World Exclusive! LOL! Diezel VH4 Pedal / Katana Head demo!

JerEvil

Aright y'all, took long like it always does but here is the Katana and VH4 OD/Preamp pedal that our friend Tom (gsxbxr ?) sent around on another forum. And yes... the WORLD EXCLUSIVE thing is meant to be cheeky...

Signal Chain:
• Les Paul (Balaguer Evergreen humbuckers)
• VH4
• Boss Katana 100 (set clean)
• Two Notes Torpedo Studio
• SinMix Mesa 140w IR, OwnHammer ALN Blue IR (Stereo)

I personally am quite surprised at how well the Katana took the VH4 pedal. I am not sure how close the pedal comes to copping the actual VH4 sound and in comparison, this demo could be garbage BUT... at about the 5:45 mark, I got a tone I REALLY loved and would happily use live.

Is it $300 good? Not sure, you need to try one for yourself but I really enjoyed it while I had it. I certainly prefer the gain at Noon or below.

I DEFINITELY would love for Diezel to send me the newer version to compare...

Also, I guarantee this is the ONLY Diezel VH4, Boss Katana demo on the interwebz! LOL!

jsp":l9jgjwd9 said:
That sounds great.
Thanks man! I am really impressed with how well this "throw away" little SS amp took the Diezel. I have another vid coming of some OD's from One Control I did using the Katana. GREAT pedal platform if I'm honest.

Man that did sound good!

I had the VH4 Pedal. Ran it thru my Mesa clean channel and just didn't gel with it. Sounds really good thru the Katana though.

Mailman1971":2me0o3an said:
Man that did sound good!

I had the VH4 Pedal. Ran it thru my Mesa clean channel and just didn't gel with it. Sounds really good thru the Katana though.
Thanks man. It can definitely get hairy for my liking past Noon on the gain but once I brightened up the settings, I was pretty impressed. Would really like to demo the newer version but I am likely not even a blip on the Diezel radar... yet!

Kapo_Polenton":2me0o3an said:
Sounds good! Now try it with my shitty IR and see if it stays good :gethim:
Fuuuuu!!! I will man. Promise! Thanks for checking it out.

To me, it sounds like other Diesel clips I have heard. Have never been into that sound. Lots of lower mids, and no upper mid crunch. Just kind of lower mid smooth. So, was not a huge fan of the sound, but the clip reminds me of other Diesel clips I have heard, so that is a positive, lol. :LOL: :LOL:

Tone Zone":19kruug8 said:
I'm sorry, but THAT did not sound good to me. :no:

It sounded good knowing it was going through solid state but yes, if you compare it to tubes, it will sound a tad fizzier. I think because of the transistor nature of the pedal, it obviously would sound better going through a loop and into the power amp of a tube amp. That said, none will sound as good as a real Diezel but I have heard the pedal get pretty close in some of the demos on youtube!

Shask":w5tpiat1 said:
To me, it sounds like other Diesel clips I have heard. Have never been into that sound. Lots of lower mids, and no upper mid crunch. Just kind of lower mid smooth. So, was not a huge fan of the sound, but the clip reminds me of other Diesel clips I have heard, so that is a positive, lol. :LOL: :LOL:
I'll take what I can get! LOL! It is definitely different to the types of sounds I am used to for sure. Like I said, once I got it dialed in at about that 5:45 mark I really dug it.

Kapo_Polenton":w5tpiat1 said:
Tone Zone":w5tpiat1 said:
I'm sorry, but THAT did not sound good to me. :no:

It sounded good knowing it was going through solid state but yes, if you compare it to tubes, it will sound a tad fizzier. I think because of the transistor nature of the pedal, it obviously would sound better going through a loop and into the power amp of a tube amp. That said, none will sound as good as a real Diezel but I have heard the pedal get pretty close in some of the demos on youtube!
Yeah man, that was kind of the purpose of this exercise. If it sounded even "usable" through the Katana then that is a testament to what sounds can be coaxed out of it. I ALMOST added the additional tube power amp modeling of the Two Notes but opted to not as that would really color what was being heard in the demo. This is kind of what I did with the BE-OD as well. Used a budget ass amp to see how good the pedal could sound.

The fact that it was mentioned that this sounded similar to other ACTUAL Diezel amp clips I think is a win for the pedal. I have no experience with any Diezel other than the Einstein so it's new territory for me.

JerEvil":h85rauy2 said:
I'll take what I can get! LOL! It is definitely different to the types of sounds I am used to for sure. Like I said, once I got it dialed in at about that 5:45 mark I really dug it.

I wonder if you could dial in the Katana to sound like the pedal.......

I am finding I can almost make it sound like about anything using a drive->amp->ParaEQ chain.

calvin sattler":1giujt8x said:
for what the signal chain is, sounded good to me
Thanks! Much like my BE-OD into the Quilter 101 vid, it must be remembered that this AIN'T a VH4! I have been checking out some VH4 demos though and honestly, this pedal definitely has all the characteristics of the amp for sure. I definitely did not capture a ton of low-end thump like the actual amp puts out but it certainly is akin to what I am hearing in comparison.

Thanks for checking it out.

Shask":1giujt8x said:
JerEvil":1giujt8x said:

I wonder if you could dial in the Katana to sound like the pedal.......

I am finding I can almost make it sound like about anything using a drive->amp->ParaEQ chain.
You know, I bet you could get close on the brown channel with the PARA. Unfortunately the pedal is off to the next guy on the tour box or I'd give it a go

Thanks for the post. Cool sounds, great chops! Definitely a heavy tone. The mids are very different and actually very good for having another sound in the Arsenal. I like how you did this with the Katana, ss.platform as it seems to give a good representation of the sound of the pedal. With a big tube power section your kind of getting right where you'd be with a diezel head so to speak. Not to get slammed for saying it's the same as I don't see it would be by any stretch.I hear the guts of the Kitana in this demo as to be expected. It's very cool how big amps have signature sounds that come from the power section somewhat. I never thought of it that way, always chasing the gain greed of the pre-amp,lol Cool pedal regardless. A Dr Z, a diezel, be-od and you have a nasty rig for great cleans ,blues, 80s, modern metal..Thanks again! Great stuff!!!

Back