Need a versatile TS / Boost, what am I looking for.

timeroo

So I am looking at adding a boost into my signal but here's the catch. I want something that on one hand can help me get that Brad Paisley power twang out of my telecasters but also something that can help me add that Ola Englund type mid/crunch to an already high gain tone. I have realized that looking for such a pedal or really even researching the boost pedal market is exhausting. I figured why not ask the experts since I know there's guys in here that have tried every pedal known to man. So far the way huge green rhino seems like it could do the job or perhaps the MXR il torino or the Wampler paisley drive.

Although I think there may be a few ways to accomplish it, I think to get that power twang out of a telecaster, a good compressor comes to mind.
Here is an example.

dozens of pedals could do this, not sure there's one right answer. Replicating Brad's tone and then Ola's on the same rig is going to be tough but any decent TS clone would seem to do the trick as far as what you're trying to do for boost. Or the Timmy or even maybe the Xotic AC or RC boost? I love my Maxon 808 and I use it all the time for country stuff with tele's and strat's into a DRRI stacked with an Xotic BB+. If I'm going for super clean, all the gain pedals are off. Classic rock\modern country stuff from the BB+, country stuff with just a little grit and hair gets the 808 by itself, and then for big solo stuff or if I just want the liquidy sustain, bump the BB+ with the 808.

VFE The Scream is a very tweak able TS variant. But these types of things are soooo player/rig dependant. Sometimes just the slightest difference makes one pedal a keeper and one not so much.

timeroo":3tqvm9sy said:
So I am looking at adding a boost into my signal but here's the catch. I want something that on one hand can help me get that Brad Paisley power twang out of my telecasters but also something that can help me add that Ola Englund type mid/crunch to an already high gain tone. I have realized that looking for such a pedal or really even researching the boost pedal market is exhausting. I figured why not ask the experts since I know there's guys in here that have tried every pedal known to man. So far the way huge green rhino seems like it could do the job or perhaps the MXR il torino or the Wampler paisley drive.

The current Green Rhino works really good , TS type pedal has a lot of eq options . Seymour Duncan 805 works really good also , it`s really quiet when engaged and doesn't add a whole of of compression. Between those I`d pick the Green Rhino as it has more of the TS vibe even though I`d love to sell you my 805 :D

boyedav":e6mjmepf said:
TC Nova Drive. It gives you a clone of a TS and a clone of a Rat in one pedal, fully programmable, stackable, and all analog signal.

Something like this IMO for sure.

It sounds like you want two different things in a single pedal. Sure, maybe a regular boost can do that if you stop and tweak but you may not want to have to twist knobs every time you want the change so I suggest a pedal that can do both with the press of a switch.

I personally use a Suhr Koko boost. Not sure if that will suit you but for metal and for my rig the mid boost side is KILLER. The clean boost side I did not really like though so I only use one side. The other negative about that pedal is that it is not stackable.

Another pedal that comes to mind is Tech 21 Boost/OD. Same thing, has 2 buttons. One side is boost the other side is OD. That one is stackable but the tones didn't suit me.

There are other pedals but my recommendation is to get one that can do both without having to twist knobs all day.

TC Nova, Fulltone Fulldrive, Koko Boost, Tech 21 Boost/OD, Pomeroy Boost, JHS Ruby, etc. etc.

There are lots of them so you will just have to start testing them to see which you like best IMO.

SpiderWars":e6mjmepf said:
these types of things are soooo player/rig dependant. Sometimes just the slightest difference makes one pedal a keeper and one not so much.

Facts ^^

Anyone here try the Amp tweaker Tight drive pro? I have been looking at it to boost an already high gain channel? Looks like a beast of a pedal...

timeroo":xzj0gh9d said:
Looking up Klon clones could take a year. What's the best centaur clone for the buck?

Archer Ikon is the best one I've tried. The Wampler Tumnus is also pretty good, with a slight bit more mids. Neither one of these sound like a tube screamer though. Just the sound of your amp with a big kick in the ass. Note that both these pedals are NOT true bypass and leave the buffer on all the time, just like a real Klon.

The most versatile tube screamer variant I've tried is the is the KHDK Ghoul screamer. It's a tube screamer with eq options like the Green Rhino, but you can also control the compression with the 2 compress switches. Very cool pedal. And of all the TS type pedals I've tried, I think it's the best sounding one if you're plugged into a clean Fender style amp.

I am not trying to get two very different tones out of the same entire rig, I would be using a 5153 for metal and a vox for country, the pedal itself would just be used to tighten things up on both ends of the spectrum. I am leaning towards the green rhino, paisley drive and a few others but there's a few I would love to find. The VFE ice scream would be really cool to try but it's discontinued. A timmy is a bit out of my price range though I see there's a Caline clone that I have heard is pretty close. The protone deadhorse could probably do the country thing, I actually think the savage drive could as well but I can't be sure. I am wondering if anyone in here has tried the Paisley drive for metal boost purposes. If anyone has or could do so for an experiment, please let me know.

Any experience with any of these Joyo pedals? Are they legit or complete junk? I have read a lot of people praising these clones but you never know.

I like the Seymour Duncan 805. The 3-band EQ makes it very versatile and the ability to run it with either 9V or 18V gives you a bit a different feel (more headroom at 18V).

So after watching days of demos, I decided on one that I found to be pretty awesome over a bunch of demos. I grabbed an MXR badass custom OD. I think I will save up for something pricier like a greenhouse double edged or a Fortin Grind but for now I think this one covers my bases. Keep the suggestions coming fellas. I am thinking I would like to also replace my compression pedal so that will also be on the list.

Back