This makes me want a D-Moll very badly!

mhenson42":1983e6n8 said:
Wizard of Ozz":1983e6n8 said:
slyym":1983e6n8 said:
Wizard of Ozz":1983e6n8 said:
He's boosting the amp with an od pedal. Not the most accurate representation of the pure sound from the DMoll.
Doesn't everyone boost these days? Everyone with a Recto does.

No... they don't.

Some people prefer tight, cutting, articulate rhythm tones without a boost. Just by plugging straight in. What a concept huh?

Those people buy Wizards and Fryettes :thumbsup:

Indeed.

Why buy an amp if you need an or pedal, special pickups, special speakers etc just to correct the shortcoming of the amp... or to get a tone you like. Makes zero sense to me.

mhenson42":39le6od7 said:
Wizard of Ozz":39le6od7 said:
K-Roll":39le6od7 said:
but that's why you use OD pedals - to get rid of flub and fizz.. cause you usually put your gain to lower settings and kick the front. :confused:

btw.. the reason why it sounds good is that cab and probably the guitar/player cause a friend of mine has a D Moll and it does not sound anywhere near as good as here.

Don't bet on the cab... I've also owned the Mills AB... and its has a sloppy lowend and boomy bass... like a Mesa OS Recto 4X12 on crack. One of my least favorite 4X12s eva. It's a super-heavy weight, giant sized cab with oversized interior dimensions.

It's the high output pickups and od pedal together... like driving the front-end on a Mesa Rectifier.

It is definitely a battleship anchor. You need the proper speakers in the Mills....Scumback H55/H75 sound amazing in this cab - no flub or boomy bass. Though these days, I don't use my Mills much. I'm using standard sized cabs with J75s/v30s (and I just got a fane loaded FB cab) and they are amazingly tight.

Ship anchor is an understatement. The thing is huge and heavy. It sounded dead to me. Like building a 4X12 out of bricks. I'll take almost any standard size 4X12 over it.

maddnotez":4mywe9va said:
You are out of your mind lol.

I have both cabs side by side and have the complete opposite results. Same speakers (V30), same guitar and the same amp.

Weird how you say that but I guess different experience for everyone.

Back at ya slick. If you like it, keep it.

Since they sound so awesome, that is probably why Mills Acoustics went out of business and why the cabs are so hard to sell on the used market. Even the 2X12 people do not want.

Just sayin...

mhenson42":1gwm2h94 said:
I used to love Diezels, had a Herbert for many years and nostalgia keeps giving me gas for them. lol But in the end, they are just too smooth/processed, dark and compressed for my current tastes and, though it sounds really good in this clip, I can definitely hear that going on in this clip.

Just realized its Eric in the clip. I think he was using J75s/V30s in his Mills cabs. EDIT - says it in the notes :LOL: :LOL:

Definitely agree with you on the dark and compressed part. I've owned several, and was real close to buying another recently, but that's what keeps turning me off.

PS: Yep... that's Eric in the clip... and most all of his clips sound great... so factor that in as well.

Wizard of Ozz":1ay71psw said:
maddnotez":1ay71psw said:
You are out of your mind lol.

I have both cabs side by side and have the complete opposite results. Same speakers (V30), same guitar and the same amp.

Weird how you say that but I guess different experience for everyone.

Back at ya slick. If you like it, keep it.

Since they sound so awesome, that is probably why Mills Acoustics went out of business and why the cabs are so hard to sell on the used market. Even the 2X12 people do not want.

Just sayin...

For Metal, it's the best cab I've tried. I haven't tried them all but I have played many. VHT, Orange, Mesa, Marshall, Peavey, Avatar, I can't see anything else replacing them. Maybe for other genres they might sound like crap but I've never heard anything bad out of them with high gain and brutal tone.

Mills went out of business because only selling boutique, over-sized cabs during a recession isn't gonna generate enough revenue to pay the bills. Not because they sound bad.

mhenson42":3cja9ekj said:
Wizard of Ozz":3cja9ekj said:
slyym":3cja9ekj said:
Wizard of Ozz":3cja9ekj said:
He's boosting the amp with an od pedal. Not the most accurate representation of the pure sound from the DMoll.

No... they don't.

Some people prefer tight, cutting, articulate rhythm tones without a boost. Just by plugging straight in. What a concept huh?

Those people buy Wizards and Fryettes :thumbsup:
Damn right we do!!!

LOL!

mhenson42":1gy8ci7h said:
Mills went out of business because only selling boutique, over-sized cabs during a recession isn't gonna generate enough revenue to pay the bills. Not because they sound bad.

I saw it as a combo of lacking business acumen and shitty sounding products. He also was bad about delivering product orders on time as well. Nothing really surprising.

Wizard of Ozz":147wzxx0 said:
mhenson42":147wzxx0 said:

I saw it as a combo of lacking business acumen and shitty sounding products. He also was bad about delivering product orders on time as well. Nothing really surprising.

I think delivering on time was a function of cash flow. Fulfilling orders becomes dependent upon signing up new victims/customers. At some point the bottom drops out - as what happened when the gear market tumbled. It's the typical circling of the drain most of these small builders go through as they flame out.

mhenson42":3qknkwsf said:
Wizard of Ozz":3qknkwsf said:
mhenson42":3qknkwsf said:

I think delivering on time was a function of cash flow. Fulfilling orders becomes dependent upon signing up new victims/customers. At some point the bottom drops out - as what happened when the gear market tumbled. It's the typical circling of the drain most of these small builders go through as they flame out.

True. An all too familiar tale. :yes:

I own a Mills Afterburner loaded with 4 Celestion G12-H75 Creambacks. I like the cab. It disperses the sound nicely. It's not "Beamy" like some of my other cabs can be. I don't boost and I don't feel like it's boomy in the bottom end or flubby. I think it sounds killer with my Paul. :rock:

Maybe the one Mr. Wizard tried had been under water at one point in it's life? :dunno: :LOL: :LOL:

All I know is I do like mine. Maybe that one was a dud. I have had 4 Mode 4 cabs and not one of them sounded the same.

Gsxrbusa":37fl25k0 said:
Maybe the one Mr. Wizard tried had been under water at one point in it's life? :dunno: :LOL: :LOL:

All I know is I do like mine. Maybe that one was a dud. I have had 4 Mode 4 cabs and not one of them sounded the same.

I wish. I bought it brand-new from David Mills. It sucked.

:bleh:

Diezel v30 Fl cab is probably my fave cab! All my amps sound great through it.... and yeah that DMoll clip sounds nice!

I've got a Mills 4x12 with V30/G75 X pattern and it absolutely kills. Tight, and doesn't get boomy no matter how much bass you throw at it. It sounds huge and it projects like a mofo. :thumbsup:

Wizard of Ozz":168v3zzr said:
mhenson42":168v3zzr said:
Wizard of Ozz":168v3zzr said:
K-Roll":168v3zzr said:
but that's why you use OD pedals - to get rid of flub and fizz.. cause you usually put your gain to lower settings and kick the front. :confused:

btw.. the reason why it sounds good is that cab and probably the guitar/player cause a friend of mine has a D Moll and it does not sound anywhere near as good as here.

Don't bet on the cab... I've also owned the Mills AB... and its has a sloppy lowend and boomy bass... like a Mesa OS Recto 4X12 on crack. One of my least favorite 4X12s eva. It's a super-heavy weight, giant sized cab with oversized interior dimensions.

It's the high output pickups and od pedal together... like driving the front-end on a Mesa Rectifier.

It is definitely a battleship anchor. You need the proper speakers in the Mills....Scumback H55/H75 sound amazing in this cab - no flub or boomy bass. Though these days, I don't use my Mills much. I'm using standard sized cabs with J75s/v30s (and I just got a fane loaded FB cab) and they are amazingly tight.

Ship anchor is an understatement. The thing is huge and heavy. It sounded dead to me. Like building a 4X12 out of bricks. I'll take almost any standard size 4X12 over it.
I had a Mills 4X12. Best cab I ever heard when it was brand new but once it got broke in it sounded like flubby trash. I just sold it a month ago or so. This DMoll clip rules btw.

Wizard of Ozz":x8o72i42 said:
slyym":x8o72i42 said:
Wizard of Ozz":x8o72i42 said:

No... they don't.

Well it sure seems like it. At least on youtube everyone seems to use one. I've always liked an amp with no pedals except for maybe a delay in the loop. Only recently did I finally break down and try an overdrive.

-this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like a MILLS cab,.... Then again I've never heard a "boomy" cab, this is coming from someone who had a 8x12 cab, besides the SUNN 6X12-(inverted v)-infinite baffle cab, it was by far my favorite cab of all time, and in the top five are a Marshall 8x10, Ampeg V4, Mesa Recto,.. FUCK!!! I'm boomy!!

sg guy":31p60kuz said:
-this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like a MILLS cab,.... Then again I've never heard a "boomy" cab, this is coming from someone who had a 8x12 cab, besides the SUNN 6X12-(inverted v)-infinite baffle cab, it was by far my favorite cab of all time, and in the top five are a Marshall 8x10, Ampeg V4, Mesa Recto,.. FUCK!!! I'm boomy!!

Well there are different Mesa cabs. The regular or traditional isn't boomy from what I've heard but the OS was for sure. But I would also say it depends on what amp you're pairing with it.

I guess the same could be said about the Mills but I use a Rev 2 uberschall and it has an incredible amount of low end. The Mills handles it very well, hard to imagine that cab being boomy with any amp but different experiences I guess.

Back