NEWCABDAY

D-Rock

My JVM sounds great through this thing! First time playing the EVH speakers and WOW! They sure are a nice change from my predominantly V30 based sound.

Yeah the EVH cabs are well made. Pretty sure the 2x12's have the G12h30 70th anniversary speakers in them. The 4x12's have the EVH greenbacks.
Glad you like the sound of the cab!

HNCD!

I've got 2 212EVH cabs...I agree. They are awesome sounding.

ETA: Yours is "brand new"...correct? It has no F (Fender) designation next to the 5150III.

Here is a picture of my older 212 and the "brand new" 212 i just got a few weeks back. Notice the F tag on the older, but not the newer.

Fusedbrain: Yes correct, I actually just realized myself that they were G12H30 70th Anniversaries. Never played them before either!
I've dabbled in speakers, but over the years it's always been V30s.

MrDowntown: No Fender "F" on the nameplate. This cab is new to me, but it's a dead mint bedroom queen. Speaker time I don't know, but I'll sure be giving them a workout! I don't really have any concern playing a 100w head through it either. Moderate volumes only. I'll add a V30 412 to the equation if I want to really open the amp up.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on the 70th Anniversary speakers?

I've read of people swapping them out in this cab, but these speakers sound great IMO. Squishy, smooth and thick under high gain. They're good for hearing more of the amps mids instead mostly the speaker's mids. The highs are totally tolerable. Present, but not spikey.

Adding an oversized, ported V30 412 makes the whole thing sound like hot, gooey lava...

I like the tilt too...

-that KRANK cab is the real beast, I'd take it over any MESA,Marshall,BOGNER or just about any other factory cab,..

-if you like the "Annie's" your in luck because you can get them at a very good price on the used market, I had a pair and couldn't get them out of my cab fast enough, I would consider them for a dark, or smooth voiced amp thou.

Thanks, I suppose ultimately it depends on your rig and preference/needs. I think this cab is a nice change and compliments my current amp and 412s...(the Krank and a Mesa Trad)

FYI; That is actually a rather early Krank cab and is built like a brick shit house.
Solid as f@ck and ridiculously thick sounding. I pulled out the front loaded Eminence V12s from it years ago, and rear loaded 2 x Chinese V30s on top and 2 x WGS Vet 30s on the bottom and rewired them in series. BIG tone improvement would be an understatement...

D-Rock":10hhir48 said:
Thanks, I suppose ultimately it depends on your rig and preference/needs. I think this cab is a nice change and compliments my current amp and 412s...(the Krank and a Mesa Trad)

FYI; That is actually a rather early Krank cab and is built like a brick shit house.
Solid as f@ck and ridiculously thick sounding. I pulled out the front loaded Eminence V12s from it years ago, and rear loaded 2 x Chinese V30s on top and 2 x WGS Vet 30s on the bottom and rewired them in series. BIG tone improvement would be an understatement...

-that's bad ass!!,.. I never understood the appeal, or the reason Krank liked and put V12's in them, musta been DIMES speaker of choice, wanna know the secret of your KRANK KAB, its made out of poplar,solid wood boards, only plywood in them is the baffle and the rear panel, I have an old Fender solid pine board Bass Man cab, it don't matter what speaker's I put in it, or what amp I throw on top of it, it always sounds fuckin killah!!

-question for ya, what's the dimensions of that cab?, really interested in how deep it is, my Fender cab is tall and wide, but only 11 1/2" deep, I'm thinking that they did this because that's pretty much the widest solid wood boards are, well unless you want something special, and we all know Leo was a tight wad,

sg guy":37b4jakk said:
D-Rock":37b4jakk said:

-that's bad ass!!,.. I never understood the appeal, or the reason Krank liked and put V12's in them, musta been DIMES speaker of choice, wanna know the secret of your KRANK KAB, its made out of poplar,solid wood boards, only plywood in them is the baffle and the rear panel, I have an old Fender solid pine board Bass Man cab, it don't matter what speaker's I put in it, or what amp I throw on top of it, it always sounds fuckin killah!!

-question for ya, what's the dimensions of that cab?, really interested in how deep it is, my Fender cab is tall and wide, but only 11 1/2" deep, I'm thinking that they did this because that's pretty much the widest solid wood boards are, well unless you want something special, and we all know Leo was a tight wad,
The KRANK is 14" deep and 31.5" tall. I also removed all the dampening material that the factory put inside these cabs. I'm always looking for another one, but haven't even seen one in my neck of the woods for years.

-there are 4 cab's that I'm always looking for, your KRANK cab is one of them, there were 2 of them on Guitar Center's used site, one was in the $350 range.

Back