Axe-fx II effects alternative with a Triple Rectifier?

mortega76

So I recently got a taste of a real tube amp and I'm beyond ecstatic. I can't get the Axe-fx II to sound as good as the Triple Recto so I've been using my Recto for live/practice. I've been missing my effects so I'm contemplating buying a small pedal for a tuner, delay, whammy and wah. I've been looking at the Digitech Element XP, the RP360 XP, a GMajor, Zoom G3X. I really don't want to use the Axe-fx with FCB1010, I'm hoping to go more compact but want to get the best unit for less than $150. I initially thought about getting separate pedals but that would be a bit too much to have to worry about so I wanted a small all-in-one unit. A plus would be to find a unit that could change channels on the Recto as well, I don't know if that's even possible at the price point I'm looking for. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

The chance of finding something you're happy with at that price point is very slim, IMO. You're working with a top of the line effects processor as it is in the Axe-FX II. Stepping down to the $150 range will only lead to disappointment. If you're happy with the effects in the Axe-FX 2, why not sell it for an FX8? Fractal Audio's effects only floorboard processor. It's a bit pricey and has a lot of options, which you seem to be trying to avoid, but you'd be getting all of the algorithms you're already used to in a pedalboard format.

Could go with an AX8 as well, which is a scaled-down Axe-FX on the floor. Use that for effects only with the recto, and run the amp sims when you're away from the full amp rig.

The cheapest route while retaining the quality would be a MIDI floorboard for the Axe-FX. You've already got the unit. It can control your Recto, and you can use both present and stompbox mode for easy effects access in the same vein as stocking a pedalboard up with a bunch of individual products. I know I'm not really answering your question here, but it's worth reconsidering the situation. Why would you want to step down to a far inferior sounding effects unit when you've got one of the best in your house? Unless you plan to sell it due to needing funds, I don't see why you'd set yourself up for disappointment like that.

If you're stuck on the low price, there are some people here who have good things to say about the Digitech RP floorboards. I've not used one myself..at least not in the past 10 years. I can't think of a single unit under $150 that has whammy and wah effects onboard. A Digitech Whammy is $150 on its own. If you find a unit that has those options, there's no way it'll have an onboard expression pedal, let alone one that works worth a damn.

Here's an RP1000 used on Reverb for $190. I wouldn't call this unit compact, though.
https://reverb.com/item/4562274-digitech-rp-1000

The RP 360 XP is smaller, but I have no idea what it sounds like. Others here have vouched for the RP1000 as decent for its price. I would like to think the 360 XP is as well, but I don't know for sure.
https://reverb.com/item/210787-digitech ... -streaming

Hey there Casey, thanks for the insight. You know, I've been a fractalite for almost 10 years (since back in the Ultra days) and I've been trying to avoid the hassle of dealing with tubes since forever. Before buying this Triple Rec, I never owned a tube amp or even played one for any significant amount of time. The first time I remember hearing a tube amp live was a DSL 100 (?) and it was phenomenal. The first time I ever played a tube amp was a Marshall JVM410 at the old Mars Music and for the first time I heard and felt that tube sizzle that was amazing. My first amp was a Valvestate 200, next amp was a Vetta II Head, next up was an Axe-fx Ultra (firmware 3.x if I remember correctly), next up was the Axe-fx II. I went through at least 4-5 different power amps and the only one that sounded awesome was a TS100 with a busted 2nd channel which was no where near enough volume for the band that I'm in (that and the stubbornness of not wanting to deal with tubes). Now owning my first tube amp, I'm loving my tone. In hindsight, I should have just bought a TS100 and would have been happy... that sizzle was there in spades.

Now I'm trying to keep my live rig simple, so I 'm hoping for a simple no frills front end multi-effects unit that I can throw in my bag. I found a great deal on a Digitech RP360XP but some of the samples that I've heard for the amp sims (which in reality, I may never use but would love to have it as a backup) and they weren't that great. Just hoping that someone will chime in with a similar situation and say "this is what I used and it was awesome".

Why not use both? Use the Axe in the recto's FX loop and have the best of both worlds- you could use it just for your effects, or use the Axe preamp models through a tube power amp. Win/win! Wouldn't know how to best set it up that way though, never used the four cable method or anything like that myself, some other guys on here could probably fill you in on how best to do it! Cheers

I'm not sure there is anything to do everything you listed for $150 unless it is a very cheap gizmo that sounds horrible but has every effect.

There is another thread on here about the TC Nova System. You can find those used pretty cheap and seems like it has almost everything you're asking for.

Hey fellas, thanks a bunch for all the great info... I'm wanted to try to get an all-in-one effects pedal to use as a 2nd (or 1st) rig. I don't want to have to lug around my 4u with Axe-fx/Power Amp and Power strip along with the tube amp and cab. I either want to take my 4U with Behringer FCB1010 or my Triple Rec and effects pedal setup. I've been doing some research and I don't think I'll find better quality effects for less than $200 that includes a controller...

Stratjacket... you hit it out of the park with the Nova System suggestion. I found one for $200 and jumped on it. Now I just gotta get a expression pedal and I'll be set. Will I be able have the Nova change from channel to channel on the Triple Rec and then have it enable effects when I go to the clean channel with one button?

Thanks for all the assistance fellas... the TC Electronic Nova System just came in last and I've been playing it a bit last night. The effects sound pretty good as far as I can tell. I also was able to score (for $20) a Roland FV-50H that I'm assuming will work because I saw this Reverb sale showing it as an expression pedal so I thought I'd give it a try. I have a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

1. What cable do I need to use to connect the Roland FV-50H as an expression pedal to control the whammy in the Nova System?
2. What is the best way to connect the Nova System to the Triple Rectifier (I don't plan on using the drive of the Nova but I've read that the drive input is a better input than the line input)? I've read some things about the Triple not having issues with the FX Loop as well. From what I also read the Nova can't do 4CM, is that correct?
3. I had a wild thought about using the Nova System as a controller to the Axe-fx 2 rig and not use my FCB1010, is that possible?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Edit: 4. How can I change the channels on the Triple using the Nova?

I have a Nova system that I use with a single channel amp. I can't remember if it does channel switching. In answer to your question, no 4CM. If you don't want to use the drive, then you switch the setting and use it like a traditional multi-effects. I didn't like having all of the effects in front of my head, so running in the loop worked for me. The downside of the Nova is the overall patch switching. You need the three button footswitch or better yet, a midi controller. I have tried both and the three button footswitch design is crap. You have to step and hold to cycle through groups, meaning each patch is 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, the next group is 2-1, 2-2, 2-3. The footswitch allows you to select x-1,x-2,x-3. If you want to switch to y-1, you have to hold the 3 button, until it flashes, then press the one button. It is not usable on the fly. This limits each song to 3 settings. Probably not a deal breaker, but if you're playing progressive stuff, with various delay settings, it won't work. Lastly, if you run it in the loop, you have to change the internal input/output levels to make sure your signal strength is correct. Most units have knobs for this, but the Nova is internal.

Edit: I believe most volume pedal/CC pedals are stereo cables. TRS on both ends.

Thanks for the quick response shredhead7... I had read about the switching delay and patch layout of the Nova and it definitely will take some getting used to. One good thing is that I am really just going to use one patch for what I use which is On/Off Delay, On/Off Mod (Phaser or Flange... can't remember which one) and the Whammy. So one patch and turning On/Off effects will probably work for me. One other thing that I'm hoping to do is change the channels on the Triple as well... gotta add that to my list.

Played around with the Nova into the Triple last night... couple things stood out.

1. Nova in the front: whammy, flange, phaser, drive and compressor worked really well. In the FX loop they sound awful.
2. Nova in the loop: delay, reverb worked really well. In the front not so much.
3. Send/Return dialed at noon on both: undesired out of phase sound, every effect was running in parallel with the amp's distortion
4. Send/Return maxed out: much better sound but the tone sounds a little 'off' and there is still a little bit of bleed from the amp signal
5. Roland FV-50H with a TRS cable: the full range of motion on the pedal goes from 0 to 100% at about 70% of the way towards heel down. I already calibrated the pedal, is there a way to fix this?

This is where the Axe-fx shines with grid matrix and being able to place every effect wherever I want...

Mo - you'd be best suited to sell your Axe FX and Nova, buy an FX8 & a couple of expression pedals and embrace tubes using the 4CM. Ever since I've known you, you been struggling with the tone on that Axe FX. I think the Axe sounds good, but when you put it side by side with a real amp with a cab, it's not even close. Or buy the AX8, if you still want to use Axe preamps.

Hey there Matt!

Yeah... I know you're right... dammit! I was trying to go on the cheap but with tone I guess you can't.

Back