NGB Day

SavageRiffer

Banned
Almost finished with my 16th Warmoth strat. I finished the body with boiled Linseed oil and buffed with Meguiar's car wax. The neck is so beautiful, but the pics don't do it much justice. It's a real nice dark red with a copper sheen; very unique looking Padauk.

Mahogany + Flame Maple
Padauk + Rosewood
Tesla Opus-1 neck/bridge pickups
Wilkinson VS100 tremolo
Gotoh Magnum locking tuners
Electronics: Sozo .047 capacitor, CTS pots, Carling 2-way switch

The mint pickguard will eventually be replaced with a white or parchment pickguard.

20170224_002359_zpsfv7v7pko.jpg

20170224_002527_zpstta0ufss.jpg

20170224_002457_zpsgzyding1.jpg

20170224_002854_zpsrjitaidu.jpg

20170224_002841_zpsqmfpe7nx.jpg

20170224_002734_zps40lhweq6.jpg

20170224_002653_zpsc95xzduf.jpg

20170224_002706_zps0ydtnj8g.jpg

mooncobra":1xp3u8ao said:
bitchin man! lets see pics of the other guitars you made! how does it sound?

Sounds killer. I've had Mahogany Fender strats before, but none ever sounded like this. The maple cap makes a difference, but everything together makes it sound incredible. The neck pocket is tight and the wood is so resonant, but the body only weighs 4 lb 6 oz. The Padauk neck with Rosewood board has a perfect combination of snap and warmth to match the Mahogany. This body seems to have a real nice upper mid snarl and not too stuffy on the low mids like some Mahogany guitars. The pickups are outstanding. It's a damned shame they don't make these anymore.

Tesla says the Opus-1 are "better than handwound." Well, handwound is a debatable topic, but I have never tried a so-called budget pickup anywhere near this good. I want to buy a few sets more just to keep around. The neck is thin, but it's a very comfortable hardwood. It's not waxy like Goncalo Alves (my favorite). It's kind of like Wenge in a way. Just a super nice neck.

Here are 13 or 14 more I built at this link:

http://www.sparkguitars.com

Gorgeous guitar! I've never heard of padauk, what kind of wood is it? Soft/hard? Is it closer to maple or mahogany, or something in the middle?

VH4_BigRig":1fdebetc said:
Gorgeous guitar! I've never heard of padauk, what kind of wood is it? Soft/hard? Is it closer to maple or mahogany, or something in the middle?

It's a hardwood. It does't require a finish like Maple of Mahogany. It's kind of like Wenge, but Wenge has kind of a threaded appearance and Padauk has kind of a porous appearance. It's very smooth, but harder than maple, so stainless steel frets might add a tinge of brightness. I'd say Padauk is sounds closer to Ebony bit a bit flatter EQ. It's a very comfortable wood in your hands, and doesn't get slippery when your hands sweat. I prefer the gold frets to the stainless steel with Padauk, but I wanted a little more sizzle since Mahogany tends to be a bit lower mid oriented and darker than Alder.

Beautiful! I've only built one Warmoth and one USA Custom and love them both. I wasn't as adventurous as you with the woods, just went with standards except Pau Ferro on one fretboard. I really want to build a Tele next.

SpiderWars":1763j1im said:
Beautiful! I've only built one Warmoth and one USA Custom and love them both. I wasn't as adventurous as you with the woods, just went with standards except Pau Ferro on one fretboard. I really want to build a Tele next.

Man I love Pao Ferro. I have two with Pao Ferro and my next project will be Wenge with a Pao Ferro fretboard. This Mahogany body is so damned good that I'm going to start using it from now on. If you undertake a Tele project, then I highly recommend considering a mahogany body.

stratjacket":1f0hhihn said:
Love that finish with the gold hardware, congrats !!

I used red food coloring for the initial cherry stain, then sanded it almost all off, then used yellow dye to give it an amber look. That's why there's kind of a cherry color mixed in. I'm a sucker for gold hardware. Thanks for checking it out and the compliment.

Back