Bye AX8... Hello Katana (it's not a modeler)!

JerEvil

LOL! I am actually selling the AX8 to fund a new Les Paul. Love the AX8 but ordered a Katana and it will more than cover my needs for a digital solution. Plus with my Source Ausio pedals being able to be controlled via midi, I can add as many effects as I like and still run direct for the few times a year I need to.

Also, let's stop calling the Katana a modeler.... it's a programable amp. It doesn't model anything.

Mailman1971":j9fepljz said:
Your gonna dig it man. For real :yes:
:rock:
Yeah I am stoked. After hearing some more clips from a few dudes who's ears I trust AND hearing a vid of the built in speaker, it REALLY is a no-brainer. I kept hearing people say the little 5" speaker blows, yada yada. Seems just fine for practicing to me.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW the Katana is no AX8 or Kemper, but I don't really NEED those anymore. =Besides, if I don;t bond with the Les Paul, I can trade it for an AxeFXII! LOL!

JerEvil":34m44wfq said:
Mailman1971":34m44wfq said:
Yeah I am stoked. After hearing some more clips from a few dudes who's ears I trust AND hearing a vid of the built in speaker, it REALLY is a no-brainer. I kept hearing people say the little 5" speaker blows, yada yada. Seems just fine for practicing to me.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW the Katana is no AX8 or Kemper, but I don't really NEED those anymore. =Besides, if I don;t bond with the Les Paul, I can trade it for an AxeFXII! LOL!

Cool so you ordered the head?

I kind of want one from all the hype, I bet they are pretty awesome.

maddnotez":ujnz3xkm said:
JerEvil":ujnz3xkm said:
Mailman1971":ujnz3xkm said:

Yeah I went with the head. The little speaker inside will be great for lunch time practicing in the office. Also, it has MIDI so I can incorporate other pedals if I need or want to. I have a little 1x12 cab with Celestion K100 which has worked great with all my digital/modeling rigs so I will use that if I need a bigger speaker for reference.

JerEvil":1tjqrr1i said:
maddnotez":1tjqrr1i said:
JerEvil":1tjqrr1i said:
Mailman1971":1tjqrr1i said:

Yeah I went with the head. The little speaker inside will be great for lunch time practicing in the office. Also, it has MIDI so I can incorporate other pedals if I need or want to. I have a little 1x12 cab with Celestion K100 which has worked great with all my digital/modeling rigs so I will use that if I need a bigger speaker for reference.

Sweet, you know we'll be ready for the vid.

maddnotez":1967srqk said:
JerEvil":1967srqk said:
maddnotez":1967srqk said:
JerEvil":1967srqk said:
Mailman1971":1967srqk said:

Sweet, you know we'll be ready for the vid.
Heck yes! I am going to try and test if (as long as the AX8 is here when the Katana arrives) running the AX8 and Katana with same 3rd party IR's shows any night and day differences. I'll likely use the Katana Crunch channel and a Fractal Marshall type model. It'll just be amp and IR's. Maybe I will do a clean as well.

Played one at sweetwater, aint no tube amp but for what it IS, at this price point its pretty awesome.

Thinking about grabbing one today as they are back in stock.

Three years from now the used market will be FLOODED with these for $100 lmao.

FYI, I've played mine through an 800 cab with old 75s, a 1974 Marshall cab with GBs, a Rivera V30 4x12, and a Mesa 2x12 w/EVs. Sounds great through all of them.

moltenmetalburn":2v3q341d said:
Played one at sweetwater, aint no tube amp but for what it IS, at this price point its pretty awesome.

Oh man, I don;t expect it to compete at ALL with my Fryette's, Splawn's, Friedman's or Henning's! I DO expect it to sound good enough for practice late nights and basic grab and go jams and perhaps two church services a month.

JerEvil":16qjmtq4 said:
moltenmetalburn":16qjmtq4 said:

Oh man, I don;t expect it to compete at ALL with my Fryette's, Splawn's, Friedman's or Henning's! I DO expect it to sound good enough for practice late nights and basic grab and go jams and perhaps two church services a month.
It will. Was really impressed though not duped lol.

JerEvil":1w4hsf4l said:
moltenmetalburn":1w4hsf4l said:

Good. Keep your expectations low. It will surprise you that much more. With volume behind it, i would have no issues using nothing but this head.

No... not as good as the Friedman. Prefer it over my DSL though

atrox":3j9cmkut said:
JerEvil":3j9cmkut said:
moltenmetalburn":3j9cmkut said:

Good. Keep your expectations low. It will surprise you that much more. With volume behind it, i would have no issues using nothing but this head.

No... not as good as the Friedman. Prefer it over my DSL though

My expectations were pretty low going in. I had nowhere to go but up!

I don't typically play at low volume. This head works extremely well at higher volume. Just saying.

I cane in hopeful. But was expecting something like a line 6 but little better.
Boy was I wrong. This anp is a monster.
My only experience is the head going thru my 4x12. It sounds fucking massive.
Impressed for sure. :yes:

danyeo":2mhbhku8 said:
I hope it sounds better than this. Here's an awesome player playing it but it sounds like a pile of digital junk.

You should try one Dan. I think it'll surprise you. I went into it with low expectations and it blew my mind. I got my head a few months back for $275 and it's all I've been messing with. I took the first month just playing with the amp tones before diving into the effects. It doesn't promise too much like most modeling amps, but it delivers the good for the kinda player that wants to get things dialed in quick while sounding good.

This is one of the many reasons I sent
Back the AxeFx2 I had just ordered
This month.. a simple
Plug and and play low
Volume
Option with the capabilities to go
Direct if I so desired into whatever.. the little speaker
Is what's got
Me
Sold! Just for
Bedroom
Jamming..

ob1clyde":qdf6qeg3 said:
This is one of the many reasons I sent
Back the AxeFx2 I had just ordered
This month.. a simple
Plug and and play low
Volume
Option with the capabilities to go
Direct if I so desired into whatever.. the little speaker
Is what's got
Me
Sold! Just for
Bedroom
Jamming..
Yeah man. Right there with you. TRYING to stick with balancing my need vs want. After hearing some killer recordings of it, It was a no-brainer.

Here are some a bud of mine did:

demo is 5 parts which are the main tones he uses:
1-Pushed clean
2- same with tremolo
3-modern clean with chorus
4- crunch ( actually the lead channel - various levels using the guitar volume knob)
5-lead (lead channel with boost and delay)

https://app.box.com/s/7v3o6qoassvwb361zm4q14na0velqcm1

Then some pick dynamics showing how the gain can be scaled back or opened up depending on pick attack

https://app.box.com/s/r1yk0473o6xxp2op16pyr97542dq4rpr

Back