Mooer preamp pedals

Ok got mine today, spent two hours giving it a go.

Fit and finish are as expected, no complaints. Knobs are a bit small for my fat fingers but workable.

I sold Hagen a month ago so only had Einstein and Dmoll to test with. It does immediately evoke hagen for me which I played for two years.

I know with the different amps there will be a difference. The clean channel is excellent and was simple to dial in to exactly match the dmoll and einstein.

The dirt channel took more tweaking, I do understand they are different preamps but the mooer can be REALLY crispy bright in the top end.

I WAS able to dial them in REALLY close. No one would complain about either tone. None of the knobs were at noon. It has "ten times" the gain of the lead chanel of the dmoll lmao. 3pm=12pm .

IF set too bright the pedal reveals really crispy harmonics, way too harsh. Very fatiguing. They CAN be dialed out.

I see why they reccomend a tube power amp, a little easier to get smoother saturated metal sounds.

The feel and dynamics of the pedal is good.

Compared to the amps and my tube buffers it is a little more compressed but not bad at all.

Crunch is where all the cheap modelers lack and this one does also a bit.

There is a weird decay when it transitions from crunch to clean through the decay. Affects sustain a hair also.

Putting the pedal before a gain channel and using high gain will reveal these artifacts easily should you want to hear them. Unuseable as an overdrive. Sounds horrid as expected.

I haven't recorded with it.

All in all its cool. If I needed a direct clean amp solution I would DEFINITELY try one of these.

As a backup preamp, quick demo device, new tone for that one muse cover song etc, it is great.

Don't expect it to compete with A list modelers and you'll probably like it.

It sounds better than the original line 6 to me, haven't heard HD. Sounds like Kemper to me. Like profiling. Id say quality similar to PG Bias. I like it better than any SS distortion pedal I have played. Fun for grab n go, hopefully it records well.

Oh and these idiots named it "gas station" smh... ITS PRONOUNCED "DEET-ZUL"!

Finally got my 001 today, after sitting in USPS never never land in Kearny, NJ for an extra week...

Running direct with cab sims on, using my Jackson Warrior with stock Jackson humbuckers into my monitor (Roland CUBE Street EX).

Cleans are ok, good not great IMO, but usable. With the gain at noon and guitar at 8+ I was getting a good Fenderish tube OD sound, I had to cut the gain on the clean channel to clean it up. I takes pedals well, I used my Xtomp with several dirt models, and my Boss Metal Core, and then put the Xtomp after the 001 for modulation, delay and reverb all sounded good.

The high gain channel with everything set a noon was sweet, full high gain saturation; I cut the bass and boosted the treble worked great.

Next I put it into my G-System in the insert loop, I was getting a noise pulse using the G-System power for the 001, it went away when I used another power supply. My G-System patches have to be dialed in for the 001, but the power issue is a PITA.

This 001 is tiny, sound: clean is usable, high gain is very good, I could make this work with pedals or my G-System for a direct board.

I'm impressed. Not looking forward to dialing in the G-System though lol. Two more Xtomps + 001, my tuner and Crybaby mini wah would be a great direct board IMO. Too bad the Xtomps are so expensive...
2rmuwqu.jpg

I did a video earlier and still have to edit it and post it online, but I got to play my Cali mk3 pedal direct quite a bit this weekend, and these were the main points that I encountered:
- The feel of the pedal was great for palm mutes, pinch harmonics, etc. However, it did not have the best note decay or sustain
- Overall there was a "tubby-ness" I couldn't dial out- taking down the bass just made the tone thin but didn't solve the bass problem, particularly for open low E string chugging
- It reacted better with pedals being placed in front of it rather than after it. It was kind of weird using my mxr EQ in front of it instead of after it like I'm used to. My Hardwire reverb pedal placed after it also didn't sound great direct, although through a cab without the speaker emulation it sounded normal. Not sure if this is because the signal was changed from instrument level to line level or something like that- the booklet that comes with it doesn't really give you much information.

Will send you guys the link to the vid as soon as it's done! YouTube noob coming up, lol. Cheers

Steinmetzify":rlmghqoe said:
errrrrl":rlmghqoe said:
moltenmetalburn":rlmghqoe said:

Holy fuck... got me interested... I want to hear some direct recording with cab sims now.

Onboard cab:

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A% ... zaym9556m0

Two Notes WOS III w/Engl 4x12:

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A% ... 1w7072xhnd

Thanks man, gonna go listen now!

Update: I think i'm gonna have to give one a try. I may copy that youtube guy and do the Mooorer 002 with my grind pedal in front... Thanks Steinmetzify for the links, that helped quite a bit!

VH4_BigRig":u16jqv0i said:
I did a video earlier and still have to edit it and post it online, but I got to play my Cali mk3 pedal direct quite a bit this weekend, and these were the main points that I encountered:
- The feel of the pedal was great for palm mutes, pinch harmonics, etc. However, it did not have the best note decay or sustain
- Overall there was a "tubby-ness" I couldn't dial out- taking down the bass just made the tone thin but didn't solve the bass problem, particularly for open low E string chugging
- It reacted better with pedals being placed in front of it rather than after it. It was kind of weird using my mxr EQ in front of it instead of after it like I'm used to. My Hardwire reverb pedal placed after it also didn't sound great direct, although through a cab without the speaker emulation it sounded normal. Not sure if this is because the signal was changed from instrument level to line level or something like that- the booklet that comes with it doesn't really give you much information.

Will send you guys the link to the vid as soon as it's done! YouTube noob coming up, lol. Cheers

What do you mean by tubbyness ? Did you try it with lower tunings ?

These pedals can be BRIGHT, the darker the power amp the better. Id love to see them scoped and compared. There is plenty of high available no matter how dark you dial things.

I keep finding new and awesome sounds with unorthodox settings.

USE ONLY YOUR EARS WIH THESE!

The cleans in the 001 are a bit lifeless, but usable; going to try more non-standard control settings as mentioned above.

The 001 has found a home (for now), paired with Xtomp in front of it, in the loop of my Boss SY-300 which doesn't have amp sims; I can add effects from the SY-300 to the guitar signal path or share them with the synth paths. The synth can be turned off, to use the SY-300 as an MFX. Now I need to edit/create patches for this configuration...

I'm still impressed with the 001 for the price/size...once I get more life (sparkle? jangle? chime?) into the cleans this direct board will be a blast for experimental sounds.

Back