Best distortion/od in front of a Marshall??

mchn13

As usual, I have way too much gear, and barely play once a week anymore. Seriously thinking about ditching my triple rec/esp/extra cabs, and using a vh4/be-od pedal and a pedal board for my metal rig. Anyone having luck with, or have a suggestion for a high gain pedal that will work in front of a clean jcm800? I really don't want to mod my 800 for an effects loop.
The 30v overdrive I saw in another thread sounds pretty badass as well. ..

The BE OD is hard to beat in front of a clean Marshall. I was doing this with my DSL and the results were extremely satisfying to say the least.

mchn13":44zn5cpw said:
As usual, I have way too much gear, and barely play once a week anymore. Seriously thinking about ditching my triple rec/esp/extra cabs, and using a vh4/be-od pedal and a pedal board for my metal rig. Anyone having luck with, or have a suggestion for a high gain pedal that will work in front of a clean jcm800? I really don't want to mod my 800 for an effects loop.
The 30v overdrive I saw in another thread sounds pretty badass as well. ..
So are you running into the low input? If not, and you max the preamp gain many to choose from. I'm sure you have had a lot, but I like a Cusack Screamer, OD1X, OCD, Maxon 808..and also an eq pedal after with a mid bump.

But the Airis Savage Drive has me interested ATM. It seems it had more of a metal ability than the aforementioned pedals.

SDMF38":3s5x0nqa said:
The BE OD is hard to beat in front of a clean Marshall. I was doing this with my DSL and the results were extremely satisfying to say the least.

Yes, definitely!!! I use it in on the low input of my Cameron Atomica and it crushes. The Savage Drive is also killer in front a low to medium gain Marshall style amp.

metalmaniac93":2xcuflgo said:
SDMF38":2xcuflgo said:

Yes, definitely!!! I use it in on the low input of my Cameron Atomica and it crushes. The Savage Drive is also killer in front a low to medium gain Marshall style amp.
Yeah if you are running a CLEAN amp, then the BE is great IMHO. If you are running a crunchy amp then there are DOZENS of options.

JerEvil":2jdtmsle said:
metalmaniac93":2jdtmsle said:
SDMF38":2jdtmsle said:

Yeah if you are running a CLEAN amp, then the BE is great IMHO. If you are running a crunchy amp then there are DOZENS of options.

This is what i was considering, having the amp clean and using a stand alone distortion. One project i just boost with a maxon but the other project i use delay and verb etc om a clean channel.

If you're using it with your JCM800 in a low gain setting my top choice would be the Thorpy Gunshot, but I'd also highly recommend a Thorpy Warthog, Jetter Gold, Maxon TBO-9, or a Landgraff (I have a Landgraff clone by Airis (fantastic pedal, but still haven't tried an actual one)). These pedals can also be equally great in front of a high gain amp, but won't have the tightness or focus for modern metal. For that my favorite would be the savage, but my other keepers for that are my KHDK Ghould Screamer, Airis Proto Drive, and Airis Tight (one off pedal)

The Bogner Ecstasy Blue and Red have served me well in front of the low gain input on my 2204. But I just love the TS9 in front of the high gain input. LOTS of versatility between the two inputs.

Not tried it, but the demos of the Suhr Eclipse into a clean channel are very convincing

The BE-OD is phenomenal in front of a clean amp! But turn down the internal trimpot gain to a hair below 9:00. Too much gain with the stock 12:00 setting. Amazing with this simple adjustment.

I have a BE-OD, which sounds awesome in front of my clean Marshalls. My Freaking Sick 30v, however, edges it out.

Rick Lee":3lsamqu5 said:
I have a BE-OD, which sounds awesome in front of my clean Marshalls. My Freaking Sick 30v, however, edges it out.

I've seen a couple of the 30v vids now, it does sound mean as hell.

If you can get the JCM800 into a bit of crunch, then the klon types are really cool. I love the Rockett Archer. However, that isn't for high-gain stuff, just a really cool rock sound.

you guys weren't lying about this savage pedal....got one today and it is instantly my favorite pedal used as a boost... wow.

Back