NAD!! SLO-Pure rock classic/Lifetime amp for sure!

nevusofota

Finally, after all these decades, I own an SLO! In the early 90's I saw a local band by the name of Jimi's Chicken Shack. The guitar tone was massive and perfect. Just the right amount of grit, clarity, growl and sustain. I saw the Soldano badge on their amps and new I had to have one. Back then everyone was using Mesa but the SLO sounded so much better to my ears. I could never afford the SLO in my early years so after graduate school in 2007, and with the onset of a new band, I decided to go for an SLO. I learned that the local GC had one so I went there to purchase it. It was sitting there next to an EVH 100 that was just unboxed. Well, I decided on the EVH. It was about $2k cheaper, had 3 channels (which I thought at the time would serve the new band better) and was the "new thing". It sounded really good and I couldn't justify the extra cash (thousands) for the Soldano. The EVH served me well as I used it as my main amp until about 2013.
I put the EVH up for sale a few weeks ago with no bites. I then saw an unmodded SLO (with black alligator tolex :rock: ) and ATA case for sale locally. I called the guy and the timing couldn't have been more perfect as he was looking to downsize and trade for an amp + cash. And it just so happens he was looking for an EVH. The transaction went smooth and the SLO is perfect. Sounds incredible. It's the perfect rock/metal tone. Everything I thought it would be from when I first heard one in person at the JCS show decades earlier. With some research I found that the amp was originally purchased from the Hollywood Guitar Center.

SLO comments:
- tone jumps out of the speakers.
- I love the high notes, great lead tone
- chords have a great distinct growl. Different from Bogner and Friedman.
- the loop sucks tone as known. You can compensate somewhat with the presence control but the notes still don't jump out as well.
- I've been using it with a 412 v30's Mesa cab and I see no need for a depth control as long as the bass is near cranked (at low volume)
- it sounds better than I thought at lower volume, but of course it's glorious cranked.
- it's the first amp I've owned where I like the unboosted tone more than boosted. I've liked the EP Booster with every amp I've played, except the SLO.
- I've never played an amp with this much inherent sustain, even on the crunch channel with low gain.
- the overall feel of the amp is perfect.
- it's unbelievably quiet for how much gain it puts out.
- its one of those lifetime amps. I'll be passing it down to my kids.

congrats man, i love these amps.

i owned 2 of them and wished i had kept one of them, the 2nd one i bought was from the guitar center in rockville in around 2007 and it was the better of the two that i owned.
i like them way better than the evh amps, i think you made a good choice.

halebox":11nrn81g said:
You never know what life brings you, but I don't see it happening. I own a few amps. I could see all of them potentially leave except my early 80's 2204 and this SLO.

Congrats. I've had my SLO for 15+ years and can't imagine I'll ever let it go. It's simply a great all around amp. It's extremely flexible as the amp is so responsive to what you put into it.

Les Zombie":pxcokgwu said:
congrats man, i love these amps.

i owned 2 of them and wished i had kept one of them, the 2nd one i bought was from the guitar center in rockville in around 2007 and it was the better of the two that i owned.
i like them way better than the evh amps, i think you made a good choice.
I also have the EVH 50w so it wasn't too hard to see the 100w leave the stable. Especially on size alone. The 100w is a behemoth to haul around. I was actually surprised to see that the SLO isn't all that big and that it's actually smaller than a standard Marshall head.

Yeah, around 2007 seemed to be the peak of guitar center in Rockville and Towson. They were both "platinum" stores and had all the high end stuff. They have nothing now, besides some Friedman's. I guess that's the case for modern GC's everywhere.

peckhart":z9aagkhg said:
Awesome congrats! And I love JCS! You must be from Maryland?
Yes, sir! Seen them many times at the 8x10. I've heard they have started booking some dates again recently.

Congrats man. I wanted one for years and when I got one, it was even better than it hoped. Keepers for sure

Congrats. SLO is also the amp I've wanted for years and years and just never has happened. One day I'll join the club.

Sweet! Congrats. Killer amp for sure.
Some tasty spots on the eq make that amp pop at lower volumes. The rhythm channel is underrated. Lovely amp.

Back