(Mesa) amps similar to Mesa Caliber 50+ ?

zerotolerance

Are there any other similar amps to Mesa Caliber 50+? Mesa Cal50+ is hard to find where I live so I'm looking for some alternatives. If this helps, I want some kind of Corrosion of Conformity (Deliverance) tone and I don't want Dual Recto.

sutepaj":2npjgyzp said:
DC-5 is a pretty similar amp, and a Mark III would be close.
This. Could get a Mesa Studio/Quad preamp too, if that's any easier to find. Need a power amp obviously, but if that's a possibility it will do the job.

I also say the DC-5 with the graphic EQ. I have the wide-body combo and pair it with a wide-body Mesa 1x12 ext cab..so basically 2x12 in vertical set up. I bought mine on eBay for like $550...great and versatile 50w 6L6 amp

Shawn Lutz":37dq5o09 said:
I also say the DC-5 with the graphic EQ. I have the wide-body combo and pair it with a wide-body Mesa 1x12 ext cab..so basically 2x12 in vertical set up. I bought mine on eBay for like $550...great and versatile 50w 6L6 amp
Loud as piss, too! A guitar buddy of mine has that head, and the MV taper is not the smoothest, but damn it sounds good...Boosted, even better (to me).

Fwiw I could get about the same tone with a vht deliverance and a Caroline Olympia fuzz pedal, albeit a little tighter. Def a fuzz in that album.

sutepaj":222ka3ql said:
DC-5 is a pretty similar amp, and a Mark III would be close.
It was my impression that the DC-5 brings more girth in the drive channel than a Caliber 50+ could. And judging from the clips I've checked out, my impression was that the Caliber would be the tonal weaker of the two.

Even though I love my Mark V:25 (and it's by far the most played amp in my collection currently), I'm still lightly GASsing for a DC-5 head as well.

In the same vein and maybe not as hard to find is what some call the mesa Stealth amp series.. The F-series. I own an F50 and it is my longest stabled amp. I bought it based on the fact that it was derived from the caliber/dc series with some improved modifications.. they are worth a look.

I agree. The F series is in a similar ballpark tonally, a bit easier to find, and usually very affordably priced.

Back