Bye AX8... Hello Katana (it's not a modeler)!

JerEvil":8474v79s said:
ob1clyde":8474v79s said:
This is one of the many reasons I sent
Back the AxeFx2 I had just ordered
This month.. a simple
Plug and and play low
Volume
Option with the capabilities to go
Direct if I so desired into whatever.. the little speaker
Is what's got
Me
Sold! Just for
Bedroom
Jamming..
Yeah man. Right there with you. TRYING to stick with balancing my need vs want. After hearing some killer recordings of it, It was a no-brainer.

Here are some a bud of mine did:

demo is 5 parts which are the main tones he uses:
1-Pushed clean
2- same with tremolo
3-modern clean with chorus
4- crunch ( actually the lead channel - various levels using the guitar volume knob)
5-lead (lead channel with boost and delay)

https://app.box.com/s/7v3o6qoassvwb361zm4q14na0velqcm1

Then some pick dynamics showing how the gain can be scaled back or opened up depending on pick attack

https://app.box.com/s/r1yk0473o6xxp2op16pyr97542dq4rpr

Honestly the clean and lead tones sound amazing. Crunch was ok imo and acceptable but left a little to be desired. However for the money and for the leads and cleans it sounds great. I'd love to play one in person to see how it sounds/feels.

I only spent some time with a Katana in a shop test room with the 5' speakers and walked out super impressed... it's a potential market killer.. if it had a "Friedman" logo on it instead of a Boss it would be seen as a point of no return.

In my situation, with so many good low volume amps I have I don't see a reason to get a Katana tho.. even with that super low price.

kunos":1wblmcw6 said:
I only spent some time with a Katana in a shop test room with the 5' speakers and walked out super impressed... it's a potential market killer.. if it had a "Friedman" logo on it instead of a Boss it would be seen as a point of no return.

In my situation, with so many good low volume amps I have I don't see a reason to get a Katana tho.. even with that super low price.

It's hardly a low volume amp though. This sucker gets loud and sounds better as it gets louder. It competes with my BE100 in volume.

atrox":s6f25gh2 said:
kunos":s6f25gh2 said:

It's hardly a low volume amp though. This sucker gets loud and sounds better as it gets louder. It competes with my BE100 in volume.
So at the lowest wattage setting through a 1x12, I imagine that will sound killer?

Kapo_Polenton":2cs2oy5m said:
Let's hear it when you get it!
Oh for sure! Will be here tomorrow so I will get something done this weekend. Maybe "Maggots" from Gwar finally! LOL! But with power metal style vocals...

Sorry man, but as much as I praise the Katana, I'd never get rid of an AX8 for one. I've had my Katana for a couple of months now and am very happy with it, but I'd be glad to turn it over for an AX8.

atrox":3cezsm98 said:
kunos":3cezsm98 said:

It really does keep up and stay with both of my tube amps volume wise. SS amps usually crap out at high volumes, this one does not.

JerEvil":2ozalv8k said:
atrox":2ozalv8k said:
kunos":2ozalv8k said:

So at the lowest wattage setting through a 1x12, I imagine that will sound killer?

Yeah. It sounds great on any of the wattage settings at any volume. I just prefer it pushed. I, like Billy, usually keep it on the 100 watt mode. the master works well enough there for low volumes and sounds a lil less squishy

SavageRiffer":38s9oplj said:
Sorry man, but as much as I praise the Katana, I'd never get rid of an AX8 for one. I've had my Katana for a couple of months now and am very happy with it, but I'd be glad to turn it over for an AX8.
Well to be fair, I got rid of the AX8 to fund a Les Paul. The AX8 stopped getting used at home s soon as I got more accustomed to the Torpedo Studio. I also am no longer gigging where I need a direct solution.

The AX8 slays and if I decide I'm not a LP guy, I'll trade the Lp towards an AxeII most likely. The Katana is for office/late night practice which is all the AX would be used for anyway. I agree, theKatana is no AX8 but it also doesn't need to be, if that makes sense.

crankyrayhanky":3gaspto3 said:
lol, that would be awesome! Please make sure to add red colored Hersheys syrup for splatter effect
Guess who just hand programmed all the drums for a GWAR song.....

Only thing I did was shorten that long ass solo part. The leads kind of suck so just went to the guitar harmonies after the "Beneath the sky, of maggots I walked..." part

How you enjoying the modeler?

:) JK

Seriously though I've always been a fan of most things BOSS. When I was in high school in the 80s, their pedals were the gold standards and the ones everyone wanted to own. Then later, I owned one of the pedal boards. I was in a band in the late 80s in Korea when I was stationed there and didn't have a lot of money or room to store stuff. I got a tiny little BOSS combo amp with two speakers in it and actually did a show with it. :) I have no doubt that the Katana will be another success for BOSS.

I've been an Axe-Fx II owner for years and love the Fractal stuff but I would have no problem getting whatever amp gets great tones. Enjoy it man!

Back