Friedman BE-100

Ya know, I thought I was crazy when I saw how many people run their bass on the BE100 all the way up or near it....even the big names doing that....I run mine that way and it kicks ass. Crank that bass.

My settings(I don't give a fuck, it sounds good this way:)

Bass near maxed
mids a little above where the number 3 would be on the control
treble a little above 6
presence a little above 6

turn on that voice switch
turn on that C45 switch

crank that gain(fuck it)

Sounds great! You'll be amazed on how your perception of how much gain this amp has with how you tweak the eq controls, more than enough gain.

-what's ya using for a cab & speaker's?

-its based off the Marshall platform, it needs something in the greenback family, the V-30's take care of the low end and tightness.

Purpleibby":1tnlmx64 said:
Scumback m75s in a suhr/caa 4x12

-65 watter's ?
-I had the "M/H" pairing in a 4x12, nice speaker's, I think the 25 w greenback's & V-30's are a better fit for the BE thou. Rock that bitch!!

Just to throw an opposing view out there, i despised the V30's in the Friedman cab. I mean, the cab sounded good live until i isolated the speakers when recording. Oh god, i couldn't rip the v30's out fast enough.

I replaced them with H75's and they seem to work a lot better for me.

I'm not a fan of the V30s, but they do help the stock clean tone. Greenbacks/Creambacks/Scumbacks (especially the m-magnets) work much better for the distorted sounds.

RedPlated":1hpbjdjw said:
theminijimmy":1hpbjdjw said:
Did Dave add the Depth Knob?

Yes he did.

I've used lots of speakers with my BE. For me, all v30's is by far the best combination.

Very curious about the depth mod, I'd like to try that one for sure! How much of a difference did it make for you? Where do you run in on the dial/control?

I've got one coming. Can't wait to compare it to my BE50. I had a Slax, but sold it; loved that amp and sound, but was against impending bills.

I too am curious how 'metal' (AIC, Tool, all Metallica eras) and 'punchy' it can get. I'm thinking with a boost and perhaps eq in the loop, it should do most of what I have in my BE50.

As many said in this thread, it may or may not, or does or doesn't, do certain types of metal, but I'm curious which generations we're talking about it here... Mine's a 2017.

If you want the bottom end to tighten up you'll benefit from the 0.0022uf cap added to the fixed depth circuit, ALA JJ, and Slax. If you send it to Dave for mods, ask for this. Put it on a switch, and you can go from chewy bottom end to tight.

CrazyNutz":2cmksvvo said:
If you want the bottom end to tighten up you'll benefit from the 0.0022uf cap added to the fixed depth circuit, ALA JJ, and Slax. If you send it to Dave for mods, ask for this. Put it on a switch, and you can go from chewy bottom end to tight.

I swapped the .0047 cap on the depth pot for a .0068 on mine. It's tighter that way for me. .0022 will let a lot more mids through which may muddy it up. I'm actually installing a 3 way frequency switch to the depth pot this week. It's the same setup Dave is using in the new BE-100 deluxe. I'll have .0022, .0047 and .0068 values on a switch. The .0068 gets the JJ depth frequencies.

CrazyN knows his stuff.

This is funny to me, though, as the way the amp is out of the box is SOOOOO tight. I wanted mine more toward the SmallBox feel.

RedPlated":14o2ujyj said:
CrazyNutz":14o2ujyj said:

I swapped the .0047 cap on the depth pot for a .0068 on mine. It's tighter that way for me. .0022 will let a lot more mids through which may muddy it up. I'm actually installing a 3 way frequency switch to the depth pot this week. It's the same setup Dave is using in the new BE-100 deluxe. I'll have .0022, .0047 and .0068 values on a switch. The .0068 gets the JJ depth frequencies.

Yup. That's what I mean, add a 0.0022uf in parallel with the existing 0.0047uf = 0.0067uf. I have a 2 way switch on my clone that I call "tight", that adds/parallels a .0022 with the .0047

Def check the powertubes, I would try a different set. I had a BE100 with original tubes and when I tested them there was one powertube that was way off from the other three. When I put a new matched set in of the same brand tubes the amp responded way better on the lowend , tighter and faster. NOW with that being said the BE100 is not a super tight modern metal type of amp. I had a JJ and that amp was tighter on the lows , I even had a Friedman Naked at one point and that amp could get very tight . i always use a boost though to tighten things up , you might want to boost your BE after you check the tubes.

Rdodson":2j4sewqz said:
CrazyN knows his stuff.

This is funny to me, though, as the way the amp is out of the box is SOOOOO tight. I wanted mine more toward the SmallBox feel.

Thanks!

Yes it is pretty tight. It also has a chewiness to it that I really like, however when you're trying fast/thrash metal stuff on the lower strings it can get little bouncy, and thats where that depth modification really helps a lot.

Yeah, let's see when i get it. I'd love to NOT have to send it to Dave for Mods, but just in case, hope he'll still do them after the DLX comes out.

I do like having separate volume and gain for the HBE.

I also would want the 3-way Voice switch (vs. 2) and this Depth Frequency/tightness switch sounds like it would be perfect.

Did the frequency switch mod. Wow. Very useful. Really changes the tone between .0022, .0047 and .0068 caps. I actually have a .0022 across the pot and then another .0022 and .0047 stacked in parallel on a switch. Dave hooked me up with the parts and info on it the other day. It’s the switch on far left. Had to drill a new hole in face plate and chassis. There aren’t any pre drilled 1/4” holes like the other side of the chassis.

To my surprise, I’m really liking the .0022 cap only setting. A lot more upper mids and clarity. The mids are not low enough to make it muddy. In fact the .0068 setting is the loosest. .0047 is probably the best all around setting, same as stock.

6wXwYvyl.jpg

VFUAwG9l.jpg

AromSqvl.jpg

RedPlated":1c9ixccw said:
Did the frequency switch mod. Wow. Very useful. Really changes the tone between .0022, .0047 and .0068 caps. I actually have a .0022 across the pot and then another .0022 and .0047 stacked in parallel on a switch. Dave hooked me up with the parts and info on it the other day. It’s the switch on far left. Had to drill a new hole in face plate and chassis. There aren’t any pre drilled 1/4” holes like the other side of the chassis.

To my surprise, I’m really liking the .0022 cap only setting. A lot more upper mids and clarity. The mids are not low enough to make it muddy. In fact the .0068 setting is the loosest. .0047 is probably the best all around setting, same as stock.

RzFfnRKl.jpg

ulap4CDl.jpg

ULgiodql.jpg

Awesome! So is the frequency switch on the far left effecting the tightness, bass, punch of the amp or is it more about mids and such?

Also, what switch is that under the Presence knob?

Yes, the frequency switch is awesome. Best mod I’ve done so far. This is the first mod I’ve done to this amp, Dave has done all the rest. He’s pretty busy so I figured I’d just get the parts and do it myself.

The .0022 setting has TONS more upper mid. Drastic. But good. I can get the old school kill em’ all type tone with it. .0047 drops a bunch of mids and adds some lows from .0022 setting. Really just super well-balanced. .0068 gets the chunk going. Fatter and lower bass. .0047 is best all-around setting. It’s extremely flexible having all 3 settings. I like putting the gain structure on lowest gain and going to .0022 cap. Great old school rock tones.

I also use a lot of pedals on the clean channel. The switch greatly affects the way they sound as well. I seriously love it.

The other switch in pic is a high/low voltage switch like the Phil X amp. Lessens the compression with higher gain. This amp kills.

Back