offer of $45. They declined my offer without explanation, so I sent them a message asking them to explain why they declined my offer and why they had the "best offer" option in their listing if they're not interested in taking offers. Then I made another offer for $49, which is $10 less than the retail price. Well, they declined my offer with the following message:

"25% off an item is lowball and rude in itself, so no we do not believe declining a lowball offer is rude.
If you were to ask for 10% off, no problem, but that's ridiculous.

Be like someone walking in your job and telling you, think you ought to work for 25% less money..
Scitscat Music Feb 22, 2017 10:27 AM
"

Jeez! Has customer service become non-existent? What the hell is wrong with people these days?

if it was me,and they declined my offer,i wouldn't think of asking them why they declined it. i would just assume it was less than they wanted for it. why is it wrong for them to decline it without explaining? best offer means best offer...not who has the first offer.

edit...please note this is my opinion, someone whom doesnt really know much of anything.

rottingcorpse":6jn0ma7o said:
if it was me,and they declined my offer,i wouldn't think of asking them why they declined it. i would just assume it was less than they wanted for it. why is it wrong for them to decline it without explaining? best offer means best offer...not who has the first offer.

edit...please note this is my opinion, someone whom doesnt really know much of anything.
This. To me it is understood that if they decline the offer, it wasn't enough $. No need to tell me the obvious.

That said, I wouldn't have done it the way Shithat did. I'd have made a counter-offer. Sounds like he didn't price it right. If it says OBO he should know it damn sure ain't selling for the asking price. So set the asking price accordingly.

rottingcorpse":2no16nzr said:

Here's the thing, by including a "best offer" option, you are inviting offers. Therefore, if someone goes through the trouble of making an offer, then simply declining it without explanation leaves the buyer with no clue of how much they are expected to offer and no choice of a counter-offer. Even a lowball offer should at least be replied with something like "Thank you but that offer is way too low for me. I'm willing to go 10% off if you still want to buy it. It's shitty to invite offers and then decline people without a response.

It would be nice to send an explanation. Also their message is rude, you just asked. Who determines exactly how many % is lowballing and how many is ok?

But, that aside, you're a bit too anal about it.

I think they were a little overzealous with their reply, but not much more than your message. They did take your offer, and didn't accept it. Being open to offers doesn't mean they have to take any offer they get, and it really doesn't even mean they need to offer any explanation as to why they didn't accept. They definitely could have gone about the whole thing more politely, but I don't think they did anything actually in the wrong until you sent an accusatory message.

xzacx":4luh4utu said:
I think they were a little overzealous with their reply, but not much more than your message. They did take your offer, and didn't accept it. Being open to offers doesn't mean they have to take any offer they get, and it really doesn't even mean they need to offer any explanation as to why they didn't accept. They definitely could have gone about the whole thing more politely, but I don't think they did anything actually in the wrong until you sent an accusatory message.

I never said they did anything wrong. I said they have shitty customer service.

How can you say they have shitty customer service? You never made it to the ranks of being a customer of theirs.

Tonelover":2l2a2dor said:
How can you say they have shitty customer service? You never made it to the ranks of being a customer of theirs.

Customer service occurs before, during, and after a sale. You don't have to actually make a purchase to be a customer or receive customer service. This concept can be understood using common sense.

Back