This makes me want a D-Moll very badly!

Sounds amazing. I think that's actually a plus to get that good sound with a pedal in front and not turning to mud or fizz.

but that's why you use OD pedals - to get rid of flub and fizz.. cause you usually put your gain to lower settings and kick the front. :confused:

btw.. the reason why it sounds good is that cab and probably the guitar/player cause a friend of mine has a D Moll and it does not sound anywhere near as good as here.

+1 on the comments above.

That video spiked my GAS for the D-Moll a while ago and when I finally got to play one in real life (given that my fav. high gain tones are TIGHT...Mesa Mark, Engl, EVH/5150), I found channel 3 to have too much low-mid mud and fuzzyness, that you couldn't dial out on the amp itself. :aww:
I drove for more than an hour to that D-Moll, had the money in my pocket, but I left without the amp.

I will say that the clean channel of the D-Moll is one of the best ever (saying that, while owning a '74 Fender SFPR, Mesa Mark V:25 and Engl Invader and having owned a Mesa Mark IV, Fender Twin Reverb '73 SF and multiple Jazz Chorusses... :salute: ) and it makes it especially special in such a complex and full featured high gain head. If you're still convinced your EVH 5150 III 50W has the best cleans ever, you've never experienced a D-Moll, Engl Invader/Morse sig or Mesa Mark IV/V's clean channel. Just sayin'...

I've been intrigued by the D Moll for a long time and almost bought one last year but ended up buying a VH4. Every time I see that video I start thinking of how I can put the cash together. Got some tax money coming so I just might pull the trigger.

Wizard of Ozz":ch4ithik said:
He's boosting the amp with an od pedal. Not the most accurate representation of the pure sound from the DMoll.
Doesn't everyone boost these days? Everyone with a Recto does.

slyym":2yixfxpt said:
Wizard of Ozz":2yixfxpt said:
He's boosting the amp with an od pedal. Not the most accurate representation of the pure sound from the DMoll.

No... they don't.

Some people prefer tight, cutting, articulate rhythm tones without a boost. Just by plugging straight in. What a concept huh?

K-Roll":3inbfx1d said:
but that's why you use OD pedals - to get rid of flub and fizz.. cause you usually put your gain to lower settings and kick the front. :confused:

btw.. the reason why it sounds good is that cab and probably the guitar/player cause a friend of mine has a D Moll and it does not sound anywhere near as good as here.

Don't bet on the cab... I've also owned the Mills AB... and its has a sloppy lowend and boomy bass... like a Mesa OS Recto 4X12 on crack. One of my least favorite 4X12s eva. It's a super-heavy weight, giant sized cab with oversized interior dimensions.

It's the high output pickups and od pedal together... like driving the front-end on a Mesa Rectifier.

He is using a Mesa flux drive in front of the D-moll. That pedal is a sort of a preamp. In you want that tone, you will have to get both.

DMoll doesn't disappoint whether or not you use an OD to flavor the sound or not. Great amp - and the clip is a buddy of mine, killer riffs + great tone.

UberschallEL34":2k28og0o said:
DMoll doesn't disappoint whether or not you use an OD to flavor the sound or not. Great amp - and the clip is a buddy of mine, killer riffs + great tone.

+1
Yeah, you really have to let you ears adjust to diezels sound. It isn't like a Marshall. Much more modern, but it took me a while to really get the diezel soundscape. I almost sold my dmoll many times. And very very glad I haven't, it inspires me to play, and sounds crushing and tight

Wizard of Ozz":1mbup87x said:
Some people prefer tight, cutting, articulate rhythm tones without a boost. Just by plugging straight in. What a concept huh?
*Raises hand confidently.* :rock:

EVH, Engl, Mesa Mark series, VHT/Fryette, other Diezels (loved the Herbert when I played one). All can do without a pedal boosting it.

I hate flub, I hate fuzzyness, I hate lack of definition in tone. Otherwise I'd be playing stoner metal with Orange cabs. :LOL: :LOL:

Mind you, Channel 2 of the D-Moll is really versatile and good sounding. It's just that CH3 lacked the low-end tightness I want. It has punch, sure, but it's fuzzy.

I figured out if I run the mid cut about noon and then crank the preamp mid knob to about 3:00 it seems to tighten the bass a lot. Plus with a good OD if it aint tight enough for you, idk.

I use a Maxon OD808 with good results and my Fortin Grind will make it laser tight.

I don't mind using OD's. If an amp is laser tight to begin with there are some tones you wont be able to get sound fat and juicy enough, imo. Better to use an OD and have more tonal options.

Wizard of Ozz":7w2agfp4 said:
slyym":7w2agfp4 said:
Wizard of Ozz":7w2agfp4 said:

No... they don't.

Those people buy Wizards and Fryettes :thumbsup:

Wizard of Ozz":1xevy278 said:
K-Roll":1xevy278 said:

Don't bet on the cab... I've also owned the Mills AB... and its has a sloppy lowend and boomy bass... like a Mesa OS Recto 4X12 on crack. One of my least favorite 4X12s eva. It's a super-heavy weight, giant sized cab with oversized interior dimensions.

It's the high output pickups and od pedal together... like driving the front-end on a Mesa Rectifier.

It is definitely a battleship anchor. You need the proper speakers in the Mills....Scumback H55/H75 sound amazing in this cab - no flub or boomy bass. Though these days, I don't use my Mills much. I'm using standard sized cabs with J75s/v30s (and I just got a fane loaded FB cab) and they are amazingly tight.

I used to love Diezels, had a Herbert for many years and nostalgia keeps giving me gas for them. lol But in the end, they are just too smooth/processed, dark and compressed for my current tastes and, though it sounds really good in this clip, I can definitely hear that going on in this clip.

Just realized its Eric in the clip. I think he was using J75s/V30s in his Mills cabs. EDIT - says it in the notes :LOL: :LOL:

Wizard of Ozz":yps8r77l said:
K-Roll":yps8r77l said:

You are out of your mind lol.

I have both cabs side by side and have the complete opposite results. Same speakers (V30), same guitar and the same amp.

The OS Mesa is boomy as hell even with the bass at 0. The Mills is tight AF, even with the bass up on my already bassy Uberschall.

Weird how you say that but I guess different experience for everyone. I am of the everything plays a factor in tone especially the cab.

The Mills was so tight and crushing I went and got the 2x12 as well. I put V12 Legend in that and wow those speakers sound great with my setup. Considering selling the V30 in my 412 to buy more Legends but that's getting off topic.

I always use a boost in front (even with the 100CL I had) but I'm aware there are some amps that won't need one but that's preference too. I know guys who say the Rev 2 don't need one but I disagree.

Either way whatever this guy did, he is using that specific amp and getting that tone. The pedals, guitar, speakers and Cab all play a factor IMO.

mhenson42":5itezc72 said:
Wizard of Ozz":5itezc72 said:
K-Roll":5itezc72 said:

It is definitely a battleship anchor. You need the proper speakers in the Mills....Scumback H55/H75 sound amazing in this cab - no flub or boomy bass. Though these days, I don't use my Mills much. I'm using standard sized cabs with J75s/v30s (and I just got a fane loaded FB cab) and they are amazingly tight.

Since we're on Mills. It is a Monster. Very big and heavy at 116 pounds and it's probably not for everyone but man it's amazing and imo is different than other OS cabs with the internal baffle that it has.

I'm looking to start testing speakers in the future because I tried the Legends and was impressed. The Mills still sounds great to me with the V30. I get no flub and no boom but I've realized how scooped they are and just prefer the Legends.

Interested in Scumback and also those Fanes. The thing is IMO those VHT cabs (I had the D412) are super tight to begin with. Very tight but too "beamy" or one directional for me. That's why I love the Mills so much. It's tight for me but also 3D and fills the room. Wondering how it will sound with other speakers.

Fane, Scumback, Creamback 75 and EVM are all on the Radar. I know I can always fall back on the V30 or Legends and be fine.

Back